Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Toasted my fuel injectors

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2004, 05:26 PM
dfw350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Toasted my fuel injectors

I received a call from Grubbs today telling me that my fuel injectors are blown. They must be replaced before my newly rebuild Vortech unit can be installed. Well this is my first warrantee experience since the SC install. As I suspected Grubbs stood behind the injectors + labor 100%. They offered me the option of installing stock injectors back into the vehicle or aftermarket injectors. I decided to go with RC 440 I believe was the choice they recommended. So by the end of the week everything should be back to normal after two weeks in the shop.

Question:
Can someone tell me the correct fuel pump to install so I can remove the AUX fuel pump that comes with the Vortech?
Old 09-06-2004, 05:37 PM
AmyCroft

Smile How about PE 380's

Are you going to Max Performance?

The 380's from PE will not require.. Loom Changes... And Could be controlled with TechnoSquare. ECU upgrades.

The RC440's are on Off

Call ThechnoSquare.. For the inside Scoop..

Cheers Amy -
Old 09-06-2004, 05:45 PM
AmyCroft

Default Re: How about PE 380's

Originally posted by AmyCroft
Are you going to Max Performance?

The 380's from PE will not require.. Loom Changes... And Could be controlled with TechnoSquare. ECU upgrades.

The RC440's are on Off - They Need a New Connector.. ( Save old parts ) The Hieght of the RC440 require the Brackets on the fuel rail to be ground down ... So when the Plentum is bolted down it does not crack the longer 440's..

380's are the same hieght as stock...

Call ThechnoSquare.. For the inside Scoop..

Cheers Amy -
Old 09-06-2004, 05:52 PM
dfw350z

Default Re: Re: How about PE 380's

I currently have the TS Flash and use the R4 software to control Fuel/Timing. I plan on keeping the piggy back system in place so that I can fine tune as needed on the Dyno. However if I lived near TS I would go the way you spoke of.
Old 09-06-2004, 06:36 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Without something to scale those 440cc injectors, your car will run really crappy (rich) at idle and cruise...might not even want to start. Any thoughts on how to address that?

Everyone running 440cc injectors are using the eManage to scale. If you TS reflash to 380cc, that will get your close..but not close enough.

If you want something that doesnt require eManage, then get 380cc PE injectors, and get the TS 380cc reflash.

In terms of fuel pump, remove your AUX pump, and swap out the stock in-tank pump with a Walbro 255. It's also advisable to install a rising rate FPR and return line setup.

Last edited by Sharif@Forged; 09-06-2004 at 06:44 PM.
Old 09-06-2004, 07:07 PM
dfw350z

“Without something to scale those 440cc injectors, your car will run really crappy (rich) at idle and cruise...might not even want to start. Any thoughts on how to address that?”

** My tuner uses the R4 software to control all fuel settings from idle to redline.

“In terms of fuel pump, remove your AUX pump, and swap out the stock in-tank pump with a Walbro 255. It's also advisable to install a rising rate FPR and return line setup.”

** I agree that the Walbro 255 is a much better setup than the AUX system. My understanding is that the G35 has a return system. Can anyone confirm this for me?

** FPR – Excuse my ignorance but doesn’t the Vortech system have a FPR that could be used?
Old 09-06-2004, 07:44 PM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the ATI and I got the RC440's the TS ECU flash and the Walbro. All is good.
Old 09-06-2004, 07:56 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

DFW, I can't make it out from your post. You said you have a TS reflash, but I dont think its the 380cc reflash. Sounds like Br Bonz got his car working on 440cc injectors with a 380cc reflash, so you could do the same thing. Does the R4 software allow you to scale the injectors, or essentially lean out the entire curve via MAF alteration? Some softwares let you do this...others do not. But since you were running stock injectors before, I dont think you have the 380cc TS reflash...I bet you just have a normal reflash. Sorry for the confusion.

Regarding the FPR, correct me if I am wrong, but the FPR that the Vortech uses is not a return-type system. If so, I'd go with a compelete return style with FPR, ala AAM fuel system, or a make-your-own return system.
Old 09-06-2004, 08:35 PM
zimbo

I'm guessing that he as the L-Spec reflash. The Vortech kit has an FPR and an additional fuel pump (I think I read that it's a Walbro 155 inside). You might be able to use those components with a simple washer change on the FPR since it's 8:1 out of the box. Also, you can tell the R4 software to prevent the auxiliary fuel pump from ever coming on if you want.

The R4 software lets you control how much fuel to deliver even when you're not under boost, but the question will be if you can lower things enough that the 440 injectors won't be too rich. This is something I always meant to try (even bought the injectors) but didn't ever get around to it.

If you're going to be the guinea pig, I would recommend having Grubbs order you an extra injector harness so you can go back to the stock injectors if it doesn't work.

--Steve
Old 09-06-2004, 08:46 PM
dfw350z

If you're going to be the guinea pig, I would recommend having Grubbs order you an extra injector harness so you can go back to the stock injectors if it doesn't work.

I think I will do just that, they were planning on soldering into my existing harness.

Thanks - Tommy
Old 09-07-2004, 03:29 AM
booger

Tommy...Do you know what psi your aux. fuel pump was running at....at WOT under boost ? Ive heard some of the Vortech guys say theres run at 100psi . Ive never seen mine go over 90psi . Just wonder if this may be the cause of the short life span of the injectors....Bill
Old 09-07-2004, 03:39 AM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Shariff? What did you mean by the "380cc" reflash? I was under the impression that AAM (since they have the Techtom right there) basically did a custom reflash for me on the spot. I could be wrong, but that's what I thought.
Old 09-07-2004, 05:24 AM
dfw350z

Originally posted by booger
Tommy...Do you know what psi your aux. fuel pump was running at....at WOT under boost ? Ive heard some of the Vortech guys say theres run at 100psi . Ive never seen mine go over 90psi . Just wonder if this may be the cause of the short life span of the injectors....Bill

You are probably correct, I am sure I have just stressed the injectors to the max. As we all do by running them at 100+% during boost. We shall see if they are able to use the R4 software to bring things down as needed.
Old 09-07-2004, 06:55 AM
Mike@Altered
Banned

Originally posted by Dr Bonz
What did you mean by the "380cc" reflash? I was under the impression that AAM (since they have the Techtom right there) basically did a custom reflash for me on the spot.
Ed,

When people are refering to "380cc reflash" they are most likely talking about the Technosquare flash program for the PE 380cc injectors.

You have a custom AAM flash for your ATI Procharger/440cc injectors/AAM Return Fuel System. The program is similar to the flash I made for my 350Z with the 7psi ATI Procherger/440cc injectors/AAM fuel system, with minor adjustments made on the dyno for your pulley upgrade and your particular car.

Hope this helps,
Old 09-07-2004, 08:26 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Originally posted by Dr Bonz
Shariff? What did you mean by the "380cc" reflash? I was under the impression that AAM (since they have the Techtom right there) basically did a custom reflash for me on the spot. I could be wrong, but that's what I thought.

By 380cc reflash, I am talking about the TS Reflash for PE380cc injectors they give with the PE turbo kit. Sounds like AA got things working just fine for you. TS doesnt have an "off the shelf" reflash for 440cc injectors, but that doesn't mean it can't be done.
Old 09-07-2004, 08:29 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Originally posted by booger
If this is correct, then overpressurzing the fuel system directly caused the failure of your stock injectors. Injectors are designed to operate at between 42-52PSI of base line pressure. They are usually OK, running even as high as 65-70psi.....close to 100psi is insane! They will definately overheat/stick open eventually. Not only is the pressure unsafe for injectors, but it's a lot of stress on the fuel lines, fittiings, etc...just not a good solution, IMHO.
Old 09-07-2004, 01:09 PM
IceY2K1Max

I've seen specification sheets on these DEKA injectors and they are rated to a max pressure of 8bar or 116psi. I doubt they're bad from fuel pressure, since boosted Maximas regularly push these injectors from 80-110psi. Some even higher.

My bet is that they're using it as an excuse to get you to buy larger injectors for more safety margin.
Old 09-07-2004, 02:08 PM
booger

Thats good to hear . As my presssure gauge gets up to 80 or 90 psi
Old 09-07-2004, 03:49 PM
IceY2K1Max

Although, they are rated to operate up to that pressure, that doesn't mean they will always.

Age, clogging, electrical damage, and other variables can limit the injectors "max ability" at least from what I've read/heard.

Personally, I wouldn't feel secure in pushing the fuel pressure over 80psi especially over 90% duty cycle. High fuel pressure and high duty cycle is BAD and asking for the injector to go static. If you're going that high on fuel pressure, make sure you monitor duty cycle.
Old 09-07-2004, 05:13 PM
dfw350z

Originally posted by IceY2K1Max
I've seen specification sheets on these DEKA injectors and they are rated to a max pressure of 8bar or 116psi. I doubt they're bad from fuel pressure, since boosted Maximas regularly push these injectors from 80-110psi. Some even higher.

My bet is that they're using it as an excuse to get you to buy larger injectors for more safety margin.

The seals on the injectors where they meet the mounting hole were leaking. That is why I am replacing them.

Quick Reply: Toasted my fuel injectors