Notices
G35/G37 General discussion and news for Infiniti's G or for full Forums check out MyG37.com or G35Driver.com

G37 cocky salesman

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 12:36 PM
Greedy4nismo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

assuming your 06 Z is base, and assuming we are talking about a Manual G37 Coupe, it would be really close.

Base 06 Z - 179.7 hp / ton (300hp, 3339lbs)
08 G37 Coupe - 179.9 hp / ton (330hp, 3668lbs)

my guess would be that in a straight line with high speed, the G37 would win, but if its a realistic race, meaning turns, braking, accelerating, the 06Z would have my vote. The extra weight of the G37 will make it underperform in the handling and braking dept...in either case, the Z wouldn't get "dusted" by the G37 Coupe. The G37 is simply too heavy.

stats taken from autos.msn.com

Last edited by Greedy4nismo; 10-02-2007 at 12:40 PM.
Old 10-03-2007, 04:05 PM
Fairly Z

You'll probably be evenly matched. The Z is considerably lighter than both of the G coupes. Your Z is an '06, which has a tad more horsepower than the previous years (not like the '07 though) and it's a revup motor. I think you'll be fine.
Old 10-03-2007, 09:46 PM
cvt

isn't the 06 Z going by the old sae rating too?
Old 10-03-2007, 10:02 PM
VitViper

Originally Posted by cvt
Yeah, the G has like 40whp over the 06 Z.
Old 10-03-2007, 10:08 PM
Regul8or

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cvt
yea we covered this earlier, and realized that my 06 manual has 293 HP with the new ratings.

Anyways, I had the privilege of seeing my friends new 07 (rhino as I call them, because of the bulge in the hood ) PPW 6spd in action today. I just met this guy through a friend of mine, but regardless the car was broken in, just over 2k on it, and completely stock.

So, I was really curious and I called him out. Now, he was a decent driver as am I, so I will disregard any driver advantages/disadvantages. He did have his gf with him though, but I did have a full tank of gas. Give or take a few pounds, Id say my car was approximately 100 pounds lighter.

we made two runs, first from 10, but he missed the 1-2 shift, then I caught up with him and went from 40 in 2nd. I beeped it off, and we went at the same time. I got ahead of him by about a half car, meaning his front bumper was at my door, etc. It was so weird because we were shifting at different points because of his 500 RPM higher redline. It was back and forth until i shifted into 4th and after 100 only then did he start to pull slightly, we ended at about 115 or so, and he was no more than a half car in front of me (there was a half car length of space between his back and my front).

Overall I was impressed with the car but I though he would beat me a little more than I expected. I think Im pretty confident now after seeing a rhino in action and testing out the G37 that I should beat the infiniti because of my less weight and fairly even power curve ( i know "peak HP") and only until we reach a really high speed will it pass me and pull away.

thoughts?? anybody else have any experiences with an 07 rhino??
Old 10-04-2007, 07:32 AM
cvt

Originally Posted by Regul8or
yea we covered this earlier, and realized that my 06 manual has 293 HP with the new ratings.

Anyways, I had the privilege of seeing my friends new 07 (rhino as I call them, because of the bulge in the hood ) PPW 6spd in action today. I just met this guy through a friend of mine, but regardless the car was broken in, just over 2k on it, and completely stock.

So, I was really curious and I called him out. Now, he was a decent driver as am I, so I will disregard any driver advantages/disadvantages. He did have his gf with him though, but I did have a full tank of gas. Give or take a few pounds, Id say my car was approximately 100 pounds lighter.

we made two runs, first from 10, but he missed the 1-2 shift, then I caught up with him and went from 40 in 2nd. I beeped it off, and we went at the same time. I got ahead of him by about a half car, meaning his front bumper was at my door, etc. It was so weird because we were shifting at different points because of his 500 RPM higher redline. It was back and forth until i shifted into 4th and after 100 only then did he start to pull slightly, we ended at about 115 or so, and he was no more than a half car in front of me (there was a half car length of space between his back and my front).

Overall I was impressed with the car but I though he would beat me a little more than I expected. I think Im pretty confident now after seeing a rhino in action and testing out the G37 that I should beat the infiniti because of my less weight and fairly even power curve ( i know "peak HP") and only until we reach a really high speed will it pass me and pull away.

thoughts?? anybody else have any experiences with an 07 rhino??
i thought street racing posts were a no-no.

in any case it's still a few variables off. the best way to test it is same driver, same track.

but you're definatley right. on a dig you'll get the jump on the G37. on the freeway 50mph pull (where weight plays less of a factor) his 33whp will have him crawl up front.

performance-wise the G was not meant to compete with a 350z. it's for old guys like me who after driving for years with stiffer suspension and loud exhausts..want a something different..but still feel nostalgic at times for a Z.

hopefully to pick mine up this saturday!
Old 10-04-2007, 07:33 AM
RBull

Originally Posted by Rampant
Just for the record (not that it really matters), I never gave specific numbers -- all I said was 400# or so. And, according to your numbers, it was a 343# difference -- so I was at least close. So, if you are going to call someone out for giving incorrect info, you might want to make sure you have the right person.

Also, as far as weights are concerned, many different sources can give different weights depending on trim, options, fuel, etc., so it is quite common to get slightly different numbers -- all of which are legitimate.

The important thing in this discussion is people were expecting the extra 0.2L and 30hp or so in the G37 to give a significant performance advantage. However, in the real world in might not be realized--primarily because of the increase in weight. We can bench race all we want, but until we can get the cars on the same street at the same time, we will never know for sure.
My apologies. I meant to name Arnold K posting the incorrect weights. I've updated my post. Some slight weight variation is expected with different sources. That's why I always use the ones direct from the manufacturer.

I agree with your bench racing comment. That's why I stated it's a drivers race, at least on paper.

Last edited by RBull; 10-04-2007 at 07:36 AM.
Old 10-04-2007, 09:20 AM
Regul8or

Originally Posted by cvt
i thought street racing posts were a no-no.

in any case it's still a few variables off. the best way to test it is same driver, same track.

but you're definatley right. on a dig you'll get the jump on the G37. on the freeway 50mph pull (where weight plays less of a factor) his 33whp will have him crawl up front.

performance-wise the G was not meant to compete with a 350z. it's for old guys like me who after driving for years with stiffer suspension and loud exhausts..want a something different..but still feel nostalgic at times for a Z.

hopefully to pick mine up this saturday!
yes, I know, street racing posts are not allowed, but still, i thought it was relevant. Post some pics when you get it!
Old 10-05-2007, 10:15 PM
RedLine 350z

I think it would be a driver's race. Sometimes, heavy foot or being nervous could cause a burn-out or bogged the car. If it's the same driver with time slips, then the G37 might edge out at the end... probably by a nose.
Old 10-05-2007, 10:35 PM
cvt

G37 at 330 new sae rated hp n/a (around 340-ish by the old rating) it would have been nice to get E46 M3 performance numbers...maybe that's too much to ask for a $40K car.
Old 10-07-2007, 10:09 AM
cvt

Originally Posted by Regul8or
Post some pics when you get it!
here you go! Sport package (14" 4 piston rotors, lightweight 19 w/ RE050s, sport tuned suspension, LSD, aluminum pedals, etc.) with sunroof and spoiler. plus some things thrown in (3M clear bra, GAP insurance, etc.) 42.5K OTD.

Definately not as hardcore as my Z. but it's not supposed to be and i am loving it. Maybe i'm just getting old.
Attached Thumbnails G37 cocky salesman-g37.jpg   G37 cocky salesman-g37-left.jpg   G37 cocky salesman-g37-rear.jpg   G37 cocky salesman-g37-rims.jpg   G37 cocky salesman-vq37hr.jpg  

Old 10-07-2007, 10:23 AM
diwun67

Very nice cvt I encountered one yesterday on the highway, I was pleasantly surprised to see him pushing it past 100mph, so I kept pace and gave him a thumbs up
Old 10-07-2007, 10:48 AM
Zcarboy

I saw a few at the dealer last night they don't really look bad at all in person, but on line in the pics don't look as good, but I liked it.
Old 10-07-2007, 10:54 AM
Regul8or

Originally Posted by cvt
here you go! Sport package (14" 4 piston rotors, lightweight 19 w/ RE050s, sport tuned suspension, LSD, aluminum pedals, etc.) with sunroof and spoiler. plus some things thrown in (3M clear bra, GAP insurance, etc.) 42.5K OTD.

Definately not as hardcore as my Z. but it's not supposed to be and i am loving it. Maybe i'm just getting old.

Very nice, and you're right its not supposed to be anything like the Z. What do you think of the transmission/clutch/shifter?? I think they improved big time on those 3 components
Old 10-07-2007, 10:56 AM
Frostydc4

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by cvt

Did you get the 6MT or the 5AT? Congrats man . How does the lowend torque (driving from 1-3.5k) on the 3.7 compare to your old DE? The thing that disappointed me with the new G35 sedan is that it felt relatively torqueless compared to the old DE motors (however above 5k I was all smiles ). Also how are the new brakes? I am also thinking about trading for the G37 and I'm wondering if the updates (motor & brakes) make it worthwhile. Thanks for answering my questions.
Old 10-07-2007, 06:19 PM
cvt

whoa..lots of questions..ummm compared ot the De the De is the torquiest (is that a word?) of the Z/G VQs...I think more than the rev-ups and the 35HR down low. the top end of the 37HR is king. after 5K it keeps pouring. this engine on a 3400lbs Z is gonna be awesome!!!

the brakes are great! but you have to understand that it weighs almost 3800lbs so they are a must more than anything.

...if anyone is wanting a performance upgrade form a Z (or even in some ways a G) then you won't get your money's worth with a G37...like i said, the time of hash suspension and loud exhausts are behind me. i wanted something more luxurious but still a little sporty. plus i felt the 335i had too much body roll and had too much tendancy to wag it's tail..a little un-nerving since you get a slight turbo lag then all of a sudden you are hit with 300lbs fo tq. fun for real drivers but not an amateur tourer like me. i'm getting old. that's why i chose it.

btw-i test drove both AT and 6 speed and they both rock!...(more so the 6 than the auto). shifts on the 6 were close (found 4th a little tall) and the pseudo paddle shift thingy wasn't bad...not DSG/SMG worthy but not bad.
Old 10-07-2007, 10:21 PM
Frostydc4

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by cvt
whoa..lots of questions..ummm compared ot the De the De is the torquiest (is that a word?) of the Z/G VQs...I think more than the rev-ups and the 35HR down low. the top end of the 37HR is king. after 5K it keeps pouring. this engine on a 3400lbs Z is gonna be awesome!!!

the brakes are great! but you have to understand that it weighs almost 3800lbs so they are a must more than anything.

...if anyone is wanting a performance upgrade form a Z (or even in some ways a G) then you won't get your money's worth with a G37
I see. I was hoping the VQ37 would have the torque of the DE with added punch up top . The huge 14" rotors look (and I'm sure they perform) very nice. I will need to think this over after a test drive of the G37. Thanks for answering my questions.
Old 10-08-2007, 12:04 AM
Playboy's Z

too bad you dont have an 07, you would beat him. but id still think you would win.
Old 10-08-2007, 08:19 AM
cvt

Originally Posted by Frostydc4
I see. I was hoping the VQ37 would have the torque of the DE with added punch up top . The huge 14" rotors look (and I'm sure they perform) very nice. I will need to think this over after a test drive of the G37. Thanks for answering my questions.
yeah...after reading all the reviews for the G37 i thought i was going to be disappointed after driving a 335i. but i was overall impressed. so really, other people's opinions are just that...you never really know what's right for you untill you get behind the wheel.

my my suggestion is drive the G37 around first then drive the G35 after using same driving and same route. make sure you vary your driving, and throttle..(i doubt the salesman will let you go WOT...but i got to go at least 3/4), accelerate through corners, etc. everything apples to apples.

that's what i did with the 335i, G37, and my previous 03' 350z.
Old 10-08-2007, 09:43 AM
peterkim0121

Originally Posted by 2TH PWR
Tape the race, show his boss.

++++++++++111111111111

Quick Reply: G37 cocky salesman