Notices
G35/G37 General discussion and news for Infiniti's G or for full Forums check out MyG37.com or G35Driver.com

Who traded a 350 Z in on their G35?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2003, 04:09 PM
fotodad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who traded a 350 Z in on their G35?

Hello, Infiniti G35c owners. I currently own a 350 Z and am thinking about trading it in on a G35c. I'm hoping someone out there has done this already and can give me some insight as to whether they felt they made the right decision or regret getting rid of the Z. I drove both vehicles before buying the Z. I bought the Z because it saved me $5,000.00. My Nissan dealership was willing to negotiate while the Infiniti dealership would not. Plus the only G35s the dealership had had a ton of extra options I neither wanted or could afford. But I've become frustrated with the problems with the Z (tire wear, bouncy ride, greasy window, terrible sounding Bose system, rattles). I know, I should have done my homework better. Be that as it may, I'm doin' it now. I'm sure many of you G35c owners have read the posts for the Z. Is the G35c experiencing as many inherent problems as the Z is having? If so, what are they and what is Infiniti doing about it? If you drove/owned a Z for a good number of miles and now have the G35c, what are your thoughts on performance, reliability, ride, comfort, etc. Some of you may say I'm not comparing apples to apples. Probably true, but I'd like whatever input you can offer. The rear seat is nice but not important to me.

Please offer some guidance.

PS I know I'm going to take it in the shorts if I trade my Z in on a G35, but I'm willing to do it if I can finally get some enjoyment out of my purchase. Instead of worrying about the next problem.

Thanks!!!!
Old 05-10-2003, 04:12 PM
fotodad

Default Oops!

One other thing, what discussion forum is out there for the G35c that is similar in popularity as my350z.com?

Thanks
Old 05-10-2003, 04:19 PM
2003z

Default We have both

The G is much more comfortable, has nicer amenities (even an anti-microbial steering wheel and shift ****!), is stylish, and almost as powerful. That being said, its no Z. Personally, I like the Z much better. We aren't experiencing tire problems on either car, but I did get the Z aligned on my own shortly after I got it. The G has the same window grease problems, but the Bose stereo is slightly better than the Z's, (I think its because it has speed control volume instead of a mic that monitors ambient noise). no subwoofer though, the bass sounds better than my friends touring z.

Our G has 17" wheels, while the Z has 19s, and thats a good part of the ride difference. It rode a lot stiffer (The G) when I had my track rays on it. The Gs ride is not bouncy.

Hope it helps. I still pick the Z!
Old 05-10-2003, 04:44 PM
fotodad

Default Re: We have both

Originally posted by 2003z
The G is much more comfortable, has nicer amenities (even an anti-microbial steering wheel and shift ****!), is stylish, and almost as powerful. That being said, its no Z. Personally, I like the Z much better. We aren't experiencing tire problems on either car, but I did get the Z aligned on my own shortly after I got it. The G has the same window grease problems, but the Bose stereo is slightly better than the Z's, (I think its because it has speed control volume instead of a mic that monitors ambient noise). no subwoofer though, the bass sounds better than my friends touring z.

Our G has 17" wheels, while the Z has 19s, and thats a good part of the ride difference. It rode a lot stiffer (The G) when I had my track rays on it. The Gs ride is not bouncy.

Hope it helps. I still pick the Z!
2003z,

Thanks so much! Your information was a huge help. Would you say the ride on the G35 was slightly smoother but not enough to make a difference, noticably smoother, substantially smoother, or WOW! the ride on the G35 is day and night better than the ride on the Z!!

That's cool you own both vehicles! I'd love to see your driveway after you've just cleaned and waxed them. Must be an impressive sight!

Thanks again,
Michael
Old 05-10-2003, 05:00 PM
2003z

After consultation with my wife, we both agree, substantially smoother, but not WOW. Heres a shot, but neither has the pictured wheels anymore.
Attached Thumbnails Who traded a 350 Z in on their G35?-zg.jpg  
Old 05-10-2003, 05:11 PM
fotodad

Default SWEET!

Originally posted by 2003z
After consultation with my wife, we both agree, substantially smoother, but not WOW. Heres a shot, but neither has the pictured wheels anymore.
2003z,

You've got the world by the *****! Wow! Kickass neighborhood, two kickass cars, and probably a kickass wife! Plus you live in a state where it's warm all the time! You better wake up each day with a huge smile on your face.

Thanks for the valuable info and the cool picture. If push came to shove, I'd say I like the styling of the Z ever so slightly more (thickness of a hair better). But I drive 30 minutes to work and 30 minutes back home on some bumpy highways each day. The ride on the Z is starting to get to me. I wonder if the tires (Bridgestones on the Z, Michellins I think on the G) have something to do with the ride. If so, would a tire change help much?

Have a great Mother's Day!
Michael
Old 05-10-2003, 05:22 PM
2003z

Do you have the 17s or 18s. The G only gets michelins with the 18s, so ours has goodyears on it. Before you trade, I would consider getting some eibach springs, because everyone who has installed them has loved the ride and lack of bounciness. They only cost about 225 or so. Tires might add to it also. If you have 18s, have you considered buying/borrowing a set of 17s to see if you like the ride better, or switching to an All season michelin. Even with labor, thats under 1000 total, much less than you will lose if you trade the Z in.
Old 05-10-2003, 05:48 PM
fotodad

Default Good points!

I've got the 17" wheels. Which provides for a better ride, 17s, 18s, 19s+?

I thought about the Eibach springs but then decided against them because they lower the car over an inch.

Someone on this board mentioned getting Michellin AC Pilots and noticing a big difference in the ride. Problem is I buy these tires for about $800.00, have them installed, and then not think the ride is that much better.

Hey, thanks for the suggestions and trying to save me some money. I appreciate it!
Old 05-10-2003, 05:54 PM
2003z

17s will give a better ride, becuase you've got more sidewall to flex on the bumps. Also, Sams club sells 17" tires, and mounts them really cheap, I think about $8 per wheel, and they can special order. Also, check out www.onlinetires.com for great mail order deals.
Old 05-10-2003, 05:59 PM
fotodad

Thanks, 2003z!

Anyone else have thoughts on my subject?
Old 05-10-2003, 08:08 PM
Tigerstylez

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok my thoughts...I am getting the g35, but I have a buddy who is getting the 350z. I have driven both and these are merely my thoughts....

350z=sports car plain and simple. It is a 2 seater...it is lighter...it has a stiffer suspension (so better handling but rougher ride)...slightly shorter wheelbase...slightly (very slightly) less amenities.

g35=coupe. 4 seater (even if the back seat is nill)...little heavier...more of a smoother suspension, but still enough to handle more than tight enough...longer wheel base...option of a sunroof....few more amenities.

The reason I went witht he g35 is I like the slightly more versatility it has over the z. plus insurance is lower because it is a coupe. Also, it keeps up well enough with the Z in power and handling as far as I am concerned. It will hold virtually all mods a Z will hold, so do not let that sway you.

As far as the wheel size affecting ride it depends on what you mean by ride. If you are talking smoothness, yes the smaller wheel will be smoother because of what was said above...however as far as total over all ride I think the larger tire has more benefit because it will increase your handling and stability, and the smoothness lost is minimal from my experience.

What made my mind up was that I like the look of the G a little better (especially the fron tend) and a sunroof is something I just enjoy having, those are the main reason...and I think the interior is a little better.
Old 05-10-2003, 08:24 PM
fotodad

Tigerstylez,

Thanks for the input! Just out of curiousity, how much more will a G35c cost you over a Z in TN?

Enjoy!
Old 05-10-2003, 09:03 PM
Tigerstylez

need more info...with what options?

my g35 is ordered and it has all the goodies except a navi...a similar 350z enthusiast with everything but navi was going to be about $3000-$4000 less

so I guess that is a decent answer...the only problem is infiniti is still not negotiating much with the prices..especially on a 6MT....where *** with a 350z you may be able to wiggle them a little bit.

hope this helps
Old 05-10-2003, 09:04 PM
2003z

Insurance: 6mos with progressive: Z=537 G=369

However, G has a lot more amenities.
comparing Track with auto G with prem. pkg.
sunroof
leather
bose
anti-microbial steering wheel and shifter
extra year warranty
loaner car
roadside assistance
dual zone a/c
heated seats
steering wheel audio controls
dual cupholders
(all I can think of now)

The G stickered at 500 more than the Z, both with nav.
Old 05-10-2003, 09:06 PM
Tigerstylez

yeah but I do not think you can compare the track Z to a G35...totally different in my opinion

I think a fully loaded G is closer to a fully loaded enthusiast in my mind.
Old 05-10-2003, 09:09 PM
2003z

actually closer to a touring, since you cant get nav in an enthusiast, and still about 750 more than a loaded touring
Old 05-10-2003, 10:31 PM
Tigerstylez

oh yeah....touring is what I meant....said enthusiast because that is what my friend here in town is getting so he can make it the way he wants....

heh
Old 05-13-2003, 12:26 PM
Edretti

I as well have a Track z and a fully loaded G (6mt) including nav. Both vehicles are awesome and very similar. My z must be different from others because I cannot say it rides rough and it has the 18" rays. The z feels more responsive then the G but not by much. I think hands down the G is a much nicer vehicle. Don't get me wrong, I still love my Z but it is no G. The looks, performance, sunroof, back seats and trunk are all fantastic. I have both, how could I go wrong? But if you like the G, go for it. I can definitely promise you that you will NOT have any regrets!
Old 05-13-2003, 12:53 PM
Tigerstylez

edretti...

what do you think of your clear bra? As my G is on order I have to decide if I am going to get the teflon/simoniz package and/or the clear bra. Have you had any trouble with yours with rock sticking in the plastic or having a definate seam on the edges?

Let me know what you think...trying to get as many opinions as I can....

thanks
Old 05-13-2003, 03:57 PM
Edretti

I must say that the clear bra is LEAST noticeable on silver and most noticeable on black. I have had no problems with rocks sticking to film and it's been very durable thus far. I installed it with a friend of mine who puts them on high line cars for a hobby so I was lucky to get a break on the labor. I only have 800 miles on my G but I have 4000 on the Z and it's been on since day one and is in perfect shape. If you have a black car then I really recommend a leather bra which is barely noticeable on black but I definitely don't recommend one on any other color. The 3M kit offered by invinca-shield is the best I think. I personally recommend the upper and lower mirror peices and the deluxe kit. Click on the link below and you can see the kit. Personally I don't think you should waste your money on simonizing and teflon. I think you can do this yourself with zaino at a much reasonable cost. Hope this helps and feel free to ask me any questions.

http://www.invinca-shield.com/asp/genkit.asp?kit=2022

Quick Reply: Who traded a 350 Z in on their G35?