Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Installed kinetix v4 plenum... but.............

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2005, 08:17 PM
imalazeeass

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installed kinetix v4 plenum... but.............

I installed my kinetix v4 plenum and my friend happened to tighten one of the stock screws too tightly (the ones holding the plenum down) and the screw literally broke in half. The remaining screw is still inside the threaded hole and I cannot figure out a way to get it out. I cannot screw in with that bolt stuck inside!!! It seems to be air tight without that 1 screw and it runs perfectly fine, but I would still want some suggestions on how I would get that screw out. The only thing ive tried is drilling it through, but that doesnt seem to be working too well....
Old 01-02-2005, 08:51 PM
whoojong

You can get a screw extractor from home depot or autozone, it's basically a reverse threaded drill bit that takes the bolt out as you drill into it. Good luck.

Whoojong
Old 01-02-2005, 09:05 PM
imalazeeass

Wow I have never heard of such a tool. Thanks!
Old 01-02-2005, 09:27 PM
Bubble
-REPLICA ARMY-

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hehehe...i have same probem here..but with the engine cover part. Will check out that screw extractor. Thanks
Old 01-03-2005, 02:54 AM
ttsupra94

I was worried that something like that would happen with mine when i was installing this weekend since i didn't use a torque wrench. But as said in their directions i used a 1/4 drive ratchet with an extension and snug the bolts down "tight" using one hand and no problems.

The plenum does have an interesting sound to it though.
Old 01-03-2005, 07:08 AM
imalazeeass

Yea it scared the sh*t out of me cuz i thought the plenum cracked... but all is good... going to get the screw extractor today.. if that doesnt work, then I think i'm going to go cry in the corner!
Old 01-03-2005, 07:11 AM
Tony@Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

If the screw is sticking out at all, even just a little, just take some pliers to it, that should be able to grab it and you can just turn it out from there, hopefully. If not, that extractor is the best sollution. I would actually recomend that you check the plenum for cracks, because even if it seems like it's driving fine for now, you still may have a leak in the making. Chances are that if you tightened that bolt that much, something may have cracked since the plenum is plastic. Also, with the kinetix, due to it's flexing during driving, and reving, i would not drive too long without that bolt, because you will be stretching the plenum itself, and it can either leak or crack eventually around that area.
good luck
Old 01-03-2005, 09:44 AM
ChrisMCagle

Originally posted by Tony@Performance
If the screw is sticking out at all, even just a little, just take some pliers to it, that should be able to grab it and you can just turn it out from there, hopefully. If not, that extractor is the best sollution. I would actually recomend that you check the plenum for cracks, because even if it seems like it's driving fine for now, you still may have a leak in the making. Chances are that if you tightened that bolt that much, something may have cracked since the plenum is plastic. Also, with the kinetix, due to it's flexing during driving, and reving, i would not drive too long without that bolt, because you will be stretching the plenum itself, and it can either leak or crack eventually around that area.
good luck
Like Tony said, to get it out, just remove the other screws and then the plenum so that you have the threaded part of the scres sticking out then just grab ahold of it with a pair of vise grips or something and it will come right out. Easy.

-Chris
Old 01-03-2005, 12:50 PM
imalazeeass

Unfortunately none of it is sticking out so pliers would do me no good. I will be looking into the screw extractor sometime soon. I was told that the process is somewhat difficult? Anyone have had first hand experience in doing something like this?
Old 01-03-2005, 12:57 PM
eTraxx

Screw extractors: are available from Sears and hardware/tool supply stores . Extractors work by the fact that they turn the broken fastener in a counterclockwise direction to unscrew broken bolts and screws. Using a center punch mark and drill a hole down the center of the broken fastener. The extractor and hole size depend on fastener, a guide is usually provided with extractor. To extract fastener the extractor is inserted in the drill hole and turned counter clockwise using a wrench

You can also use a cape or diamond point chisel (depending on the size of the screw and of the chisel). The method is .. you place the chisel against the edge of the broken screw/bolt ... and tap the chisel in a counter-clock-wise direction to *walk* the screw/bolt out.

Last edited by eTraxx; 01-03-2005 at 01:17 PM.
Old 01-03-2005, 02:13 PM
Darthvol

Originally posted by imalazeeass
Unfortunately none of it is sticking out so pliers would do me no good. I will be looking into the screw extractor sometime soon. I was told that the process is somewhat difficult? Anyone have had first hand experience in doing something like this?
Yes, eTraxx told you all you need to know. Sounds more involved, and potentially damaging, than it really is. I think after you get that screw out though, you just oughta unscrew the whole Kinetix plenum and call Crawford for theirs!

Also, imalazeeass, you win my own personal award for funniest handle on the entire forum. I usually work in excess of 60hrs/wk and a rare few days off over the new year were marred by a two-day-long tire installation misadventure, but just seeing your handle made me ROTF&LMAO!!!!
Old 01-03-2005, 02:45 PM
eTraxx

Third method .. not really useful here but can work for larger bolts. Sometimes you get a bolt that is *really* stuck .. so much that the extractor will not work. You can drill through the center .. repeat that .. the **center** of the bolt .. and keep using larger and larger drills until you reach the tap drill diameter (root thread depth). Now at this point, the only part left of the bolt will be the threads which you can *pick out* using somthing like a scribe.
Old 01-04-2005, 05:55 PM
imalazeeass

How weird, I posted a reply and it didn't show up.. I hope i didn't reply to the wrong post :P If you see me talking about something random, let me know!

anyhow, good news! The screw extractor worked! I was amazed at how easy it was. It came right out. I also checked the plenum and no cracks what so ever. Kinetix seems to have lived up to their standards of not having the v4 crack. Props to them, and everyone here who has helped me.