Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

turbo Kit Quality and price

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2004, 09:52 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Lorca@Z1
One word "cracking"

LOL...^^

My buddy has cracked his tubular steel manifolds on the PE kit....TWICE...in very short period of time. The second manifold cracked roughly a week or two after he had it replaced. And those PE manifolds are a work of art. TIG welded, and 321 tubular steel. They dont get much better than that....and they cracked.

I agree with Lorca. THe exhuast system and turbos are just putting too much downward pressure on the manifolds.
Old 11-01-2004, 09:56 AM
Lorca@Z1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Given the fact that the GReddy kit is mostly comprised of off the shelf componants that GReddy had in stock before the 350Z even came out I think they did a great job. The only parts of the GReddy kit that are actually designed for the 350Z are the exhaust manifolds, the oil pan and and the piping.

APS took much longer to come to market but they built a kit that was specifically designed for the 350Z and the attention to detail shows in the product.
Old 11-01-2004, 07:20 PM
SSR Engineering

Originally posted by Lorca@Z1
321 stainless has not worked on the Z32 and I don't expect it to work on the Z33. Aside from the expansion and contraction due to heat, there is just so much unsupported weight hanging off the manifolds that they don't hold up. Look at the pictures of the cracked cast GReddy manifold that I posted.

The only non-cast sollution on the Z32 that has held up has been inconel, which is somewhat cost prohibitive. I have inconel tubular manifolds with PE 1420's on my Z32 but they cost close to $2000 which is just going to kill the price of a high production kit.
All of the Z32 manifolds that I have seen are typical log style manifolds, there is hardly any runner length, or bracing to support the weight of a turbo. On ours you can see the long runner length, bracing and excellent welding to support the weight of a turbo.

If stainless steel cracks as much as you think it does, then why is it the top choice for high horsepower applications. Generally on all import vehicles, silvias, skylines, supras, rx-7s, evo's, wrx's etc. etc. How often do you see an article of one that has relatively high horsepower and uses a cast manifold?

The only benefit cast iron has on stainless steel is it's low cost.

Last edited by SSR Engineering; 11-01-2004 at 07:24 PM.
Old 11-01-2004, 07:40 PM
thawk408

Has PE switched to cast manifolds yet?
Old 11-02-2004, 09:17 AM
kjbalto

I am one of the quiet ones on the board that just read and am trying to learn as much as I can but I have to say something here. I think the APS kit does look well made, but from reading all the comments on this board it's obvious that everybody is trying to make a sale. I'm not stealing any credit to their kit, but everytime I read the praises of their kit I just look down at the signature and it says "APS DEALER". I know I will probably get flamed for saying this because I'm a nobody on this board but I just had to say it. I believe ETX also said something similar in his post. Everybody seems to praise the kit before it's even been proven to be the best only by passing along what they heard. I'll give it to you guys though, you do a good job hyping this kit up. lol It makes me want one but I'm still holding out to see the JWT kit.
Old 11-02-2004, 01:39 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Cast is less expensive than stainless? Maybe in terms of raw materials, but the mold costs for doing a cast manifold can be insane.
Old 11-02-2004, 05:06 PM
APS
Banned

Originally posted by Z1 Performance
Cast is less expensive than stainless? Maybe in terms of raw materials, but the mold costs for doing a cast manifold can be insane.
Spot on Z1. The total cost of an accurately cast and precision NC machined Ni Resist exhaust manifold can be quite high, particularly in low volume applications however the benefits are substantial. That is not to say that a well designed and manufactured 321 manifold is not applicable, but in the case of the 350 Z engine - given the structural and vibrational loads, thermal cycling and physical constraints, a fabricated manifold design in 321 will be compromised.

A casting also offers dimensional freedom for the design engineer so that the optimum internal profiles, radiuses and runner lengths can be utilized - in addition to the correct wall thickness and areas where more structural integrity is required to support the static and vibrational loads etc mentioned above. These are parameters that fabricated manifolds do not allow the engineer to have freedom over.

At APS, we regularly utilize fabricated 321 or inconel manifolds during the prototyping stages of product developent, but always have production manifolds cast and precision NC machined. In this way, we can deliver an exhaust manifold as part of the total system that will perform and have a very long service life. And in the case of the Z engine, changing cracked or broken manifolds is a task you don't want to go through...

George
Old 11-02-2004, 06:29 PM
aalzuhair

Two TT kits I like, Ultimate Racing (the one I have ) and APS

And both use Garrett turbos, Bar and Plate IC, equal length piping, and the list goes on... IMO they are the best TT kits out there for the Z33

Az