Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Vortech...Need New Plugs?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2004, 01:35 AM
Barzten1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vortech...Need New Plugs?

Getting a Vortech installe das we speek. Shop installing it says I won't need one step colder spark plugs because of the altitude in New Mexico. I'm at 5200 feet. They also said a Techno reflash is unneccesary. To me you guys are the experts. Any feedback?
Old 10-01-2004, 04:40 AM
kzanard

I had my Vortech installed with only 2000 miles on the engine and did not replace the plugs. I saw no problems. I currently have 6,000 miles and am in the process of changing plugs only because I am doing a bunch of other mods at the same time and as an "extra" precaution.

The Vortech comes with Split Second box & software that should negate the "need" for Technosquare. However, the Techno reflash has other benefits (such as higher rev limiter, etc.) that you may still benefit from (but it is definitely not "necessary").

Good luck and enjoy!
Old 10-01-2004, 05:52 AM
Barzten1

Originally posted by kzanard
I had my Vortech installed with only 2000 miles on the engine and did not replace the plugs. I saw no problems. I currently have 6,000 miles and am in the process of changing plugs only because I am doing a bunch of other mods at the same time and as an "extra" precaution.

The Vortech comes with Split Second box & software that should negate the "need" for Technosquare. However, the Techno reflash has other benefits (such as higher rev limiter, etc.) that you may still benefit from (but it is definitely not "necessary").

Good luck and enjoy!
Thanks kzanard. What kind of HP are you running? Are the different belt upgrades safe or worth it? Thanks for the help bud!
Old 10-01-2004, 06:08 AM
kzanard

Baerzten1, Last dyno was 359rwhp/316tq. See my sig for mods at that time. For tuning we only adjusted fuel, the timing map is as it was received from Vortech (very conservative). Could probably squeeze some more HP out if we adjusted timing, but I prefer to be safe with stock internals. I have not tried any smaller pulleys yet and probably won't until I have pisons, rods, etc. installed in the spring. Others on this board have gone with smaller pulley and had no issues, but a couple with real aggressive tuning have had engine go....

There is a ton of information here. Do a search on Vortech in this forum and read every one. Some of these guys really know their stuff. I let my tuner do most of my work as a lot of this was way over my head at first.
Old 10-01-2004, 06:35 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would recommend changing plug's regardless. IF you are F/I, you want to be one step colder...some people go two steps colder.

Here is the NGK Part number: LFR6AIX-11 (one step colder than stock)
Old 10-01-2004, 06:53 AM
CaneZMD

Like GQ said, I would go one step colder. I have the vortech kit and I went with one step colder NGK irridium plugs.

Is it NECESSARY to change plugs, probably not. Does it make your fi install safer and prevent detonation, definitely. For $60 or so, I think it's cheap protection against detonation.

About Techno, I think it's more important for auto tranny Z's because I think the shifting gets messed up with FI. (Auto guys correct me if I'm wrong) And as far as rev limiter goes, I personally wouldn't mess with it. FI is a stress by itself, and asking our stock internals to handle 8-9 psi of boost at 7000 rpm is asking for trouble, IMHO.
Old 01-09-2005, 11:04 AM
webrits

So, regarding replacing the plugs for 1 step colder.
Should the plugs be swapped out prior to final tuning of the Vortech system? Or will I still get the safety benefits of colder plugs if I swap them out after tuning?

My install was done at Vortech in Oxnard and some fine tuning was done after install with the stock plugs. The tuning was not done using the AF ratio, instead the ignition was retarded until we had a clean run without detonation (the FMU disc was also swapped out in an attempt the provide more fuel).
So will I benefit from changing out the plugs to 1 step colder at this stage? Or should I have the system re-tuned??

Thanks guys....