Notices
G35/G37 General discussion and news for Infiniti's G or for full Forums check out MyG37.com or G35Driver.com

New member 2007 G35 Coupe (56k warning)

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 01:57 AM
Nunnally04

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member 2007 G35 Coupe (56k warning)

Alright, where to start. Well my name is Hayden Nunnally. I live in Alabama, and have for all 18 years of my life (yes, I am 18).

First off, I'm going to show some pictures of my first car, a riced out 2001 Honda Prelude. It did bring in the girls though haha. Had 27,xxx miles (all original) at the time of purchase. Mechanical wise, it ran great (though it made me hate FWD with a passion) but the modifications (mainly the suicide doors ) were a weekly (or more) problem. Pains of an all show-no go car.

The rear of this car was on of my favorite mods ^^^

I later stuffed 235 width tires on those 7in rims, which not only looked better, it held much higher speed in the turns.

A little bit about the car, I bought it (or rather my parents bought it) on my 15th Birthday. A close family friend (who had all the work done) let it go, because of what a headache it was, for a very good deal. I'd rather not say price, but lets say <10k. Had a coilover system (Koni springs, Ground Control coilover, Tokico blue shocks), body kit, suicide doors, full stereo, neons (:7, etc. Only "performance" parts was a KN filter and catback straight pipes. It was a great learning experience (working on it so much), was fast enough to be kinda fun, and drew me into the car world. If I could go back, I doubt I would have changed much, seeing it wasn't too* ricey.

Sold that car to someone else, he worked for an electrical company and was/is competent to give it the work it needs constantly. Sold it for more than I paid, but still a loss after all the work I had done.

Anyways, after finally deciding that a g35 was the car for me (Been searching cars long before I sold the Prelude) I started hunting. I originally wanted a 6 speed (Prelude was a 5 speed manual) but how hard it was to find a reasonably priced one, non moded, in good shape, and how it would be my daily driver for college (and a few other things) I decided to stick to auto. Besides, this is a good auto. Well after looking more, I found out that the 2007 (and some 2006s) had the ikey in auto, I really really wanted it. So I came to an agreement with my parents and they would give me a fair amount more towards the car (since I got full tuition and books paid for with a scholarship, for 4 years). Then I was to pay back $4k (on top of an extra $1k I had saved up). I had been working a minimum wage job, though 30-40hrs a week almost every week. Still work there (its a meat market, basically a grocery store that focuses on fresh meat and whatnot). Well I found a black 2007 with 54,xxx miles on it in Illinois for a fair cost. Owner (who I wish had not been the owner, thanks to some of his lying) claimed not a single scratch, no rust, no problems. Well he agreed to meet me in Nashville, TN (halfway for both of us) and met at an airfield (his dad was a pilot, who would fly him home upon purchase). Car was quite immaculate, but there were a few problems. First was the small scratches all over the car, including spider webs on the front bumper. Not a problem, if I had been told it was there before making the trip. The dishonesty worried me, and he tried to play it off as if he'd never seen it before. Caught him lying, but I digress. Next problem, the notorious window motor. Passenger side. I knew my stuff (thanks to reading on this forum for months before joining or purchasing the car) and I knew it was "normal". Once again, not a big deal, except that he lied and told me there were *no* problems. Oh well. Strike 2 for Daddy's money boy. Started hunting for rust. No rust. Looked for more problems (my dad is a mechanic and mainly electrician working for Thompson Tractor (part of CAT) so he knows his stuff) and found no more problems. So sometime in March, we bought the car. After registering and taxes and whatnot, it stayed barely below $20k.

Well I'm not sure the time frame on this, but I changed the oil at 55k. Put new back tires on (had stock sized Continental ExtremeContact DWS) in size 285/35/19 (btw this car had all options but navi), yes on stock rims. Trust me, its safe. It *will* hold up. I don't track the car (besides 1/4 mile) but it has been on many spirited drives. I haven't had the money to put front tires on yet.

Short background on my family, my brother (now 20 years old) owns a 2011 Dodge Challenger SRT8 (he is working full time (runs CNC machines), paying for it all himself). My mom* owns a 2000 Dodge Viper ACR. Haha odd right? Well she loved the way it looked when she saw one at a local car show (which my Prelude was often in). So I kinda have speed and skill in my blood.

On to the pictures, what you all really want.

First, this is on the Tail of the Dragon during a viper meet. My mom is in front of me, with another viper (800hp, supercharged) in front of her. The three of us are running together. The guy behind me, that was the closest he got unless we stopped. The guy in front (800hp viper) was a track guru, and one of the best drivers I'd ever seen. Him, my mother, and myself had to slow down to build a gap between ourselves and the vipers ahead of us (keep in mind nobody is cruising, all pushing hard) to give us room to have fun. All weekend (2 day thing) I had these guys asking me what all I had done. They were shocked as ever when I said "just rear tires" and laughed. I was pushing that car *very* hard, braking very late (tapping brakes mid corner to battle understeer, something I learned with the Prelude) and gassing it very early. Never crossed the yellow line, never wrecked, nothing. I hate to float my own boat, but I can drive pretty well. It's seriously in my blood. For reference, here is a video of the vipers in the *very front* who were going faster than us, and the guys behind them. I wish I had of had a camera so bad in my car to show you all, but this is the best I can do. Btw, the camera car here is a 2010 ACR, and I have no idea how to embed a video, so....link..haha

The only pic I have saved on my computer of that day. We (approx. 40 vipers (most were 600+ hp, some 1000+), a lambo, a gtr (alpha 9 ), a few corvettes (including a TT Z06), etc) were driving almost the entire day. And rarely driving the speed limit. 2 vipers and the GTR got tickets, one viper wrecked on the tail (same thing happened year before, same guy) and ruined the front, another guy (due to the crap thrown on the road from the previous guy) went into a ditch, with minimal damage. Nobody was hurt, aside from egos. Now the picture.

For those who don't wanna wait, skip to the last video that has the Mercedes driving.

Actually, here is a video of the parade afterwards (I didn't drive in this, it was supposed to just be the vipers, but that was changed last minutes, and I was already in the viper with my mom.

This video is from a guy in the back. Skip to 12 minutes to see all the cars that ran that day, skip to about 12:55 to see my dad (light blue polo), mom (only woman out of the 4 of us), me (blonde hair, no fear shirt), and the guy (Roger) with the 800hp viper who led my mother and I. 13min, there is my mom's viper (red, in front of me), and of course me.

You can see me driving a little in this video. Behind me is a red viper, this is the Mercedes behind him. You *only* see me when we slow down to build room or for traffic. Skip to 2:25, you'll see Roger go by (Black with white stripes) then my mom, then me. Note that the yellow charger moves out of the way at 4:00. Also note that the Mercedes is going a lot slower than the red viper, which is going slower than me. Skip to about 8:30 to watch me pull away haha

The thread where all this is found.
http://forums.viperclub.org/threads/...48#post3080548

And here are some picture from when I bought it, after cleaning, on the trip, whatever. Its all I have right now.

Tag isn't personalized, just a Barbers tag.

On the way to the meet, somewhere in TN.

Last edited by Nunnally04; 08-07-2012 at 02:42 AM.
Old 08-07-2012, 01:59 AM
Nunnally04

Then the horrible happened. I was going 50 on a 45 road (this is slow for me, but after a speeding (74 in a 55, about to turn 65) and a following too closely ticket (total being almost $600) I slowed it down) a dog walked out in front of me. I hit the brakes hard and moved as far to the side of the road as I could. Hit the dog at around 35-45 (wasn't watching, was trying to avoid hitting the poor stupid dog). Well long story short (for once) the dog was perfectly fine. He/she bounced off the bumper. Crapped on my car, but was fine. Completely. My car...not so much.

One a good note, I am going to save up and pay the difference out of pocket to upgrade to another bumper. I am thinking the Arch Industries K2 Remix (due to its clean look). And fitment is a big deal to me (learned the hard way with my Prelude) so trust is a big deal for me. Any advice on this guys?

Well for those of you who took the time to read all of this, I appreciate the interest. I hope you can handle my ricey-ness. Feel free to ask questions, suggest anything, whatever. I am fairly open minded haha. So how is this for a first post?

Btw, this was also posted on G35driver, but I wanted an account here because all the go-fast information is on this forum. All they care about is looks, it seems. And the FI forum here is like a dream haha
Old 08-07-2012, 02:11 AM
taryon

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats on the G
I was going 50 on a 45 road (this is slow for me, but after a speeding (74 in a 55, about to turn 65) and a following too closely ticket (total being almost $600) I slowed it down)
You might wanna drive slower though
Old 08-07-2012, 02:46 AM
Nunnally04

Originally Posted by taryon
Congrats on the G

You might wanna drive slower though
Thanks! And I learned my lesson on that finally. Cruise control has become my best friend haha.

Oh, and btw, I run a consistent 14.9-15.0 at 95ish mph at the 1/4 mile. This is a notorious slow track. There is a ZR1 with I/H/E the same night that ran a best of 11.2. I was hitting .1 reaction times though, so I did pretty well. Also beat am older 350z (20in wheels, system, etc) who was running 15.3ish...beat him twice lol.
Old 08-07-2012, 02:59 AM
KingBaby
Hardest Setting

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

Did you also join G35driver?

Welcome!
Old 08-07-2012, 03:01 AM
Nunnally04

Originally Posted by KingBaby
Did you also join G35driver?

Welcome!
I did. Most of this intro was just copied and pasted. My350z is a little better for information on FI, which is something I'm considering...in a few years.

Thanks!
Old 08-07-2012, 04:04 AM
Nunnally04

One of the first things I'm told on driver was that I would fit in better with the sti/evo guys.

This is why I joined my350z. Everyone (in general) cares more about function than form. Or even better, Function=form. Not the general view of Form>Function on driver.
Old 08-07-2012, 04:06 AM
KingBaby
Hardest Setting

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

Ah, well we do have our 'form' guys but function runs deep over here!
Old 08-07-2012, 04:10 AM
Nunnally04

Originally Posted by KingBaby
Ah, well we do have our 'form' guys but function runs deep over here!
Thank God. The way I look at it (because it is my daily, though I have other vehicles I can drive short term) is reliability>function=Form>=Cost. I learned with my Prelude that you get what you pay for. With little stuff I have planned soon (few cosmetics, tires, full brake job, etc), it's simple. The plans for the car in a few years (after college) is where it gets interesting. Hahah
Old 08-07-2012, 04:18 AM
JCITY
Banned

whew!
Alot of stuff,my man!
On a side note...live in neighboring GA.i'm constantly flabergasted on
the number of AL issued vanity plates.There is a L plate for every organization,
club,interest etc.The Barber(racing school)is a new one on me.
Old 08-07-2012, 04:24 AM
Nunnally04

Originally Posted by JCITY
whew!
Alot of stuff,my man!
On a side note...live in neighboring GA.i'm constantly flabergasted on
the number of AL issued vanity plates.There is a L plate for every organization,
club,interest etc.The Barber(racing school)is a new one on me.
haha Go big or go home, eh?

There are about 40 different plates, I believe. The barbers tag is a great small mod. I wish I could have put "rawr" on it, but sadly that was taken haha.

If you've never been to the Barbers car museum, you need to make a trip out of it man. Amazing place. What part of Georgia are you in?
http://www.barbermuseum.org/index-full.php
Old 08-07-2012, 07:57 AM
ImWeeZzel
350Z-holic

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

holy riced out prelude batman, that has to be the most hideous body kit evvvaaahh!!!

I can't believe I read the entire intro, your parents seem like really cool peeps. I've never seen that many vipers before. Congrats on the purchase, welcome to the forum, and drive safe.
Old 08-07-2012, 08:23 AM
Nunnally04

Originally Posted by ImWeeZzel
holy riced out prelude batman, that has to be the most hideous body kit evvvaaahh!!!

I can't believe I read the entire intro, your parents seem like really cool peeps. I've never seen that many vipers before. Congrats on the purchase, welcome to the forum, and drive safe.
Haha nahh. Not quite the worst!...just the front bumper....okay it was a little ricey...alot...I get it...haha

They can be, but being parents...well...you know how parents are haha.

I'm glad my intro was actually good enough to keep someone entertained haha. Just wait till the modifications start rolling in. Legendary, one day haha.

Thanks man.
Old 08-07-2012, 08:28 AM
tylerxfire

damn that prelude is real riced out kid...

anyway congrats on the G but slow it down..i didnt watch the vids but from ur story seems like ur a bad accident waiting to happen..

Last edited by tylerxfire; 08-07-2012 at 08:30 AM.
Old 08-07-2012, 12:30 PM
Nunnally04

Originally Posted by tylerxfire
damn that prelude is real riced out kid...

anyway congrats on the G but slow it down..i didnt watch the vids but from ur story seems like ur a bad accident waiting to happen..
Yeah, it was. Sadly. But thankfully I learned better.

And not really. I was pushing it hard considering I was on the street, but nothing dangerous. Like I said, never crossed the lines, never followed anyone's bumper, etc. Just speeding and sliding from time to time. I never even turned off vdc, if that helps clarify anything. I appreciate the concern though. I got all the ricer out of my system with my Prelude, so I'm careful. I'm fine with risking my own life, but I'm not going to put innocent citizens at risk. No disrespect intended, of course. Just don't want anyone thinking I am racing through traffic or anything. That isn't how I do things haha
Old 08-07-2012, 12:36 PM
Nunnally04

Also, keep in mind I am following behind my 53 (almost 54) year old mother this whole time. Granted she doesn't act like it or show it, but still. She would never let me get away with being to crazy haha.
Old 08-07-2012, 02:43 PM
Flo-ridaZ33

Received 73 Likes on 53 Posts

Welcome.
Old 08-07-2012, 04:42 PM
Nunnally04

Originally Posted by Flo-ridaZ33
Welcome.
Thank you good sir.
Old 08-07-2012, 05:41 PM
saywat?

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

so wat rice plans u got for the g?
Old 08-07-2012, 05:48 PM
pmab9918

Damn, so when does this book get published!!!!! Welcome!

Quick Reply: New member 2007 G35 Coupe (56k warning)