Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Need some help with fuel/ecu capabilities?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2004, 07:40 PM
droptoppaul

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some help with fuel/ecu capabilities?!?!

My friend has a 2004 350Z. He's gonna be cross 5k miles on it shortly. He already ordered a sc kit for it. The kit comes non-intercooled(yes I know, intercool it, fully plan to as it goes on) My concerns are the fuel system/ecu tuning capabilities. I talked to a guy who recommended having crawford Z tune it. Which from the sound of it, sounds like a great idea. But in the mean time...how will the car run on say....6 psi? Is it gonna be a "don't floor it" or should the computer be strong enough to counter enough so that we can drive it there to get tuned without risking the motor before we can get it tuned? He just bought this kit so he really doesn't have the money to replace the motor. Once we get it tuned, we'd like to run 8-10 psi fully tuned. But not until we get it tuned. I plan on using Wideband 02, fuel pressure/boost gauges. Any other suggestions? I'm a complete newb to the 350Z scene, but not forced induction. I am clueless on this engines capabilities from the factory. I'm used to little J bodies...in which you have to change EVERYTHING to run somewhat safe. How big are stock injectors? I just need to know those things.
Old 09-16-2004, 04:38 AM
booger

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What SC are you....is he....getting ? NON intercooled ? Only one out there that isnt ....is the Stillen
Old 09-16-2004, 07:31 AM
etx

Stock injectors are like ~280 cc/min I think. The ecu is going to try to keep the AF at 14.7 all the time, so with the SC on and nothing to add fuel you can't boost. Well you can, if you wanna pop the motor. :P Look into the Technosquare flash, it works well and is good for a daily driver. You just send the ecu to them and they flash their code onto it. Them install some 380 cc/min injectors and your good to go.
Old 09-16-2004, 10:37 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

The Vortech kit comes with fuel and timing mangement...so not sure what the problem is. If he just installs the SC as is, the worst that will probablyi happen, is that he will run incredibly rich, and leave quite a bit of power on the table.
Old 09-16-2004, 01:26 PM
booger

dont Know what kit he is getting.....says NON intercooled....Stillen ?
Old 09-16-2004, 08:47 PM
droptoppaul

he said powerdyne? Makes me wonder? I'll have to double back with him on that. It tries to keep the a/f at 14.7? Thats way to lean to be at with F/I, n/a that's still a little too high to be ideal, imo, but hey, I'm not nissan's engineers lol. Thanx for my main concerns on those questions. We have about 3k to spend, and he said this kit was like 3600-3800? I'll have to find out what kit he was referring to, that way you guys could give me some more accurate answers. As far as flashing vs piggybacks, will the stock ecu override the piggyback to achieve 14.7?