Notices
G35/G37 General discussion and news for Infiniti's G or for full Forums check out MyG37.com or G35Driver.com

Best ways to Up HP (w/o turbo/nos)

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2004, 11:50 PM
s4m222

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best ways to Up HP (w/o turbo/nos)

what are the best bolt on part for hp on the G35?
ive read parts of the exhaust are fairly restrictive,
dont know much about the intake...

best bolt ons for hp gain?
Old 12-01-2004, 12:08 AM
imalazeeass

I have heard recommendations of freeing up the intake first.. like getting yourself a plenum and maybe a z tube/ pop charger. Then get some high flow cats followed by an exhaust or a y pipe and so fourth..
Old 12-01-2004, 06:22 PM
s4m222

what is a plenum? (sorrie)....

i was thinking about CAI... i know about hydro lock but i dont think i will have to worry about it... its all just hype about hydro lock i think

isnt the y pipe on the G's restrictive? i dont have all the money in the world so i want to make the most for me dollar...
Old 12-01-2004, 07:11 PM
skyl1ne6mt

like imala said.. get an inatke, plenum, header, hi flow cats and exhaust.
Old 12-01-2004, 11:21 PM
imalazeeass

Originally posted by s4m222
what is a plenum? (sorrie)....

i was thinking about CAI... i know about hydro lock but i dont think i will have to worry about it... its all just hype about hydro lock i think

isnt the y pipe on the G's restrictive? i dont have all the money in the world so i want to make the most for me dollar...
http://kinetixracing.com/index.asp?P...&ProdID=9&HS=1

that is a plenum. Good bang for your buck. If you want to spend a little more, there is a crawford one that is pretty popular. Either one will give you good performance. As for the CAI, depending on where you are, hydro lock may be an issue. You can always get a bypass valve to avoid the risk of that, but you lose power (so I heard). Best way is to just get the pop charger w/ z tube unless you're more in it for the look.. like i am :P

In terms of your y pipe, it is restrictive and i've heard good stuff about the fujitsubo y pipe as well as their exhaust..
Old 12-02-2004, 01:49 AM
s4m222

is plenum pretty DIY friendly for a beginning, like intake? or is it more intensive like replacing headers?

should be fairly easy... since it all on top but im the novice here so easy DIY or no?

Last edited by s4m222; 12-02-2004 at 01:51 AM.
Old 12-02-2004, 02:27 AM
ttsupra94

I'm pretty sure its fairly easy from what i've heard.
Old 12-04-2004, 11:52 AM
ZeroGen

If you really wanted to go all out NA, then get ITBs.

With the intake, plenum, headers, cats, exhaust route, don't forget about the electronics side. Get a A/F computer or the TS ECU upgrade.
Old 12-04-2004, 12:02 PM
Poptarts

i bought the injen CAI and noticed a differnece on the dyno. about 8hp, 9tq gain. a tenth or two at the track, and makes the car a little louder in the top end.

i live in houston where it rains all the time. as long as you keep the filter oiled and cleaned you wont have any problems with hydrolock as long as you are not driving through flood waters.

im still kinda new also. what is an ITB? and where can ECU upgrade be purchased?
Old 12-04-2004, 04:35 PM
EricG35

Originally posted by Poptarts
what is an ITB?

Individual Throttle Body

Not an inexpensive mod, lol.
Old 12-05-2004, 09:56 AM
orhanz33

Originally posted by s4m222
is plenum pretty DIY friendly for a beginning, like intake? or is it more intensive like replacing headers?

should be fairly easy... since it all on top but im the novice here so easy DIY or no?
looks pretty easy to do... i have a crawford plenum that i haven't gotten around to installing yet...

best simple mods you can get and install yourself are:
JWT popcharger
Crawford Plenum
High Flow Cats (kinetix, crawford, ulitimate racing)

I've read that Crawford headers are also a great mod w/ a lot of power, but install is expensive, not to mention the headers themselves are $1200 but those first 3 mods are the ones most people get/agree with, great way to start... if you plan on staying NA and continue modding, that's when you have to research stuff and figure out what's best for you and your car since everyone has different preferences from that point
Old 12-05-2004, 01:05 PM
imod350

where can i purchase a crawford plenum?
Old 12-05-2004, 01:11 PM
Vanos_Villain

Originally posted by imalazeeass
http://kinetixracing.com/index.asp?P...&ProdID=9&HS=1

that is a plenum. Good bang for your buck. If you want to spend a little more, there is a crawford one that is pretty popular. Either one will give you good performance. As for the CAI, depending on where you are, hydro lock may be an issue. You can always get a bypass valve to avoid the risk of that, but you lose power (so I heard). Best way is to just get the pop charger w/ z tube unless you're more in it for the look.. like i am :P

In terms of your y pipe, it is restrictive and i've heard good stuff about the fujitsubo y pipe as well as their exhaust..
Do you guys prefer Crawford or Kinetix plenums?
Old 12-06-2004, 09:20 AM
StarcraftBW

mods like my sig j/k
Old 12-06-2004, 09:28 AM
Logikal_Disasta

In This order:
INTAKE (CAI PERFERABLY)
EXHAUST (TRUE DUAL CAT BACK)
HEADERS AND TEST PIES
SAFC
PLENUM
UD PULLEY/FLYWHEEL

THESE ARE THE MOST AFFORDABLE AND THE EASIER DO-IT-YOURSELF INSTALLS WITHOUT BOOST OR FI, THE ONLY THING IS ONCE YOU DO ALL THESE MODS, YOU WANT BOOST...LOL...SO MAKE SURE THAT THIS IS THE MODS YOU WANT TO STAY WITH ON YOUR CAR, IF NOT JUST SAVE THE MONEY YOU WERE GONNA USE ON THESE MODS AND JUST GO BOOST, B/C YOU WONT BE ABLE TO USE ANY OF THESE MODS WITH YOU BOOST.
Old 12-06-2004, 09:39 AM
imalazeeass

That is not true, even if he goes boost, there are mods that he can keep from your list. Best thing to do is to go for mods that would work for both NA and FI for the future. LIke for example, if he goes FI, that does not mean he wont be able to use his exhaust? Same for the plenum.
Old 12-06-2004, 09:11 PM
severedties

where can i find more info on the ITB???? thanks
Old 12-09-2004, 07:05 PM
Logikal_Disasta

are you serious..pfft...lol...all aftermarket exhaust are MAX 2.5in in diameter...he needs atleast 3" exhaust and that is only custom...ye sure he could use the cans but i wouldnt recomend it. for that he would have to buy just the cans and there arent a lot of manufactures that seel just the cane that i would trust with boost. and the plenum ok ye he can use that but everything esle is useless...
Old 12-09-2004, 07:09 PM
Logikal_Disasta

plus why would you want to spend 600-800 on an exhaust when boost costs well over 4g's...waste of money, just go to any muffler shop that does mandrel bending and it will cost you at most 200 for the custom piping, including the down pipe...all the mods i have listed will cost you 2g's atleast...for that save your money and go boost, that is the question that i am asking myself why i didnt do in the first place...but when it gets down to it this is my daily driver and i cant worry about blowing piston rings and head gaskets
Old 12-09-2004, 08:33 PM
ZeroGen

For the ECU upgrade, go here:

http://www.technosquareinc.com/nissan.htm

For the Air / Fuel computer, Greddy makes one called the E-Manage. Allows you to fine tune the air to fuel ratio.

Here's some basic info on ITBs off Toda's site:

http://www.todaracing.com/products/h...le_bodies.html

Keep in mind that these ITBs are for the NSX. ITBs for a 350Z / G35C would probably be around 4 to 5k.

Here's a link on Tommy Kaira's site (it's in Japanese) for a pic of the ITBs:

http://www.tommykaira.com/fan/dev/nccp.htm

I think these are for the VQ35 engine but since I can't read Japanese, I can't say for sure. Don't remember if it was posted here or G35driver.com but there was a pic and some general info on ITBs. Do a search either here or G35driver.

Quick Reply: Best ways to Up HP (w/o turbo/nos)