Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

My Arias Forged Pistons: Show and Tell

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2004, 05:34 AM
g356gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Lorca@Z1
Looks about like a 300cc implant to me

Are you going to have any coatings applied?
From what I have heard ....if you coat the skirts of the pistons it adds a couple thousandths to the overall diameter of the piston. This has to be allowed for when you have you're machinist bore the block for the new pistons. The pistons come with a spec sheet with what bore size has to be used with the specific type of piston material ( high VS low silicon ) to allow for piston expansion. If you do have them coated make sure the machinist knows this before he punches out the block. If not you are risking abrasion in the bore and a possible seizure event when the motor gets up to temp.
Old 09-14-2004, 07:56 AM
Bini2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looking good.

I decided to have my Tops and Skirts coated, I believe that they have already been sent for coating. I'll post some pics up when they are done.
Old 09-14-2004, 08:04 AM
whosdady

Originally posted by SQUILL
Nice Rolex!
Darn, you beat me to it...
Old 09-14-2004, 08:38 AM
Enron Exec

Originally posted by gq_626
Hehe...thanks everyone for the comments!

I want to keep the car streetable, and long-living, so I'm not shooting for anything more than 550-600whp. I may go ahead and install Darton sleeves as well, for an added layer of strength, safety, and reliability.
I didnt know Darton has sleeves or guards for our blocks.
Old 09-14-2004, 10:20 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Originally posted by Gary Evans
The sharp edges around the machined valve pockets should be deburred to eliminate potential hot spots. A demmel and small cutters work well for this purpose. All thats needed is to reshape any sharp edges to a slight radius.
IT's already been done...just doesnt look like it in the picture. There are no sharp edges on that baby.
Old 09-14-2004, 10:22 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Originally posted by Enron Exec
I didnt know Darton has sleeves or guards for our blocks.
They do...they can do any sleeves, but I believe this is a custom application, rather than an off the shelf item.
Old 09-14-2004, 10:25 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Originally posted by whosdady
Darn, you beat me to it...
I just saw this...very funny.
Old 09-14-2004, 12:18 PM
G3po

Default DArton sleeves

They do...they can do any sleeves, but I believe this is a custom application, rather than an off the shelf item.
I emailed Darton and this is the response:

"We do have a MID kit for the VQ35DE. It is a closed deck design that comes at the standard bore of 95mm and has a max bore of 100mm. The kit retails for $1075.00 plus shipping. The sleeves are custom made to order. "

Apparently a shop in So. Cal has installed a set or two already on the VQ35 (Blast Racing in Gardena).
Old 09-14-2004, 12:33 PM
G3po

Default coatings

Originally posted by g356gear
From what I have heard ....if you coat the skirts of the pistons it adds a couple thousandths to the overall diameter of the piston. This has to be allowed for when you have you're machinist bore the block for the new pistons. The pistons come with a spec sheet with what bore size has to be used with the specific type of piston material ( high VS low silicon ) to allow for piston expansion. If you do have them coated make sure the machinist knows this before he punches out the block. If not you are risking abrasion in the bore and a possible seizure event when the motor gets up to temp.
Actually , if the skirts are poly-moly coated and the crowns Thermal Barrier coated, the bores can be made "slightly smaller".

gg: note the note in your ARIAS piston instruction WRT skirt coatings. Aslo Swaintech goes into this a bit on the website.

The apparnet reasons for this are:
a) the PM coating acts as a lubricant during cold start (reduces risk of bore scuffing) .
and
b) The TBC controls the pisitons rate and magnitude of thermal expansion, basically they are more dimensionally stable.
Old 09-14-2004, 12:42 PM
g356gear

Default Re: coatings

Originally posted by G3po
Actually , if the skirts are poly-moly coated and the crowns Thermal Barrier coated, the bores can be made "slightly smaller".

gg: note the note in your ARIAS piston instruction WRT skirt coatings. Aslo Swaintech goes into this a bit on the website.

The apparnet reasons for this are:
a) the PM coating acts as a lubricant during cold start (reduces risk of bore scuffing) .
and
b) The TBC controls the pisitons rate and magnitude of thermal expansion, basically they are more dimensionally stable.
Apparently you're sig is indeed correct LOL
Old 09-14-2004, 01:38 PM
Lorca@Z1

I am considering coating the tops and skirts...but not the sides. I am leary of the coating falling off the sides, and messing with the ring to wall clearances.

What type of coating do you recommend?
We recommend polydyn coatings, www.polydyn.com Dry Film lubricant (moly) on the sideskirts and ceramic coating on the piston top for heat deflection.

The stock Nissan pistons use a similar dry film coating on the skirts as do our Wiseco forged pistons.

We are having Mathew's pistons coated next week.
Old 09-14-2004, 01:48 PM
G3po

Default coatings

Skirts:
Swaintech offers both a "PM" coating and a "PC-9" coating.
When I asked them the diff, they recommended the PC-9 coating
as "more durable" than the PM. I'm sure the PC-9 is a form of ??-Moly, but don't know how it compares to the Polydyn Moly coating.

Crowns:
Swaintech also recommended their "TBC" over their "GC" (gold coating). The GC is stronger but has a finite "shelf" life and needs to be "run-cured" within a few weeks of coating. The TBC can be coated and used whenever the installer desires. So , it is logisitcally easier to deal with.

So if you go Swaintech , PC-9 skirts , TBC crowns....

I'm not a Swaintech advocate , just passing the info I have.
Old 09-14-2004, 03:13 PM
azaz

Sorry didn't mean to interrupt your pics.

550-600 HP WOW!!!! You giving out rides or do I have to pay for it? You could charge admission to ride in that beast like an amusement park!

Are you going to be able to run on pump gas or will this be a race gas only?

There are going to be quite a few really fast 350's out in a couple of months. I'm getting anxious for you guys.
Old 09-14-2004, 03:19 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Originally posted by azaz
Sorry didn't mean to interrupt your pics.

550-600 HP WOW!!!! You giving out rides or do I have to pay for it? You could charge admission to ride in that beast like an amusement park!

Are you going to be able to run on pump gas or will this be a race gas only?

There are going to be quite a few really fast 350's out in a couple of months. I'm getting anxious for you guys.
It should run safely on 93 octane gas with proper tuning.

realistically, it will be a few months before it all together. My car comes back from the body shop after a 10 week session, so I really just wanna DRIVE my car for a while.
Old 09-14-2004, 07:08 PM
azaz

Yeah, I bet you are ready to drive it again after all this time.

I really thought your car looked good at the Hightach meet. That was a really unfortunate accident, but one everyone walked away from without physical injury. Glad to see they are almost done with your car.

Did you bring your Duc to NC with you? I just bought another motorcycle and I am hoping to get a few buddies together and make a 1 day mountain ride up 181 and the Blue Ridge Parkway soon. I know it probably won't materialize until the first of Oct. because the next 2 weekends are full of other things. Let me know if you are interested in going.
Old 09-14-2004, 08:19 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

sure..I would definatley be interested in a ride. The Duc is sitting in my garage. Lets just hope it doesnt meet the same demise as my car!

PM me with details once you get it setup.
Old 09-15-2004, 06:57 AM
mcduck

Not trying to bogart your thread, Sharif, but you guys know there is a Z drive up to Tail of the Dragon Oct 1-3rd, right? Basecamp will be Fontana Village Resort.

I suppose if you wanted you could bring your bikes instead of your Zs... it's a HUGE biker attraction. More info at Tailofthedragon.com

If you want to book a room overnight (and you should if you're going), be sure to tell them your with the ZDayZ group to get a discount room rate.
Old 09-15-2004, 07:15 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

almost forgot..... I'll be there.
Old 09-15-2004, 01:17 PM
etx

Lookin good. I can't wait to build up my block. Right now the wallet says NO!

Last edited by etx; 09-15-2004 at 01:19 PM.
Old 09-15-2004, 03:02 PM
azaz

OH CRAP!!! Yeah, I forgot about the Z weekend in Oct. I will be out of town the weekend before that, I will see if I can make arrangements to come out for that also. Man I need to figure out how to get everything I need to get to done. How long can one go without sleep? Will try to gather up the riding buddies and see what is the best weekend for everyone. Will have to be soon, or we will just get stuck behind people lookin at the fall colors.

Thanks for the reminder McDuck!!!!

Oh, don't jinx yourself Sharif!!

Quick Reply: My Arias Forged Pistons: Show and Tell