Notices
G35/G37 General discussion and news for Infiniti's G or for full Forums check out MyG37.com or G35Driver.com

Ok, now I'm excited! (from 6mt.net)

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2004, 07:24 AM
Vanos_Villain

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ok, now I'm excited! (from 6mt.net)

I spoke to a contact at Toda Racing due to an initial inquiry about cams for our cars. He said that they abandoned the cam program due to the fact that the price point would have been too high when compared to Nismo/Tomei (sp?)/HKS/JWT. However, he did say that as of next year (mid-year), Toda will be introducing an individual throttle body kit. He didn't have a price for me yet, but did say they are gaining approx. 40 HP from the upgrade. They are still prototyping the set-up, but they state that it is possible to get 400 naturally aspirated HP from the VQ35. This is such a great development, and I'm amped about this set-up. Looks like this is, yet, another item that I must penny pinch in other areas to save up for. Am I the only one excited over this? =)

Anybody have any experience w/ the Nismo/Tomei/HKS/JWT cams?
Old 11-23-2004, 09:20 AM
Madelinot

I'd have to see it to believe a 40hp upgrade just from a TB. No way... 5hp, maybe 10, even 15 or 20 but not 40hp.
Old 11-23-2004, 09:25 AM
Vanos_Villain

Originally posted by Madelinot
I'd have to see it to believe a 40hp upgrade just from a TB. No way... 5hp, maybe 10, even 15 or 20 but not 40hp.
Dude, it's individual throttle bodies, not an individual throttle body. If you had experience with individual's you wouldn't be making that comment. Do you understand how individual's work and why they increase so much power???

Last edited by Vanos_Villain; 11-23-2004 at 09:29 AM.
Old 11-23-2004, 09:57 AM
MY350Z.COM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Madelinot
Do a search on Google for individual throttle bodies. Then you'll understand that this can make 40+ HP.
Old 11-27-2004, 03:59 AM
roneski

Did you notice that their ITB kit for the NSX is $9000? And you are required to get an engine management system to use it, not included.
Old 11-27-2004, 09:23 AM
Vanos_Villain

Originally posted by roneski
Did you notice that their ITB kit for the NSX is $9000? And you are required to get an engine management system to use it, not included.
Yeah, but I think ours will be around 4k-5k. The HONDA ITB kits were averaging around 2k (when I was experimenting w/ them), so I assume ours will be in the middle in terms of pricing. The NSX is considered an exotic so.......ah well!
Old 11-27-2004, 09:28 AM
310_G35

Wow there goes your gas millage.
Old 11-27-2004, 01:09 PM
nuttyprof

hmm, wouldnt gas mileage increase such as when changing to an aftermarket intake?

and wow 4k? damn, is that really worth it?

and does it replace the whole intake system leaving just the trumpets inside?
Old 11-27-2004, 01:44 PM
Vanos_Villain

Originally posted by nuttyprof
hmm, wouldnt gas mileage increase such as when changing to an aftermarket intake?

and wow 4k? damn, is that really worth it?

and does it replace the whole intake system leaving just the trumpets inside?
Gas mileage would depend on driving habits, but the alterations to the ECU to compensate for the increased incoming air (balancing A/F ratios) would cause an increase in fuel consumption. As far as it being worth 4k, that would depend on what the individual outlines as worthy. Some basic turbo kits go for 5k, yet, you only see a 50 HP increase (low boost). It really just depends. I personally love ITB's, and they sound so sexy. The trumpets/throttle bodies would bolt directly to the cylinder head (3 on each side......no more single TB, no more intake, and I believe that would negate the need for the plenum on the Z. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong about the plenum.), and there would be a throttle cable for each side, fuel rails, etc. The set-up for ITB's is rather intricate. My previous E46 M3 (S54 motor) had individuals, but they were attached to an airbox. I could have attached horns (and the subsequent filters), but didn't want to pay for the additional set-up.

Here is essentially how each side would be set up:

Last edited by Vanos_Villain; 11-27-2004 at 01:53 PM.
Old 11-27-2004, 03:57 PM
nuttyprof

wouldnt that cause a lot of hot air injestion?

i cant wait to see what this does combined with the crawford 300 rwhp package minus the plenum. wow. 340 or so rwhp. thats crazy for NA.
or match that with the stroker kit. OMG1!!! im gonna have an accident in my pants.
Old 11-27-2004, 04:06 PM
shiva

Doesn't Tommy Kaira already make individual throttle bodies for the VQ35?
Old 11-27-2004, 07:40 PM
ZeroGen

ITBs, sexy.

As for whether or not it's worth the ~4 to 5k? Yeah, I think so if you're planning on going all out NA.
Old 11-29-2004, 10:17 AM
jmorriso

Don't know about anyone else, but I didn't buy a sports car to save on gas!

Thanks for sharing the news! Anticipation setting in....
Old 11-29-2004, 06:04 PM
booger

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes Tomi K. did make a set up like this . I think it was the 350z that crashed at 180 mph [ cant remember ]. It would [IMO] be to costly and I dont think the ECU can control them . It would need some other type of engine management system
Old 11-29-2004, 07:51 PM
nuttyprof

anyone have a link or a price for the Tommy Kaira one?

and i think Technosquare will be able to tune the ecu correctly. Ill probably do my work there anyways. They rock!
Old 11-30-2004, 02:53 PM
Cactus

Someone please explain to me how you can get 40 hp out of this mod! Would the trumpets be open or sealed in some type of airbox? Just thinking about adding this with a Borla gets me excited!
Old 11-30-2004, 03:08 PM
Vanos_Villain

Originally posted by Cactus
Someone please explain to me how you can get 40 hp out of this mod! Would the trumpets be open or sealed in some type of airbox? Just thinking about adding this with a Borla gets me excited!
ITB's would be the all-motor equivalent of forced induction (if that makes any sense). At the current time, we have one throttle body distributing air to 6 cylinders. In an ITB set-up, you have 1 throttle body for every cylinder which increases air flow, response, etc........resulting in big power. The only hassle w/ ITB's is the noise (not from the mechanical assembly of the TB's, but just from the motor itself), and the need to tune the ECU/AF ratios just right to avoid stalling. ITB's generally produce one hell of a wicked snarl. Once properly tuned, this set-up is madness, especially when paired with ported heads, a good set of cams/valvesprings, etc. etc. Maybe of the the mechanical guru's on this form can give you an in-depth breakdown. I'm familiar w/ ITB's because I had them on a previous B20 powered EK civic hatchback that I owned about 3 years back. Those ITB's made awesome power in my hatch.................a ***** to tune, but ran great!!!!

You can run open horns (track set up), or filtered horns. The filters are like socks that you slip over the horn. They keep debris and dirt from being sucked into the motor. I'm not sure if Toda's will be sealed in an airbox, but I would assume not. Most aftermarket ITB's don't come in an airbox setup.
Old 11-30-2004, 04:50 PM
Jax350z

Maybe we could just buy 3 pairs of socks...
Old 11-30-2004, 05:10 PM
Vanos_Villain

Originally posted by Jax350z
Maybe we could just buy 3 pairs of socks...
haahahhh!
Old 12-01-2004, 08:01 AM
Cactus

So how bad is the tuning part? Is it something that once it is tuned it stays tuned or it is all over the road all the time. Wonder if this mod would void the warranty? (heh heh). Is the 40 hp realistic? I know the claim on a Borla is 18 or so but realistically it is around 6 to 8 hp.

Quick Reply: Ok, now I'm excited! (from 6mt.net)