Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

HKS Supercharger Breaks After 4 Days!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2004, 06:43 PM
Speedracer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by DLin05
Im glad HKS has made good for the incident. When will your Z be back on the streets?

Personally I am very ambivalant right now. At least nothing happened to the engine.
Will be back on the street my mid next week. Just going to take my time getting everything back on. I noticed you are selling your HKS system. My personal feeling about this incident and FI systems on this car is that one should only attempt FI on this car if it is NOT a daily driver. My roadster is a complete toy, and while I missed driving it, it was by no means an inconvenience to any other part of my life. In fact, we had so many rainy days where I live recently that I wouldn't have driven it much anyway.

If you really need this vehicle for any kind of practical tansportation, stay NA. If not, I would still put the HKS kit on. Really...the odds of this kind of defect being widespread is pretty slim.
Old 10-27-2004, 08:10 PM
Steve@Evolution

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

quick queston. When you hold the rotorex supercharger in your hands brand new, can you turn the supercharger manually by the pulley? I'm curious because I couldn't, not that I really tried.

Last edited by Steve@Evolution; 10-27-2004 at 08:26 PM.
Old 10-27-2004, 09:45 PM
03Z33

Speedracer, you got lucky! The Rotrex units have a bad reputation for imploding and sending shrapnel through peoples engines... I would do some more research before re-installing another one of these on your car.

Next time you might not be so lucky, and though HKS/Rotrex may warranty the s/c, I doubt they will pay for the rebuild on your engine.. HTH
Old 10-27-2004, 10:10 PM
Steve@Evolution

Last edited by Steve@Evolution; 10-27-2004 at 10:21 PM.
Old 10-27-2004, 10:19 PM
Steve@Evolution

But any charger no matter it's a turbo or supercharger of any kind will probably send sharp metal objects into the motor if it explodes, destructed, or fall apart during operation. Once the blade or wheel come loose or have plays in the turbine, I would suggest the person to cross his/her fingers.
I'm just worried about the long term survival of this unit.
Old 10-28-2004, 03:08 AM
Speedracer

Originally posted by 03Z33
Speedracer, you got lucky! The Rotrex units have a bad reputation for imploding and sending shrapnel through peoples engines... I would do some more research before re-installing another one of these on your car.

Next time you might not be so lucky, and though HKS/Rotrex may warranty the s/c, I doubt they will pay for the rebuild on your engine.. HTH
I don't know anything personally about the Rotrex units. I have been in contact personally with HKS corporate over my issues and have urged them to comment on this forum, but I don't know what their company policy is about posting on forums, etc. I went with this kit due to the reputation of HKS. With regards to the engine damage issue, if supercharger failure causes the engine damage, they have no choice but to repair/replace the engine, so long as it is within the warranty period.
Old 10-28-2004, 03:58 AM
MR RIZK

Originally posted by Evo Hybrid
quick queston. When you hold the rotorex supercharger in your hands brand new, can you turn the supercharger manually by the pulley? I'm curious because I couldn't, not that I really tried.
I believe you should be able to. Just remember that you may hear the fins rub against the sides of the housing until it beads in. There is a proper name for this but don't know.
Old 10-28-2004, 10:11 AM
turbo-maxima

was it not getting enough oil? and it seized and the excessive heat caused things to break?
Old 10-28-2004, 12:08 PM
Speedracer

Originally posted by turbo-maxima
was it not getting enough oil? and it seized and the excessive heat caused things to break?
There is no way to determine this with absolute certainty. Everything was hooked up correctly, there was the correct amount of oil put into the system, and oil did leak out of the all the parts of the system when I took it apart. Also, it ran for about 100 miles without a problem. I suspect an oil flow problem would have led to failure much earlier than that.
Old 10-28-2004, 12:23 PM
PumpedVA

I am leaning toward you just got a lemon thats all and what are the ods of that.
Old 10-28-2004, 12:49 PM
spf4000

It sounds like HKS is really good in terms of customer service for them to send you a new unit so quickly. I'm glad you got it worked out, Speedracer. How's the new unit running?
Old 10-29-2004, 06:54 AM
Speedracer

Originally posted by spf4000
It sounds like HKS is really good in terms of customer service for them to send you a new unit so quickly. I'm glad you got it worked out, Speedracer. How's the new unit running?
Got the new unit yesterday. Re-installed most everything. Took only 3 hours. It's amazing how quickly things go when you "know" everything. Will be finishing the install this weekend.

Now....I may have diagnosed the problem.......

My old SC unit had no oil in it as shipped. The installation directions call for oil to be added to the reservoir tank, but doesn't specify anything about the oil inside the superchgarger itself. The new supercharger was shipped completely filled with oil. The alignment of the compressor blades on this unit is also different from my previous unit and seems more "normal". So...it may have been a combination of issues that led to the failure.
Old 10-29-2004, 07:08 AM
PumpedVA

I am going to PM jeff@evolution to see if mine came with oil inside it.
Old 10-29-2004, 01:43 PM
Lawn Dart

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've seen dyno charts, any 1/4 mile times on this product yet?
Old 10-29-2004, 04:48 PM
MR RIZK

What makes you sure that the first one had no oil. Did you tip it upside down when you took the yellow caps off? or the oil just came out the second one?

The older style rotrex SP30 came with a hand prime pump for first use which was placed in the oil line but the C30 does not.
Old 10-29-2004, 07:48 PM
PumpedVA

yea well check this out my kit didnt come with the hose attatched to the oil pump. I would have had my car back today 1 1/2 days install not bad but now I have to wait to monday for this hose to come in. Evolution has been great getting this taken care of today if HKS didnt ship that hose today I would be without a car for a week because HKS is going to sema next week.
Old 10-31-2004, 04:33 AM
Speedracer

Originally posted by MR RIZK
What makes you sure that the first one had no oil. Did you tip it upside down when you took the yellow caps off? or the oil just came out the second one?

The older style rotrex SP30 came with a hand prime pump for first use which was placed in the oil line but the C30 does not.
The first unit did not come with the yellow caps. There were these orange plugs that were very different. And believe me, the SC unit was BONE DRY inside. This was the first thing I noticed when I got the new unit.

Anyway, it's all back together and seems to be running very smoothly. Although the previous unit was quiet, this is even quieter. Given the physical appearance of the compressor,and the oil issue, I'm confident the issues have been resolved.

One good thing did come of this......while my original install was done by a third party, I did all this disassembely and re-assembly myself. I bought a 350z service manual CD, and as a result of these things, I really got to know this motor inside and out.

Please PM me if you are installing this kit as the directions with the oil filling are not completely clear.

Last edited by Speedracer; 10-31-2004 at 04:36 AM.
Old 10-31-2004, 04:59 AM
PumpedVA

Glad to see you have everything fixed bro.
Old 10-31-2004, 07:05 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

have fund driving around today man.

I'm going to try to make it up to Boston next weekend for HIN
Old 10-31-2004, 07:23 PM
spf4000

Originally posted by Speedracer
The first unit did not come with the yellow caps. There were these orange plugs that were very different. And believe me, the SC unit was BONE DRY inside. This was the first thing I noticed when I got the new unit.

Anyway, it's all back together and seems to be running very smoothly. Although the previous unit was quiet, this is even quieter. Given the physical appearance of the compressor,and the oil issue, I'm confident the issues have been resolved.

One good thing did come of this......while my original install was done by a third party, I did all this disassembely and re-assembly myself. I bought a 350z service manual CD, and as a result of these things, I really got to know this motor inside and out.
Good to hear your Z is back together okay. I'm seriously considering the HKS right now. How much do you think the entire kit weighs?

Quick Reply: HKS Supercharger Breaks After 4 Days!!!!!!!