Notices
G35/G37 General discussion and news for Infiniti's G or for full Forums check out MyG37.com or G35Driver.com

BaitFish's Wild Ride OR Misadventure on Ice

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2004, 10:54 AM
SteveZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Bait-Fish

EDIT: Oh yeah, forgot one more point. All blame cannot be placed on tires of course. Heh, if I was going slower I might have been able to make it through the slippery part *shrug* Don't doubt for one second though that these summer performance tires (Pilots) are okay to drive in these conditions. Countless others have had trouble in the cold as well. All I can say is search. Q45tech over at the Freshalloy forum posts substanciated information on the subject.
I'll say the same - the Pilots aren't that terrible on dry, cold packed snow (they still aren't too hot), but ice and snow closer to freezing, watch out!

You could be stationary on a slight slope and still slide off the road on ice with those tires - if you have slush on ice, the tread packs up and w/o a lot of sand, traction is gone...ICS and VSD wouldn't make any difference once you are sliding all four wheels on ice, if anything so long as you are still going straight your car would say, "whats the issue? we're not sliding?" (unless you were already on the brakes)...I'd rather drive in 20 degree weather with hardpack snow than 32-35 with slush and likely some packed down ice under it!

Old 01-30-2004, 10:59 AM
Boomer

Default Ca. snow

A lot of people who've never been to Cal think its either LA or SF. Most of Northern and Eastern parts are mountainous or forested, until you get way down south to Death Valley and the Mojave Desert. The Sierra Nevada range is huge the elevations are very high, many over 10,000 ft.

You were very lucky bf, I would suggest you may want to invest in some all weather or snow tires if you venture off to lightly traveled roads in the future at higher altitudes. Its good to know the G's chassis is so stout, but a very unpleasant way to find out. I'm just glad you made out OK.
Old 01-30-2004, 11:25 AM
Bait-Fish

Yeah, that's the plan. I'd like to have a set of 17"ers with snow tires on if I'm going to be out in this type of weather much. That as well as investing in some chains too. Speaking of which, my new car should be here in just over a month's time. I'd better get hopping on the shopping!

You're so right about the G. It was so composed throughout a day's drive, most of it raining and windy, absolutely no problems. It was just at that one moment all heck broke loose.

SteveZ, yeah, that 36, man! It was my first time through there. If it wasn't for the weather that road was incredible, all those twists, turns, dips, etc. It looked like a playground. I wasn't pushing it because it was wet but it was still a blast. Straight roads suck! I'll probably face this road again when it's dry and warm out in the summer.
Old 01-31-2004, 09:08 PM
rouxeny

Kind of an aside, but when your car is totaled, how much do you get from insurance? I would have to guess it's a fair amount less than the sticker price, but how much less?

Nice to see that you made it okay.

I recently made some $9000 of damage to my Z. Somebody else had about 12K and that was considered totaled.

My car was repaired and repaired well, but I have to say that it doesn't quite feel the same.
Old 02-01-2004, 06:12 AM
SteveZ

Originally posted by Bait-Fish
Yeah, that's the plan. I'd like to have a set of 17"ers with snow tires on if I'm going to be out in this type of weather much. That as well as investing in some chains too. Speaking of which, my new car should be here in just over a month's time. I'd better get hopping on the shopping!

You're so right about the G. It was so composed throughout a day's drive, most of it raining and windy, absolutely no problems. It was just at that one moment all heck broke loose.

SteveZ, yeah, that 36, man! It was my first time through there. If it wasn't for the weather that road was incredible, all those twists, turns, dips, etc. It looked like a playground. I wasn't pushing it because it was wet but it was still a blast. Straight roads suck! I'll probably face this road again when it's dry and warm out in the summer.
Just watch the clearance, not many 17's clear the brembo's I think...I have a set of Yokohama Guardex snows I was planning to use on my Z (17") but cannot use on the G35

Now it's "too late in the season" so I am not finding even 4 snows or A/S that match stock sizes for the 18's. Michelins are close with their A/S but the front is a 235/45/18, not a 225/45/18. I sometimes get this backwards, but I believe that means the front tires compared to stock would be 0.25-0.5" larger in diameter (same aspect ratio, wider must mean taller, I think)
Old 02-18-2004, 08:21 AM
Bait-Fish

Quick update here. The car has been totalled out. Talk about relief. Last week I received the bulk of the money in the mail, $3,000 or so being held until they get the spare keys and DMV title papers back. All said and done, I may have lost $1,000 total. Not bad in my opinion. It took eight weeks from crash to check in hand, not too swiftly settled. The new Gc I have ordered hopefully will be here in the first half of March, two months after ordering, just like the last one *fingers crossed* Thanks for everyone's comments, care, and concern. It's been quite a ride. Hopefully Gc part deux will go better than the first ;-)