Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Turbonetics Single Turbo Kit..Pics/Videos

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2004, 01:40 PM
g356gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by MIAPLAYA
I just re-read your post and realized you were asking about bigger then 380CC. I know the E-manage can scale injectors so technically if you added that to the flashed ECU you could further scale bigger injectors. The turbo is good to over 650 so you can certainly go for the gusto if so desired....
This was mentioned in one of the later videos about the e-manage. The reason I ask is because there will be a few guys on the board with lower compression forged motors looking for some more boost. Any specs on what type of turbo configuration they are using? T04E...T04B ????

Last edited by g356gear; 09-20-2004 at 01:46 PM.
Old 09-20-2004, 01:56 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally posted by g356gear
This was mentioned in one of the later videos about the e-manage. The reason I ask is because there will be a few guys on the board with lower compression forged motors looking for some more boost. Any specs on what type of turbo configuration they are using? T04E...T04B ????
Its a variation of the T4 but its not a standard T04. Turbonetics builds each of their turbos specific to each application. For this one I think they are using a t4 housing but a different compressor..

Heres the kit specs from the original post:

Complete system to include:
-60-1/Stg 5 Ceramic Ball Bearing Turbocharger
-Front mount 3.5"x7.9"x24" Spearco Intercooler
-External Evolution Wastegate
-Raptor By-Pass Valve
-6 new injectors
-fuel/ignition managment
-All stainless turbo mounting and piping from the manifolds to
the turbocharger+downpipe
-All aluminum boost tubing

Looks like we will settle somwhere bewteen 6.5psi (363whp or 435chp) and 8.3psi (406whp or 487chp) our data was measured on our Dynopack wheel dyno with the stock exhaust system (rear section only, no cats).

The video as shown was just below 400 WHP with 11.5:1 across the board to redline on 380cc injectors. TS reflash for tuning and timing. All other elements of the car were stock other than springs. (tanabe) Stock exhaust/stock headers/etc..
Old 09-20-2004, 02:01 PM
MIAPLAYA

Heres a link to the turbo type they are using/..

http://www.turboneticsinc.com/series60.html
Heres the generic map for their turbo off of their webpage...

Like I said though they are using a slightly different compressor wheel and the one for this kit is a ceramic ball bearing turbo so it may be slightly different then this map..

Last edited by MIAPLAYA; 09-20-2004 at 02:04 PM.
Old 09-20-2004, 02:26 PM
g356gear

Have they mentioned anything about how easy this kit would be to use on a lower compression motor?? Still a plug and play version for that application as well??
Old 09-20-2004, 02:36 PM
MIAPLAYA

Have they mentioned anything about how easy this kit would be to use on a lower compression motor?? Still a plug and play version for that application as well??
No they did not. And stupid me didn't ask...I dont think there would be a problem though. You would of course have the ability to be more agressive with the timing and boost levels. Turbonetics made it pretty clear to me that if you want more power then this kit gives out of the box they are ALL ABOUT helping you out. Coming from the VP and General Manager of the company i was pretty convinced. If you tell them you want to make 600 WHP with this kit and tell them what you are running they will build a turbo specific to your request. These guys dont mess around...I toured their production facility while there and checked out their stock room of turbo parts. I dont think I saw one "pre-fab" turbo in there. They build each turbo for each kit as the kit is ordered. Normally you would think this would increase the delay but if you saw thier facility you'd know otherwise. Their goal in the end is to satisfy every customer. Not every kit is the same and not every customer wants the same thing from their turbo so these guys wait till they know what you want. For the standard Z kit they already know which turbo they are going to use. But like I said if you want to make more power than that they will accomodate your needs accordingly. Great guys...Wish I has taken some more pics but I got caught up in the moment and forget to grab my camera. (The tour was post test drive so I was still trying to clean the drool off my shirt and the crap out of my pants.... )
Old 09-20-2004, 02:36 PM
G3po

Default CARB

Actually the designer of this kit Jahm formerly of Fmax has made many of his other Nissan kits CARB legal in the past and I'm sure could find a way to make it work to get a cat on there and make it legal. I wouldn't flat out say its not possible. At least not without knowing what they are going to do first. They could merge the flow after the cats couldnt they?
a)When asked previously, Turbonetics claimed that this kit was not intended fro CARB use, a future version (probably TT) may be directed towards CARB. In the "past" is with respect single turbo configurations on "in-line" plants. It's quite straight forward to keep the exhaust path short from the manifold , thru the impeller and to the OEM CAT on these configs. The V-configuration with a single snail has not been CARB'd in the past at Turbonetics. This is a vastly different configuration than those of the past.

b) mergeing the flow "after the CATS" would turn an already lag challenged arrangement into a major "lag queen". The CATS wick and enourmous amount of heat energy from the thru exhaust flow.

This isn't the kit for anyone concerned with future CARB EO#s.
Old 09-20-2004, 02:45 PM
MIAPLAYA

Default Re: CARB

Originally posted by G3po
a)When asked previously, Turbonetics claimed that this kit was not intended fro CARB use, a future version (probably TT) may be directed towards CARB. In the "past" is with respect single turbo configurations on "in-line" plants. It's quite straight forward to keep the exhaust path short from the manifold , thru the impeller and to the OEM CAT on these configs. The V-configuration with a single snail has not been CARB'd in the past at Turbonetics. This is a vastly different configuration than those of the past.

b) mergeing the flow "after the CATS" would turn an already lag challenged arrangement into a major "lag queen". The CATS wick and enourmous amount of heat energy from the thru exhaust flow.

This isn't the kit for anyone concerned with future CARB EO#s.
Not that I care about CARB (none of the other turbo systems are CARB legal BTW) but:
Originally posted by Turbonetics
This first system will not allow for the use of EOM dual CAT configuration and therefore will not be able to meet CARB requirments.
There will be continued work in developing a CARB certifiable system with aftermarket CAT's down stream of the turbo.[/B]
Most F/I kits are not CARB legal to begin with and very few every eventually pass. Maybe the Governator can get rid of that crap too. I know in FL they used to have emissions testing and after realizing it was a waste of tax payer dollars they cut it out...Besides no one thought a single turbo set up would ever be made due to design problems but these guys made it happen. Whats to say they can't make it Carb legal too?
Old 09-20-2004, 03:09 PM
G3po

Default Re: Re: CARB

Not that I care about CARB (none of the other turbo systems are CARB legal BTW) but:

Most F/I kits are not CARB legal to begin with and very few every eventually pass. Maybe the Governator can get rid of that crap too. I know in FL they used to have emissions testing and after realizing it was a waste of tax payer dollars they cut it out...Besides no one thought a single turbo set up would ever be made due to design problems but these guys made it happen. Whats to say they can't make it Carb legal too?
There are some fundamental thermal challenges WRT to a single Turbo on a VQ plant, that I honestly do not beleive that Turbonetics or the any engineer "almighty" can really solve. Now it's a challenge for a TT conguration , but it honestly appears technically achievable as many OEMs can prove.

It is very likely that JWT will obtain an EO# first and hopefully APS second. So with all this said, for those who don't give a R--Ts **** about CARB#s should consider this system as a valid option.
Old 09-20-2004, 03:16 PM
MIAPLAYA

Default Re: Re: Re: CARB

Originally posted by G3po
There are some fundamental thermal challenges WRT to a single Turbo on a VQ plant, that I honestly do not beleive that Turbonetics or the any engineer "almighty" can really solve. Now it's a challenge for a TT conguration , but it honestly appears technically achievable as many OEMs can prove.

It is very likely that JWT will obtain an EO# first and hopefully APS second. So with all this said, for those who don't give a R--Ts **** about CARB#s should consider this system as a valid option.
I agree that there are challenges here and who knows if they can be solved. I was just simply pointing out that
(a) No turbo solutions are currently CARB exempt
(b) Only 1 SC solution is exempt
(c) Most aftermarket F/I solutions never are able to achieve a CARB exemption order .
(d) (Another valid point not mentioned) Most manufacturers cannot even get standard Bolt on N/A mods to be CARB exempt.
Old 09-20-2004, 04:51 PM
DrVolkl

What did it say when you tried to download the videos? Did you try to right click and choose "save target as"? I just downloaded them from my site and they seem to work ok...
Actually, I tried again and they seem to work no problem. Don't know what my problem was before!

Who do I send my check to? This is really nice. Please make a cat for it that'll work...that's all I ask.

Hey, by the way, what was the outcome with the EVO?

Last edited by DrVolkl; 09-20-2004 at 05:00 PM.
Old 09-20-2004, 06:47 PM
chattermark

When is this suppose to be released? I was thinking of a super charger, but this seems to be the kit for me. I will watch this very closely. <M>
Old 09-21-2004, 06:02 AM
MIAPLAYA

I'd like to retract one of my previous posts here. The compressor map I posted is incorrect. They are using a bigger compressor wheel then that and the efficiency island is a bit different as I believe that map is not a ball bearing unit and it is definitely not the wheel they are using. Turbonetics should have some more info out soon. Like I said before Brad (Turbonetics s/n) is the VP and General Manager of the company so he gets tied up doing other things alot. (Like running a bad@ss company). Official release I believe is scheduled for SEMA in Nov but it may e out sooner. Got a PM from Brad this morning and hes going to try to get me the answers to the questions I couldn't answer soon. Thanks again Brad, Turbonetics...Everyone else stay tuned...Theres a LOT more to come..
Old 09-21-2004, 09:19 AM
JimRHIT

Do you think they need a good looking car to demo it on at SEMA hehehe .... I shoulda tagged along with you for this visit man ... this damn thread has me drooling
Old 09-21-2004, 09:25 AM
MIAPLAYA

Originally posted by JimRHIT
Do you think they need a good looking car to demo it on at SEMA hehehe .... I shoulda tagged along with you for this visit man ... this damn thread has me drooling
Yeah i asked but they bought a Z just for this project so I imagine it will be the one on display../..
Old 09-21-2004, 10:55 AM
redline350ZZ

Damn I wonder if my Tilton flywheel and the 350EVO gears im installing would live happily with this turbo???? LOL..... I am looking for some kind of FI and this competes with the SC out there.......as soon as I learn about reliability I may be in..... also the whole fuel management thing is always scary.....
Old 09-21-2004, 11:20 AM
g356gear

I'd like to retract one of my previous posts here. The compressor map I posted is incorrect. They are using a bigger compressor wheel then that and the efficiency island is a bit different as I believe that map is not a ball bearing unit and it is definitely not the wheel they are using. Turbonetics should have some more info out soon. Like I said before Brad (Turbonetics s/n) is the VP and General Manager of the company so he gets tied up doing other things alot. (Like running a bad@ss company). Official release I believe is scheduled for SEMA in Nov but it may e out sooner. Got a PM from Brad this morning and hes going to try to get me the answers to the questions I couldn't answer soon. Thanks again Brad, Turbonetics...Everyone else stay tuned...Theres a LOT more to come..
MIAPLAYA,
Could you check to see how they are going to work the TS reflash. Are they wanting us to send down our ecu for re-flash to Turbonetics to be sent back to us with our kit?? What kind of turnaround time are they hoping to achieve? Thanks.
Old 09-21-2004, 11:45 AM
MIAPLAYA

MIAPLAYA,
Could you check to see how they are going to work the TS reflash. Are they wanting us to send down our ecu for re-flash to Turbonetics to be sent back to us with our kit?? What kind of turnaround time are they hoping to achieve? Thanks.
The current plan I think is that when you recieve the kit the first thing you do before beginnning install is pull the ECU and send it to technosquare. It gets same day delivered to TS. They flash it and same day it back to you...things could change but I think thats what they plan on doing. Brad should be giving us some more details soon.
Old 09-21-2004, 03:30 PM
MIAPLAYA

~
Old 09-21-2004, 10:59 PM
MIAPLAYA

~
Old 09-22-2004, 09:17 AM
zimbo

What's with the tildes, MiaPlaya? There's no need to artificially bump this thread.

--Steve

Quick Reply: Turbonetics Single Turbo Kit..Pics/Videos