Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Vortech owners: What all have you added on top of the SC kit?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2004 | 07:06 AM
baptist

Yes, I have the Greddy Type S on my Vortech.
Old 11-20-2004 | 12:34 PM
ktown z

I have the turbo xs rfl blow off valve and it is scary. At full boost its so loud it scares other drivers on the road. People really jump up when I shift. You will like it. My neighbors love it, because they always give me a waving finger showing me I am number one, when I rev the beast.
Old 11-20-2004 | 06:53 PM
DBZCat

Originally posted by ktown z
I have the turbo xs rfl blow off valve and it is scary. At full boost its so loud it scares other drivers on the road. People really jump up when I shift. You will like it. My neighbors love it, because they always give me a waving finger showing me I am number one, when I rev the beast.
wow, that sounds awesome! LOL, you wouldn't happen to have a sound clip would ya...
Old 11-22-2004 | 07:57 AM
nexstage350

Originally posted by baptist
Yes, I have the Greddy Type S on my Vortech.
sorry to bug, i have plans on purchasing a SC soon, but i want that blowoff valve so bad. can you replace the stock BOV with the greddy? does it bolt right up? how does your greddy BOV sound with your vortech? does it make the sound everytime you shift? sorry for bugging you just doing some research. thank for your post.
nexstage350
Old 11-27-2004 | 07:34 AM
baptist

Sorry on the late reply!
Yes, buy the universal type S and it bolts right up to the vortech pipework. Yes, you get the whoosh on every gear change and when the car is engine braking down through the gears when your off the throttle (throttle plate shut).
Sounds tremendous.
Old 11-27-2004 | 10:15 AM
freezeg35

Sorry on the late reply!
Yes, buy the universal type S and it bolts right up to the vortech pipework. Yes, you get the whoosh on every gear change and when the car is engine braking down through the gears when your off the throttle (throttle plate shut).
Sounds tremendous.
Baptist why did you get the type s? The reason im asking is im fed up with the vortech bov and all its leaky wheezing pissing sounds it makes. If this replacement will remedy that then im all over it.
Old 11-27-2004 | 10:21 AM
booger

Babtist....What kind of sound does it make when its open ? I know what sound it makes when it opens under boost , but is it quiet while it its open all the time . The Mondo that comes with the Vortech as you know has the annoying whistle when open all the time
Old 11-27-2004 | 10:48 AM
baptist

I've never had the original one fitted that came with the kit, so i cant compare the 2. It does whistle when you come off the throttle. I cant see it being any quieter than the original unit, as their is no filter fitted to the end of it. Easily done though. I personally love the sound of it. I have adjusted it a couple of times, as it used to scream and whistle like a banshee. Doesnt do that now, sounds just right. Only whistles above 2.5k rpm when decellerating.
Old 11-27-2004 | 12:38 PM
Z33Concept

Just add the crawford GO fast Goodies and you will be good gurl
l
Old 11-27-2004 | 01:37 PM
freezeg35

Default Re: Re: Vortech owners: What all have you added on top of the SC kit?

Originally posted by zbicklin
- I can get 8.5 psi boost because of my raised rev limiter from Altered Atmosphere's "technosquare" reflash.
- I also have a Crawford plenum which may or may not contribute heavily to horsepower figures under F/I but then again maybe it does.
- I also located a larger K&N air filter to the front bumper above the intercooler instead of the small one that comes with the Vortech kit.
Everything else I got was to assist in safety or reliability:
- JWT oil pan spacer for extra quart of oil.
- Wideband O2 sensor and boost gauges (this is a must!)
- Gates 93" belt. A little shorter and a little thicker than the one that comes with the Vortech
- NGK iridium plugs one step colder part.# NGK LFR6AIX-11
- I also got an "F/I" safe reflash from Altered Atmoshpere for additional safety and tuning measures.

Hope this helps!
zbrick, you got any pics of the relocation of the filter. The reason im asking is i would like to recerculate or vent the vortech bov into the pipe like you have between the filter and blower intake. May help get rid of that whistle.
Old 11-29-2004 | 09:21 AM
nexstage350

Sorry on the late reply!
Sounds tremendous.
thanks for the reply.. do u have any pics by chance? also what kind of mods have you added to your vortech? thanks again.
nexstage350
Old 11-29-2004 | 10:37 AM
baptist

I havent got a picture of the valve, its just the universal type S. I have kinetix cat replacements, JIC ypipe, nismo catback, AEM, boost gauge, usual stuff really. Looking to get a plenum, waiting on the APS, or the Kinetix, then I will tune the car.
Old 11-29-2004 | 11:13 AM
nexstage350

I havent got a picture of the valve, its just the universal type S. I have kinetix cat replacements, JIC ypipe, nismo catback, AEM, boost gauge, usual stuff really. Looking to get a plenum, waiting on the APS, or the Kinetix, then I will tune the car.
thanks for the response. you waiting for the aps plenum or the turbo? i am assuming the plenum. the vortech comes pre-tune or you have tune it? if so do you have to really get it tune just adding like all the exhaust stuff? i just doing some research b4 i make my purchase. hey thanks again for your response and sorry for buggin ya.
nexstage350
Old 11-29-2004 | 12:22 PM
baptist

I'm looking for the plenum. The vortech comes tuned very rich out of the box, so the exhaust mods worked great. Good luck
Old 11-29-2004 | 03:49 PM
luanda

OK Let's see.....

I bought the Vortech tuner kit.

Went with a custom tuner fuel solution based on 440cc injectors, upgraded Walbro fuel pump, and Greddy Emanage.

Relocated the filter to outside the engine bay, and went with an Apexi Filter. Went with the 93" Gates Belt.

Installed an oil cooler sandwiched between the intercooler and the rad. Installed a Koyo Rad.

Relocated BOV to have it routed back to intake.

Previously had NISMO headers, a JUN Flywheel, ACT Street Clutch, Crawford Plenum, Stillen Exhaust, and High Flow Magna Cats.

Stunned a viper driver when I pulled on him at an impromptu red light stomp!!! Oh if I had a camera...

I think I'm just about done with my baby - I call her "Zsa Zsa" 'cause she definitely has an attitude.....
Old 11-30-2004 | 03:17 AM
ttsupra94

^lol

After looking at FI info for quite a while, i think i've decided that the Vortech would be the best thing for me. I'm not trying to build a supercar or anything, so the vortech will provide enough horsepower. If I want something that fast, i will get a viper down the road and supercharge it or something, lol. This is also the best wallet friendly option it seems. I will probably try and do all this in the spring. I'll have to keep track of this thread so I know what all to get when i do decide to get it.
Old 11-30-2004 | 03:57 AM
baptist

The TT kits are undoubtably the best for power, but the Vortech is still a great kit. I love mine, would do it over again, no problems.
Old 11-30-2004 | 01:21 PM
zbicklin

Default Re: Re: Re: Vortech owners: What all have you added on top of the SC kit?

Originally posted by freezeg35
zbrick, you got any pics of the relocation of the filter. The reason im asking is i would like to recerculate or vent the vortech bov into the pipe like you have between the filter and blower intake. May help get rid of that whistle.
I don't have a digital cam or a scanner so I can help with pics. I used FlexiHose high temp 3" automotive hose for the air filter extension. Its that orange kevlar wrapped wire coil tubing you see in race cars for break cooling and sometimes air intakes. I also used a 3.5" rubber gutter connector form Lowes as the hose clamp for the S/C.
I like your idea though. Kinda like what factory turbo or s/c'd cars do. I may consider trying to fab up something if I ever get tired of my BOV sound.
Old 12-03-2004 | 05:59 AM
nexstage350

I'm looking for the plenum. The vortech comes tuned very rich out of the box, so the exhaust mods worked great. Good luck
sorry to bug again, will the vortech kit pass emissions? is it carb legal yet?
thanks,
Lindsey doringo
Old 12-03-2004 | 06:37 AM
mcduck

Well, technically, I added the Vortech on top of most of the mods below, but the cumulative effect is still the same...
  • Crawford Plenum (v1 polished)
  • Nismo Cams
  • Crawford Headers
  • Crawford Cats
  • Borla True Dual Exhaust
  • UR Pulleys
  • Max Grounding System
  • Idle bumped up 100rpm by Nissan Service... NO other ECU mods whatsoever!

Best dyno to date...
424.9rwhp
339.8rwtq

Next upgrades...
3.12" pulley (tested, removed until tuning can be scheduled)
CMIII Clutch & JUN Flywheel

Quick Reply: Vortech owners: What all have you added on top of the SC kit?