Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Another APS TT Kit install has begun!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2005, 01:13 PM
More Power

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by cat2102
<sigh> I am going mad with all these APS threads being posted... I need one, I want one....I'm broke... that would be the order I think!
Like me, you may need to wait and get the less expensive APS single turbo coming out this spring. Performance sounds like it will still be awesome with the single T. Come see me next spring/summer and I'll give you a ride in mine, ha. I am originally from Memphis, so we even speak the same language! (he he) I really miss the South!
Old 01-22-2005, 02:57 PM
thawk408

Where in memphis are you from? I was borned in memphis and lived in Germantown for half my life
Old 01-22-2005, 04:06 PM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by More Power
Like me, you may need to wait and get the less expensive APS single turbo coming out this spring. Performance sounds like it will still be awesome with the single T. Come see me next spring/summer and I'll give you a ride in mine, ha. I am originally from Memphis, so we even speak the same language! (he he) I really miss the South!
This thread is old. I believe cat has already went with the Vortech s/c kit.
Old 01-22-2005, 05:10 PM
More Power

Originally posted by thawk408
Where in memphis are you from? I was borned in memphis and lived in Germantown for half my life
I say Memphis (the proper pronunciation is "MEMfus", ha), but I was really born-ded in Frayser. Near Memphis. I also lived in West Memphis and Bartlett for a good while. Went to high school in Savannah, TN. Small world...
Old 01-22-2005, 05:21 PM
More Power

Originally posted by nis350ztt
This thread is old. I believe cat has already went with the Vortech s/c kit.
Hey, you are right... I didn't realize she posted that waaay back in Oct. A different lifetime, ha. Hope she's doing great with the Vortech. There was a time when I was leaning Vortech. Then HKS. But now I seem to be irresistablly gravitating toward APS. Resistance seems futile, ha. I think the APS will be worth the wait. In any case, we all have our 350Zs in common. Right now I'm dealing with about 8 inches of new snow and driving my winter beater for a while. Hurry up spring. There are many curve apexes with my name on them...
Old 01-22-2005, 05:34 PM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by More Power
Hey, you are right... I didn't realize she posted that waaay back in Oct. A different lifetime, ha. Hope she's doing great with the Vortech. There was a time when I was leaning Vortech. Then HKS. But now I seem to be irresistablly gravitating toward APS. Resistance seems futile, ha. I think the APS will be worth the wait. In any case, we all have our 350Zs in common. Right now I'm dealing with about 8 inches of new snow and driving my winter beater for a while. Hurry up spring. There are many curve apexes with my name on them...
Yeah, did you see the thread about 2003z powdercoating her Vortech parts? They look great. I like turbochargers myself, but if I were to go with a supercharger it would definately be Vortech. I hear you about APS, if their kit was ~6k I believe they would sell a LOT more, with it being the most complete kit right now. They are a good company though. I bet you miss the south's weather, it's 60º outside and just started raining. Although we'd love to see some snow. I bet you don't miss those humid summer days.

Old 01-22-2005, 11:23 PM
More Power

Yeah, did you see the thread about 2003z powdercoating her Vortech parts? They look great. I like turbochargers myself, but if I were to go with a supercharger it would definately be Vortech. I hear you about APS, if their kit was ~6k I believe they would sell a LOT more, with it being the most complete kit right now. They are a good company though. I bet you miss the south's weather, it's 60º outside and just started raining. Although we'd love to see some snow. I bet you don't miss those humid summer days.

The APS single turbo is projected at about $5000 to $5500 (due out May 05). And the installation time and $ is thought to be considerably less than the APS TT. The single T will give you most (but not all) of the APS TT performance. Pricewise the APS single compares more like to many of the centrifugal superchargers. The graph on their website shows the prototype of the APS single T getting well over 6 psi of boost by 3300 rpms. And max wheel hp of 386.4 and torque up near 400 at the wheels as well. Bear in mind that their hi flow plenum will probably improve that performance for not a lot more $. Their dealers can also tune the engine mgt. unichip map for your local gas octane 91 vs. 93/94. I like that. They are also going to have a (opitonal) toggle switch that will allow you to toggle to a separate map for the 105 octane Sunoco unleaded I can get at the drag strip. But to run over the standard kit power figures above you really really should build up the engine bottom end with better rods and pistons. APS is saying with the single turbo, you should be able to run 500 wheel hp with real good reliability (with better rods/pistons) on the 105 octane gas. Then toggle back to about 400 hp at the wheels for the street amd 93 octane gas we have here. I had an HKS stage VI mitsu eclipse GSX turbo with EVC adjustable boost. So these boy racer features really appeal to me. But we have many choices for FI now and this competition is nothing but good for us end users.

Oh yes, I miss the warrmer fall, winters and earlier springs of the South. But MD does have a lot of heat and humidity in the summer. But not as much as Memphis, LOL! During the summers in MEMfus, I worked my way through college loading trailer trucks (on Presidents Island). They put a thermometer inside one of those metal freight truck trailers during one hot Memphis day and guess what. It was 135 degrees Farenheight inside, LOL. And nooooo air movement inside there, whew. I'd be soooo hot and sweat so much after 8 hrs. of that that I'd come home and pour water out of my boots, no BS. But, when you're a young college kid you can do practically anything. They worked me like a dog, but they paid real good.
Old 01-23-2005, 01:01 AM
calimarc

QUOTE~[ They are also going to have a (opitonal) toggle switch that will allow you to toggle to a separate map for the 105 octane Sunoco unleaded I can get at the drag strip.~ END QUOTE

I would really really like to see APS come out with this addition to their TT Kit as well. Or is it the same for the TT system being of course they both use Unichip. I already have the APS TT kit and live in California ( land of sh*t gas ). I hope to find a source for high octane fuel near to where I live. The nearest track is Sacramento Speedway (one hour south to me). Does anyone know if they even sell high octane gas there? I'm really unsure about having to fool with octane boosters to run higher boost SAFELY.

Last edited by calimarc; 01-23-2005 at 01:04 AM.
Old 01-23-2005, 05:14 AM
More Power

Originally posted by calimarc
QUOTE~[ They are also going to have a (opitonal) toggle switch that will allow you to toggle to a separate map for the 105 octane Sunoco unleaded I can get at the drag strip.~ END QUOTE

I would really really like to see APS come out with this addition to their TT Kit as well. Or is it the same for the TT system being of course they both use Unichip. I already have the APS TT kit and live in California ( land of sh*t gas ). I hope to find a source for high octane fuel near to where I live. The nearest track is Sacramento Speedway (one hour south to me). Does anyone know if they even sell high octane gas there? I'm really unsure about having to fool with octane boosters to run higher boost SAFELY.
Yes, APS definitely intends to come out with the toggle for a different tuning map for the TT as well. I think APS is a real up and coming FI company in the U.S.

Man, I hope you can get the Sunoco 105 Octane at the track. I used to run this with my eclipse turbo and it allowed me to safely turn up the boost a bit for serious giggles. It is REAL good gas. LIke day vs. night. I know for sure my knock sensor would have jumped in and retarded timing and power big time on the 93 octane compared to the 105. I remember someone posting on another thread somewhere that you could get higher octane at "selected gas stations" in CA, but they didn't post any specifics more than that.

My own experience is that 105 octane booster and STP octane booster aren't all that great. Might boost you from 93 octane up to 94 octane. My first hand knownledge is only with the STP octane booster (for a short period of time) back in the early '90s and it was not worth a dime! But it did foul my plugs, though, ha. And I paid good money to foul my plugs, LOL. I have heard that you are better off using toulene - which may of course be used in some of the octane boosters. I had such poor luck with octane boosters that I just went to the Sunoco and never looked back. It is the real deal and I flat put it to the test. The engine even sounded better on the Sunoco, he he. It really did. Good luck. The APS twin turbo is also the real deal IMO.
Old 01-23-2005, 05:34 AM
More Power

Originally posted by calimarc

I would really really like to see APS come out with this addition to their TT Kit as well. Or is it the same for the TT system being of course they both use Unichip. I already have the APS TT kit and live in California (
The APS single turbo is due out May '05. So until then, I am green with envy of your APS twin turbo. I bet your turbo lag with the TT is practically non-existent But with 8 new inches of new snow on the ground here from yesterday, I am driving my winter beater car for a while anyway. Eh, spring's just around the corner (I wish!).
Old 01-23-2005, 05:42 AM
More Power

Yeah, did you see the thread about 2003z powdercoating her Vortech parts? They look great.
Yes, I've seen that thread now. Her Vortec looks really great! Really sweet. She definitely got boost now!