Notices
G35/G37 General discussion and news for Infiniti's G or for full Forums check out MyG37.com or G35Driver.com

Did i buy the wrong engine?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2020, 05:55 AM
jefffydee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did i buy the wrong engine?

Hello everyone, fellow G35 owner here. Mine is an 04 6MT with the standard DE engine. My engine spun a bearing or maybe something worse (oil pan is full of metal) but main point is that the engine needs to be replaced. I bought a low mileage engine from a company in New York (JDM ENGINE WORLD) They said it was a standard DE.

Here are a few pics of it. I found out today when I pulled my motor has a different harness.

Inside my battery compartment there are 3 connections for the engine harness, not 2 like the one on the engine I bought.

Also the two main plugs that go to the ECU are different.

Question is, can I swap my harness over to this engine or is this a NO GO?

If this motor is from an 05/06 can I still drop this engine into my car with the switched harness or will I have ECU issues.

I am running the stock ECU right now but want to eventually get the UpRev Tuner Engine Management.

Will this engine not work with the stock ECU but will work with the UpRev?

Any information/help/advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks guys.

Last edited by jefffydee; 10-22-2020 at 06:00 AM. Reason: More information
Old 10-22-2020, 08:42 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,291 Likes on 1,651 Posts

At what point did people start replacing an engine without stripping the harness and moving it to the new engine ?
Old 10-22-2020, 11:54 AM
jefffydee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At first I was going to leave my harness in the engine bay and swap the new engine into the car and plug everything in. Then when I saw the new engine had a full harness on it that wasn't all mangled and was in fact in better condition than my own I figured I would unplug my harness from the ECU and pull the motor with the harness draped over the top.

What I didn't realize is that the motor is from Japan and everything is RHD so some of the stuff was swapped left for right.

I was informed on another forum that the engine I bought was in fact a DE and that I needed to swap my harness onto the new motor.

Also sometimes the american alternator needs to be put on the Japanese motor. (I later saw the Japanese alternator uses a different connector).

I have many modifications (lightweight flywheel, aftermarket clutch, throttle body, plenum spacer, headers, lightweight crankshaft pulley etc) that need to be moved over to the new engine while it's out.

I covered everything with a tarp and am done with work for today, I'll post a few progress pics in the morning.