Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Nismo sport catalytic converters

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2005, 03:10 PM
04ECSTAZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nismo sport catalytic converters

Does anyone have these??? How do they compare to the competition(Crawford, Random, Kinetix, etc)??? This site doesn't say anything about gains, anyone have any numbers from these??? Any help would be greatly appreciated...thanks.

CHECK EM OUT...

http://www.i-m-racing.com/nispcaco35.html
Old 01-20-2005, 04:04 PM
ZBoater

$1,200 for some cats? They better help me achieve orbit for that price...

Hey, dont get me wrong, I am a NISMO nut. All I have to say is THANK GOD they came up with those AFTER I upgraded to Kinetix high flows. (for around $300 I might add). Otherwise I would've been brand suckered here too...

Old 01-20-2005, 06:23 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

apples to oranges as the NISMO ones are metal
Old 01-20-2005, 06:35 PM
ZBoater

Originally posted by Z1 Performance
apples to oranges as the NISMO ones are metal
By the price I thought it was gold!!!

But seriously, can their possibly be that much of a performance difference between 2 cats? I mean, its not like one is a test pipe with no guts at all.

Im all for paying a premium for NISMO stuff, but even I have problems swallowing this one...

Old 01-20-2005, 07:21 PM
pimp1911

Dito that. Nismo really priced themselves out of the market for cats.
Old 01-20-2005, 07:38 PM
Z BOY

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

never heard of these before; are they new? you're prolly paying for the carb cert.
Old 01-20-2005, 11:47 PM
jreiter

Originally posted by Z BOY
never heard of these before; are they new? you're prolly paying for the carb cert.
Unfortunately, even with a CARB cert on cats, you still can't use them in a California car. You can't replace your cats for any reason at all unless your factory cats were destroyed somehow. Even then, I believe you are required to replace them with factory cats if they are available. The Carsound cores that Kinetix uses is also CARB certified, technically. Still can't legally install them in Cali.
Old 01-21-2005, 07:16 AM
Road Warrior

the crawfords are great....and they look stock and will pass both the smog visual and sniffer so that would be my recommendation if your worried about emissions. also, they provide great performance, fitment, and customer service. they are also not much louder than stock and have no raspiness.
Old 01-21-2005, 07:30 AM
kzshin

Unfortunately, even with a CARB cert on cats, you still can't use them in a California car. You can't replace your cats for any reason at all unless your factory cats were destroyed somehow. Even then, I believe you are required to replace them with factory cats if they are available. The Carsound cores that Kinetix uses is also CARB certified, technically. Still can't legally install them in Cali.

But CARB certified means California Air Resource Board Certified, and all emission law were acutally from CARB. I will assume it's more legal in CA than any other states.

Besides some NISMO part's counts as factory part.

Does anyone know is NISMO cat really legal in CA or not?? can any guys from Performance Nissan answer this question??
Old 01-21-2005, 07:33 AM
04ECSTAZ

I dont have any details of the Nismo cats, but this is the first time I've came across them and my Nismo catalogue here at work doesn't list anything on them, so they must be relatively new. I am also a sucker for brand name stuff(or Nismo stuff for that matter) but yes, $1200.00 is just a LEEETLE too steep for me.

Anyone that has any new details on these though, feel free to drop a line here, I'd like to hear some more info on em.

Also, I don't mean to butcher my own thread, but where are most of you guys going to get your Crawford cats? If I get the Crawford cats, I also wanna stick with the Crawford headers...who else has this set-up? I hate sacrificing quality for a few dollars, but the Nismo headers are pretty outrageous as well and I've heard just as good reviews with the Crawfords...what are your guys thoughts? by the way, my exhaust is stock and I plan on getting the HKS true-dual after headers and cats...also, Im in Ohio, so Im not worried about emissions checks and what not...
thanks ahead of time
Old 01-21-2005, 07:51 PM
Gruppe-S
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally posted by ZBoater
By the price I thought it was gold!!!

But seriously, can their possibly be that much of a performance difference between 2 cats? I mean, its not like one is a test pipe with no guts at all.

Im all for paying a premium for NISMO stuff, but even I have problems swallowing this one...

Being metal substrate cats, I believe there is a little bit of gold in them. And Platinum.

Cheers,

Gary
Gruppe-S
Old 01-21-2005, 11:23 PM
Z BOY

Originally posted by Gruppe-S
Being metal substrate cats, I believe there is a little bit of gold in them. And Platinum.

Cheers,

Gary
Gruppe-S
and i bet you sell 'em.
Old 01-22-2005, 01:51 AM
jreiter

Originally posted by kzshin
But CARB certified means California Air Resource Board Certified, and all emission law were acutally from CARB. I will assume it's more legal in CA than any other states.
Does anyone know is NISMO cat really legal in CA or not?? can any guys from Performance Nissan answer this question??
If the Nismo cats count as oem cats, then you could probably get away with them assuming your original cats got destroyed somehow. "Oops, I accidentally ran over a sledgehammer and it destroyed my cats." But that's only if they count as an oem replacement part. I'd be really interested to see if that's the case.
Old 01-22-2005, 05:19 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The NISMO cats are not CARB certified...they are a JDM NISMO part

the biggest difference between a metal cat and a ceramic is longevity, not performance
Old 01-22-2005, 08:56 AM
byebyeDSM

haha they cost more than an LSD.
Old 01-22-2005, 12:51 PM
BENJ-AMG
Banned

$1200?? You could get Crawford headers for that much. I have Crawford cats and can't imagine paying more than double for the Nismo's.
Old 01-22-2005, 06:16 PM
Landbarger

Don't mean to highjack the thread, but as long as we're talking about expensive cats, aren't the Power Enterprises cats within just a few dollars of the Nismo ones? Not that i'm interested in paying over a grand for either, but brand name junkies might be interested. I dunno.
Old 01-23-2005, 10:57 AM
Road Warrior

Originally posted by kzshin

california is in fact the worst for emissions because they have the highest standards. just because its CARB certified does not mean that its legal in cali to replace the cats. in fact, it is against the law in cali to change out your cats unless they are OEM and have the appropriate executive order registered by CARB. you could be subject to heavy fines if you are caught....but if they look stock and pass the smog visual and sniffer i think your ok. you could also change them out to stock when you go to smog if you are that worried about it...or have the right people do your smog
Old 01-23-2005, 11:09 AM
Lawn Dart

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm not from California, so maybe I don't understand. Who would even noticed that you changed them? Since they are functional cats, you should pass emission testing.
Old 01-24-2005, 04:38 PM
jreiter

Originally posted by Lawn Dart
I'm not from California, so maybe I don't understand. Who would even noticed that you changed them? Since they are functional cats, you should pass emission testing.
Yes, you'll pass the sniffer portion of the test where they measure the actual emissions. However, in California they also do a visual inspection of your powertrain to make sure you have all legal parts. The positive side to all this is that many of these aftermarket cats look relatively plain and stock, so it's possible that a car could pass the visual inspection simply because the inspector didn't know the cats were aftermarket (or didn't care).

Quick Reply: Nismo sport catalytic converters