Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Swapped engines but ECU's are diffrent {$$}

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 01:28 PM
andrew363601

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Swapped engines but ECU's are diffrent {$$}

If you like solving a rubix cube you'll like to hear about this problem.
So my cars been out on jacks for a while now and i finally had the time to work on this car. My auto 2005 350z motor had blown up {not literally but surely}, i cracked a head and broke a rod which caused the engine to knock bad & coolant to get into the oil. So i went out and bought a used engine from a standard 2005 350z, 80k miles, oil smelled good and tires had air whats not to like? So in the process of swapping the 2 i removed the part in the back of my old engine and swapped it to the new engine so that goes into the crank and connect to the tranny so it can work with my auto Z. Since the engine i pulled out was standard & the wire harness was already attached and in place i figured it save me tons of time to swap it as is. When it came to connecting the transmission sensors i totally forgot that this engine was standard and obviously didn't have that sensor on the wire harness. I gave it a shot and turned it on it didnt even crank, switched out the wire harness from my old engine and it cranked but never started, instead smoke came from the hood and i took a 2nd look and saw that it burnt out my starter. i got that rebuild and slapped it back on the next day still didn't start. Now it hit me that i might have burned out the ECU while swapping the engine, turns out the ECU was fried and so was about $900 too. IM talking to one of the guys from the stealership and he overhears me talking to my mechanic as i was explaining him what was going on. So he tells me to give him the vin number from the car i pulled the engine out of and the vin number from my car to make sure that they both used the same ECU's. Sadly they used 2 different ECU's. So even if i were to buy the ECU for manual engine and switched out the original wire harness, there would still be that one sensor to my tranny that wouldnt be connect. i wouldnt be able to tell if i was on PRND and the speedometer would go wacko. But the question is it possible to ever get this car running the right way with out having to buy another motor so the ECU can be compatible? And if so, please explain such ways. If you have any questions about some information please feel free to ask. Thank you and God bless you if you find a way.
Old 03-17-2015, 10:13 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,314 Likes on 1,666 Posts

Moved out of the 370Z section, hopefully you can get some advice here.

Can you post a pic of the front of the motor you swapped on, just want to make sure you didn't get an 05 Rev Up