Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

HKS Supercharger Breaks After 4 Days!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2004, 05:11 PM
orhanz33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is it bad for the car to keep driving around like that? i hope there isn't any real problem, because if this kit isn't as reliable as i thought, i may never go FI

also, for anyone w/ the HKS kit on order, or in your living room can you please post your impressions when everything is installed... not that speedracer's wasn't good, but i would love to hear other people's impression/experiences
Old 10-13-2004, 05:32 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd really like to know the quality and grade of bolt they used on these mission critical component.

I agree that HKS is a great company...if there is a problem, I am sure they will do the right thing.
Old 10-13-2004, 09:13 PM
ihatethatbobbarker

definitely subscribing to this
Old 10-14-2004, 11:29 AM
Sully

Where did this happen BTW?

Highway?

Sully
Old 10-14-2004, 02:15 PM
Speedracer

Originally posted by Sully
Where did this happen BTW?

Highway?

Sully
Yep, smooth and steady 70mph cruise on the highway in 6th gear.
Old 10-20-2004, 08:58 AM
BrianLG35C

Originally posted by Speedracer
Yep, smooth and steady 70mph cruise on the highway in 6th gear.
Any news on this?
Old 10-21-2004, 02:40 PM
Speedracer

Originally posted by BrianLG35C
Any news on this?
Very prompt and receptive response from HKS...once I got through to the right people. Their customer service line is basically a tech line, so they couldn't do much. They tend to work warranty/reliability issues mainly through their authorized distributor network, but I think since this was a new product as well as being one of their high-end applications, they were eager to get the problem resolved.

My original purchase of the kit was through a re-seller, and this proved to be a bit problematic. Nothing to do with the re-seller....they jumped on the problem right away, but I had to send the broken part to them who sent it back to their distributor. The distributor was going to give the part to HKS. HKS never got the part.

Bottom line.......if you want to buy HKS, my recommendation is to buy only from authorized dealers/distributors. It is too much of a hassle otherwise if things go wrong.

Should be back on the road within two days.
Old 10-21-2004, 03:30 PM
ihatethatbobbarker

any word on the cause yet?
Old 10-21-2004, 04:14 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Speedracer - left you a voicemail today. HKS did i fact get the bplt....we talked today with Mike. They have already (as of yesterday I believe) sent you a new pulley and bolt. I was not able to get tracking but it is on it's way to you

Adam
Old 10-23-2004, 11:17 PM
dracing77

I had that problem before, but we've fixed it already. It made hella loud of noise when i started the engine...anyway, good luck tho!!!
Old 10-24-2004, 07:39 AM
DLin05

dracing
could you explain to us how you fixed it? thanks
Old 10-25-2004, 06:32 AM
turbo-maxima

you probally installed it wrong, but HKS is doing good by sending you a ne wpulley and bolt.
Old 10-25-2004, 08:58 AM
Speedracer

Originally posted by turbo-maxima
you probally installed it wrong, but HKS is doing good by sending you a ne wpulley and bolt.
Ah, yeah, it must have been a screwed up installation. No conceivable way the product could have been defective.

I personally didn't do the install. It was done by a very knowledgeable and experienced tuning shop.

Plus.....there is a lot about this situation that I haven't (and won't) post for the sake of numerous parties involved.

I REALLY hate it when people make some kind of blanket statement and don't elaborate.

Last edited by Speedracer; 10-25-2004 at 09:03 AM.
Old 10-25-2004, 05:30 PM
JoneZZZ

Speedracer....thanks for the updates....will be watching for any further comments after you get your vehicle back!
Old 10-25-2004, 05:52 PM
ihatethatbobbarker

Ah, yeah, it must have been a screwed up installation. No conceivable way the product could have been defective.

I personally didn't do the install. It was done by a very knowledgeable and experienced tuning shop.

Plus.....there is a lot about this situation that I haven't (and won't) post for the sake of numerous parties involved.

I REALLY hate it when people make some kind of blanket statement and don't elaborate.

real question is,
is it all worth it?
Old 10-25-2004, 06:31 PM
turbo-maxima

If the shop did not take responsibility and try to fix the situation, thats not a quality shop. Just because its a knowledgeable shop doesn't mean the person working on your car has had the experiance to do the install but other people in the shop may have the knowledge. I doubt a bolt would be defective.
Old 10-25-2004, 07:37 PM
MR RIZK

Maybe i'm lost but I was under the impression that the bolt that holds the pulley to the rotrex unit broke? Or was it one of the idler pullies?

The pulley on the Rotrex comes pre-fitted from HKS so do not see how it can be the shops fault.

As per Speedracer
the main pulley snapped off the front of the Supercharger. The bolt holding the pulley on was snapped in half!!!!!

Old 10-27-2004, 12:38 PM
Speedracer

Originally posted by MR RIZK
Maybe i'm lost but I was under the impression that the bolt that holds the pulley to the rotrex unit broke? Or was it one of the idler pullies?

The pulley on the Rotrex comes pre-fitted from HKS so do not see how it can be the shops fault.

As per Speedracer
the main pulley snapped off the front of the Supercharger. The bolt holding the pulley on was snapped in half!!!!!

Okay....here's the full story (minus some unnecessary details):

The drive pulley did indeed snap off the front of the supercharger unit, and the bolt holding it was snapped in half. This has nothing to do with the install, as this bolt is part of the pre-assembled supercharger unit as it comes shipped from HKS.

HKS overnighted me a new pulley and bolt directly. I installed them, but when I started the car, I heard this god-awful screech. I immediately shut the car down and went on to discover that the pulley wouldn't turn!!!!

I removed the supercharger. The compressor wouldn't turn. I then opened the compressor housing to find the compressor blades completely shredded, and the entire Supercharger mechanism was seized internally.

Anyway....no real damage done to the engine. There was some metal dust into the intake pipes, but nothing made it into the intake manifold.

HKS was very prompt in dealing with the matter and sent me a new SC unit, and cooling oil system. So basically, it was a defective supercharger unit from Rotrex.

**** happens. Products can be defective. That is inevitable. Still, the company did do right by me, and in this regard I have to be very supportive of the way they responded.

As to the question of "is it worth it?', that will vary from person to person. High level tuning is seldom without problems to iron out. I've done this on several other cars and there is always something that needs to be dealt with early on. Usaually it all works out. The performance of the system was superb for the four days I had it on before it broke. Instant power, plenty of it, but not too much for the street. Just what I was looking for.
Old 10-27-2004, 12:53 PM
DLin05

Im glad HKS has made good for the incident. When will your Z be back on the streets?

Personally I am very ambivalant right now. At least nothing happened to the engine.
Old 10-27-2004, 04:22 PM
JoneZZZ

Also glad to see HKS made good on their product and after sale service......

Quick Reply: HKS Supercharger Breaks After 4 Days!!!!!!!