Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Any clutch recommendations for FI......

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2004, 11:45 AM
Speedracer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Any clutch recommendations for FI......

Don't care what anyone says....the stock clutch is definitely NOT adequate for FI set-ups. On hard shifts between 5500-6000rpm mine consistently slips with the new HKS supercharger.

Anyway, I am looking for something very street friendly. I will be keeping the stock flywheel. The SC provides me with plenty of power, so no need to sacrifice the smoothness of the stock flywheel. Please give recommendations. By my calculations, based on my dyno result, flywheel torque is 400lb-ft. Thanks.
Old 10-10-2004, 11:57 AM
Enron Exec

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Clutchmaster stg 3 or 4.
Old 10-10-2004, 03:54 PM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Exedy.
Old 10-10-2004, 03:58 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

clutchmaster stage III.....relatively inexpensive, and its a standard clutch design. It has more than double the holding capacity of stock...and less than $500 street price.

I have one sitting on my shelf,but waiting for the engine buildup before installing it.
Old 10-10-2004, 04:06 PM
t32gzz

I have a Clutchmaster Stage IV and it is a great clutch as well. It is a puck clutch so it is a little harsh sometimes, but overall very streetable. Still in the good price range.

If you never want to buy another clutch and have the best one out, then I would strongly consider a dual disc carbon clutch. Still streetable, and good for 600+ hp, easy. But damn they're expensive.
Old 10-11-2004, 02:35 AM
Speedracer

Originally posted by Nissan350ZTT
Exedy.
I've heard good things about Exedy for RACE applications. Went to their webiste....didn't seem to street friendly. If you know otherwise, please elaborate.
Old 10-11-2004, 07:40 AM
xsmallpaulx

Originally posted by t32gzz
I have a Clutchmaster Stage IV and it is a great clutch as well. It is a puck clutch so it is a little harsh sometimes, but overall very streetable. Still in the good price range.

If you never want to buy another clutch and have the best one out, then I would strongly consider a dual disc carbon clutch. Still streetable, and good for 600+ hp, easy. But damn they're expensive.
what is the major difference between the clutchmasters stage 3 and stage 4? and when you say stage 4 is harsh what do you mean?
Old 10-11-2004, 07:54 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Stage 4 is a puck design, so it will probably hold up better due to better heat dissaption. Any puck design will be a bit more grabby that a full face clutch. I think that's what he's refering to.
Old 10-11-2004, 08:26 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The ACT is, IMHO, the best overall clutch for a street car, fo the Z. A puck clutch will not only be grabby, but also tends to chatter on takeoff from a dead stop. Once it's engaged, the clutch no longer will give you the shuddering feeling.

I don't think exedy has one of their sport clutches available yet
Old 10-11-2004, 09:34 AM
G3po

Default Z1

Originally posted by Z1 Performance
The ACT is, IMHO, the best overall clutch for a street car, fo the Z. A puck clutch will not only be grabby, but also tends to chatter on takeoff from a dead stop. Once it's engaged, the clutch no longer will give you the shuddering feeling.

I don't think exedy has one of their sport clutches available yet

Z1 ,What version is the most streetable and can hold up to 800crank , in your opinion?
Old 10-11-2004, 11:04 AM
Lorca@Z1

RPS clutches are the only clutch we recomend and we are not an RPS dealer. The only drawback with the RPS clutches is that they require the segemnted flywheel to be installed so there is added cost.

For up to 500rwhp the RPS Sport Street is an excellent choice and has almost stock peddle pressure.

For 700rwhp+ we recomend the RPS Carbon/Carbon which comes with the segemented flywheel.

You can read more about RPS clutches at www.turboclutch.com but the website has not been updated to include the 350Z applications.
Old 10-11-2004, 11:11 AM
G3po

Default RPS carbon

Originally posted by Lorca@Z1
RPS clutches are the only clutch we recomend and we are not an RPS dealer. The only drawback with the RPS clutches is that they require the segemnted flywheel to be installed so there is added cost.

For up to 500rwhp the RPS Sport Street is an excellent choice and has almost stock peddle pressure.

For 700rwhp+ we recomend the RPS Carbon/Carbon which comes with the segemented flywheel.

You can read more about RPS clutches at www.turboclutch.com but the website has not been updated to include the 350Z applications.

Have you actually driven a Z with the RPS Carbon/Carbon yet?
I am concerned about streetabilty / civility. Is it not too chattery and does it slip predicatably. For what RPS charges I would expect near perfection and nothing less. My other consideration is an ATS triple carbon "soft type".
Old 10-11-2004, 11:16 AM
LOU

Does the ATS chatter at all? So far I am leaning toward JWT.
Old 10-11-2004, 11:39 AM
Lorca@Z1

Yes I have. We have an RPS carbon/carbon on our 1051rwhp Z32 and it is an amazing clutch. You can slip the clutch all day long and it smooth and predictable with unappealing noise or smell. If it wasnt for the expense we would put it on every car that came in the shop. ;-)
Old 10-11-2004, 11:40 AM
gladz

Is anyone familiar w/ the tilton flywheel and clutch set up? How does the clutch compare to clutch master stage 3 III?
Old 10-11-2004, 11:43 AM
Lorca@Z1

Originally posted by LouZer
Does the ATS chatter at all? So far I am leaning toward JWT.
The Sport Street does not chatter at all. Max series puck clutches will chatter a little bit and the engagement is more abrubt, but that is true of all puck style clutches.
Old 10-11-2004, 01:00 PM
xsmallpaulx

Originally posted by gq_626 so why would a person buy a stage 3 over a stage 4?
Stage 4 is a puck design, so it will probably hold up better due to better heat dissaption. Any puck design will be a bit more grabby that a full face clutch. I think that's what he's refering to.
Old 10-11-2004, 01:02 PM
xsmallpaulx

Originally posted by gq_626
so why would someone buy a stage 3 over a stage 4?
Old 10-11-2004, 02:15 PM
G3po

Default stage4

Originally posted by xsmallpaulx
so why would someone buy a stage 3 over a stage 4?
because stage 4 is less streetable than stage 3.
Stage3 is a little less streeetable than stage2 etc.

"Streetable" is a qualitative term and definitions vary between drivers, but generally means

- easy to slip vs. grabby (aka a drag clutch).
- oem-like pedal effort vs. stiffer than OEM.
- quiet operation vs. chatter.
- no obnoxious smells when slipped and burnt.

Also generally as a clutch's power handling capacity is increased streetablity is reduced. Now Carbon/carbon type clutches , though really expensive "attempt" to address the streetablity issues while maintaining very high holding capacity and increased longevity.
Old 10-12-2004, 10:36 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Originally posted by gladz
Is anyone familiar w/ the tilton flywheel and clutch set up? How does the clutch compare to clutch master stage 3 III?
They are night and day in terms of streetability. THe tilton clutch and flywheel is incredibly grabby for the street. I drove Jason's car at Performance Nissan, and I stalled it twice. It has an instant on/off feel to it....it does NOT slip...it chatters like a mo fo.

The Stage 3 probably feels also like stock in terms of pedal pressure, and streetability. But the Stage 4 puck style design will be notably grabbier....but not nearly as bad as the tilton.

Also, the Stage 4 uses a carbon disc, which provides great heat dissapation, and would help up better for repeated track use/abuse. The Stage 3 is a Kevlar disc...FYI....not as good for heat dissapation.

Overalll, I have heard great things about CM clutches, and lots of Honda folks and Evo people beat the crap out of these inexpensive clutches, and are very pleased with the performance and longevity. Like I said, they are cheap....so you could replace them 4 times for the price of 1 multi disc carbon racing clutch....at least parts only.

Quick Reply: Any clutch recommendations for FI......