Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Feeler: Group Buy on Forged Internals

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2004, 08:04 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Feeler: Group Buy on Forged Internals

Mods, I know this really doesnt belong in this forum, but I think its appropriate, given the recently damaged motors due to weak internals, and there are likely many F/I guys that would be interested in this. Upon completion of this thread, I will post an official group buy thread in the correct forum thanks!

Given the recent problems with several F/I members motors, I'd like to setup a group buy on forged internals. I've been speaking directly to Arias and Pauter about this proposal, and I have a preliminary idea on the price, which will likely be reduced depending on how many people are interested.

Group Buy Compenents (must be purchased together)

1) Pauter forged pistons
2) Arias pistons @ 8.5:1 comperession

This setup has been tested in a few cars, and Pauter rods are PERFECT out of the box, and dont require additional machining like some of the other brands of rods. Arias pistons has a long reputation of making quality pistons for the sport compact world.

The price for the set will be at most...$1800 and could be as low as $1600. From the the time we place the order, the production time will about 4 weeks, and unless the items are in stock, both companies require a 50% deposit. This set includes everything you need to bolt on the rods and pistons, included rod bolts, wrist pins, rings, etc..etc...everything. The only additional part you need is a new set of rod bearings from Nissan, since its not recommended that you use the original bearings on new pistons.

To make this work, we should try to stick to the "off the shelf" CR of the Arias pistons. They usually keep them in stock, and they are less expensive then a custom CR request. Orginally, I was leaning towards a 9:1 CR, but after looking at SGP Racings TT at 15'ish PSI putting down 570whp, I noticed his car was making massive torque...even down low...at 8.5:1 compression. So the lower CR can easily be safely offset with more boost. Every tuner I have talked to recommended the 8.5:1 for the TT. That said, we can probably work something out, particularly for the SC guys which may not want a CR as low as 8.5:1

At this point, I am just gauging interest...this is not an official group buy request...yet. So lets get this list going. Please only add your name if you are seriously interested.

One last note, I am not making any money on this group buy whatsoever. I am doing this to help us all get the price price on these parts....I will be paying the same price as everyone else in the group buy.

Pauter Rods/Arias Pistons Group Buy Interest List:

1) Gq_626
2)
3)
4)
6)
Old 07-31-2004, 08:09 AM
zimbo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Add me to the list as I am definitely interested. I would probably prefer higher compression if only because when I sell this car I'm going to have to take it back to stock (or as close as possible) and I really don't wanna have to take apart the engine twice.

--Steve
Old 07-31-2004, 08:29 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

1) Gq_626
2) zimbo
3)
4)
6)
Old 07-31-2004, 08:34 AM
KPierson
Banned

I am very interested also. I have a 'spare' VQ35 engine block sitting in the shop right now. 8.5 is a little lower then I want to go also, but if the price is right and 9:1 isn't availible I might go for it...

Kevin
Old 07-31-2004, 08:38 AM
turbo-maxima

You could try a 3.5 maxima headgasket it is thinner and would raise the compression a little.
Old 07-31-2004, 09:03 AM
Lorca@Z1

We have a custom line forged 8.5:1 pistons and rods from two well known companies that should be available within 6 weeks or so. Give us a call if you guys are willing to wait that long. www.300zx.com
Old 07-31-2004, 09:19 AM
adxcpa

Thumbs up

Put me on the list of interested buyers. I am assuming this comes with the rods as well???

ADX
Old 07-31-2004, 10:20 AM
Enron Exec

gq_626, I was going to set something like this up myself but now that you seemed interested, please go right ahead! Count me in. Id be happy with 8.5:1 but if we can, I prefer 9.0:1.
Old 07-31-2004, 12:58 PM
igor@af

I am interested in 9.0 as well.
Old 07-31-2004, 02:59 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

1) Gq_626
2) zimbo
3) KPierson
4) adxcpa
5) Enron Exec
6) igor@af

Sounds good fellas.....I am assuming that those on the list are REALLY serious about buying them. Thanks.

Last edited by Sharif@Forged; 07-31-2004 at 03:03 PM.
Old 07-31-2004, 03:10 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Originally posted by adxcpa
Put me on the list of interested buyers. I am assuming this comes with the rods as well???

ADX
Yes, rods and pistons...the compelete set of everything you need.

Of course, as you build the motor, there are other options you can add, such as stronger head studs, gaskets, cams, valve retainers, springs, closing the deck, re-sleeving..etc..etc..sky is the limit.

Personally, since my goal is roughly 600whp max, I am doing rods, pistons, bearings, head/main studs, and thats about it. Fuel system upgrade would also be required.

Purpose of this thread is really just guage interest in the rods and pistons...and I'm leaving it up to everyone else to figure out what else they need in terms of additional engine parts and labor.
Old 07-31-2004, 03:19 PM
THX723

Sharif ... you're out of control!!!
Old 07-31-2004, 03:46 PM
whosdady

Sharif,

I take it you saw my PM?

Yes I would be interested if there was an option for stock compression. I already bought cams and I have a supercharger so the stock compression is what I am most interested in. Please put me on the list if you think this can be done. It sounds like there are many others that would like something other than 8.5:1.
Old 07-31-2004, 04:17 PM
zimbo

I guess my question is this... If I were to ****** up this group buy, what's the most HP I am realistically looking at if I go with stock compression and change only the rods, pistons, and cams? Can I do a (reasonably) safe 500 rwhp?

--Steve
Old 07-31-2004, 05:40 PM
G3po

Default GB of forged internals

I'm definately interested , would you target .02 overbore?
I'm waiting on the outcome of Ferdanito7's block.
Old 07-31-2004, 05:51 PM
KPierson
Banned

Originally posted by gq_626

Sounds good fellas.....I am assuming that those on the list are REALLY serious about buying them. Thanks. [/B]
I assure you I've VERY serious, I think I am even the only one who already has a VQ35 out of the car and ready to work on... all I need now are parts!

Kevin
Old 07-31-2004, 07:35 PM
Bini2

GQ, add my name please.
Old 07-31-2004, 08:28 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

I take it you saw my PM?
yes sir. I will add you to the list. Based on the feedback, looks like we'll be offering the compression ratio of your choice. Just keep in mind that the 8.5:1 is in stock, and the other ratios would be custom produced in about 4-5 weeks. Since its safe to say that we only want to build our engine ONE TIME...i think it's important to maintain some flexibility and get people the CR's that they want.

Yes I would be interested if there was an option for stock compression.
If you plan on increaseing boost, you may want to reconsider this. If you leave the compression at stock 10.3:1, you'll still be fighting the detonation demon....and even forged internals wont save you from that at the stock compression level. Seems like a couple of the SC folks are leaning towards 9.1:1 to 9.5:1 But as stated, the CR is your choice.

I assure you I've VERY serious, I think I am even the only one who already has a VQ35 out of the car and ready to work on... all I need now are parts!
That's the spirit!

I guess my question is this... If I were to ****** up this group buy, what's the most HP I am realistically looking at if I go with stock compression and change only the rods, pistons, and cams? Can I do a (reasonably) safe 500 rwhp?
500whp on stock compression is a risky proposition. Just keep in mind that forged internals are not the cure-all. They are not bulletproof. Poor tuning or detonation can still destory them quickly. They are just significnatly stronger that stock. Since there are several Vortech's running very close to 450whp on stock internals, I'd think that 500whp on forged internals is within reach...the reliability, however, with stock CR is debatable.

I'm definately interested , would you target .02 overbore?
Yes..they can do .02 overbore....as you wish.

1) Gq_626
2) zimbo
3) KPierson
4) adxcpa
5) Enron Exec
6) igor@af
7)whosdady
8) G3po
9) Bini2
Old 07-31-2004, 08:38 PM
GurgenPB
UltimateSleeper

Sharif.... I knew that it was only a matter of time..... I would love to do a 9:1 set pistons/rods.... any idea on what the labor would be?
Old 07-31-2004, 08:49 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Originally posted by gurgenpb01
Sharif.... I knew that it was only a matter of time..... I would love to do a 9:1 set pistons/rods.... any idea on what the labor would be?
muaahaaaa....I knew you'd come to the dark side.

Labor costs are anyone's guess...they could be all across the board. My guess is between $2000-$4000, depending on what you would like done. Engine building is very much an art-form, so I wouldn't just take it to a normal tuner shop. Would have to be someone with great experience doing engine building...not necessarily tuning.

Maybe we can ask Eric at Street Image to do a "group buy" on engine building for us. If I was on SoCal, I would recommend him..since he's done many a bottom-end rebuild.

Quick Reply: Feeler: Group Buy on Forged Internals