Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Need ur input on rasp (everyone with CRAWFORD cats) be truthful!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2005, 05:22 PM
DIE DIE DIE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need ur input on rasp (everyone with CRAWFORD cats) be truthful!!

I'm very dissopointed with the Helix testpipes.. They pretty much sound like complete ****..those of you that have them and like them..I don't know how you deal with the sound.. I drive @ like 2.5 rpms everywhere so I don't make everyone laugh..

Heres the deal.. I am considering giving some hi-flow cats a shot instead of going back to stock, but I will not have ANY RASP! I've searched and read EVERY kinetix and crawford cat thread, and have found that although crawford are the least rasp prone, theres even a few people that are getting rasp with the crawfords!!! If I pay $500 for cats they better not sound like ****! (not even for the 3min warm up)!! I'm definately not even gonna risk the kinetix resonated, because although some say they don't rasp, there are a bunch who say they do..

So basically I'm asking everyone with CRAWFORDS to tell the complete truth about the cats...is there ANY RASP AT ALL??? Even if it's only for the warm up, I will not buy them..

BTW- the plenums are about = price and gains... they sound good right? I might just skip the cats and get a plenum if I don't get enough people telling me crawford cats are perfect...

thanks, please respond! ryan
Old 02-06-2005, 06:18 PM
ALL_MTR_GTS

Just food for thought, but kinetix has a testpipe with a built in resonator, http://www.kinetixracing.com/index.a...WPROD&ProdID=3
Old 02-06-2005, 06:27 PM
DIE DIE DIE

^thanks, but I don't trust the kinetix....<--many people say they still get the rasp even with kinetix resonated...

I need to be 100% sure that there will be no rasp at all, or I will just go back to stock cats...to be honest I didn't feel much of a gain withthe helix TP anyway.... also I ran my buddies stock SRT-4 before I installed the TP and got the same results with my recent SRT run in's with the TP..
Old 02-06-2005, 06:44 PM
zillinois

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have any exhaust besides the tp's?

I have the Labree resonated test pipes and a Ultimate Racing y-pipe and they have no rasp on stock muffler and b-pipe. Make sure that your test pipes are bolted down hard. When I first installed my Labree's there was a little rasp. I had them reinstalled with my replacement trans and they tightened them down with an air ratchet and I have had no rasp since then.
Old 02-06-2005, 07:15 PM
DIE DIE DIE

hmmm yeah mine are tight.. thanks for the input.. Anyone out there with crawfords!?!?!
Old 02-06-2005, 09:40 PM
BENJ-AMG
Banned

I've had Crawfords on for about a month now with zero rasp. In fact, my exhaust note sounds markedly better. Nice little power increase as well. I highly recommend em.
Old 02-06-2005, 11:59 PM
Z BOY

If you are that intolerant, stick with the stock cats, which have two resonators in each cat. I don't believe any of the other cats have two, but i could be wrong. Wanna buy my Kinetix v4 plenum?

Last edited by Z BOY; 02-07-2005 at 12:05 AM.
Old 02-07-2005, 07:05 AM
VandyZ

I will be honest. My cats had no rasp until I changed y-pipes. Now there is a faint rasp on mild to heavy acceleration through the mid range. Very faint though compared to the test pipes I have heard.
Old 02-07-2005, 08:09 AM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a buttload of NA mods including the crawford cats

no rasp

when I had the borla exhaust instead of the nismo exhaust, no rasp then too

Last edited by sentry65; 02-07-2005 at 08:17 AM.
Old 02-07-2005, 09:01 AM
hfm

Originally posted by zillinois
I have the Labree resonated test pipes
LaBree RTP with Borla TD has virtually no rasp. However, if you want absolutely, positively no rasp whatsoever, you better just stick with stock.
Old 02-07-2005, 11:31 AM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally posted by hfm
LaBree RTP with Borla TD has virtually no rasp. However, if you want absolutely, positively no rasp whatsoever, you better just stick with stock.
I have the labree RTP as well on a Greddy EVO2 exhaust and have just a slight touch of rasp, not noticeble unless you are specifically listening for it. I think the amount of rasp you have is more of issue depending on what exhaust you have. The Greddy has dual resonators and mufflers, so I think even if I ran straight, unresonated, test pipes that there would be amost no rasp.
Old 02-07-2005, 12:26 PM
DIE DIE DIE

wow thanks for the honesty guys.. I'm putting my stock cats on

zboy- will send you a PM
Old 02-07-2005, 12:36 PM
mcduck

So basically I'm asking everyone with CRAWFORDS to tell the complete truth about the cats...is there ANY RASP AT ALL??? Even if it's only for the warm up, I will not buy them..
Thanks for implying we would not be honest with you...

Seriously, tho... I've had the Crawfords since my first round of engine mods. I've never had any rasp or "tinny" sound at all. In fact, the Crawford Cats added a nice deep throaty sound to the engine.

I think it's safe to say, it will depend on your complete set up though. Different headers and exhaust are going to affect how your cats sound. Most people have been very happy with the Crawford/Borla combo. Good luck!
Old 02-07-2005, 01:07 PM
hfm

Originally posted by Zivman
I have the labree RTP as well on a Greddy EVO2 exhaust and have just a slight touch of rasp, not noticeble unless you are specifically listening for it. I think the amount of rasp you have is more of issue depending on what exhaust you have. The Greddy has dual resonators and mufflers, so I think even if I ran straight, unresonated, test pipes that there would be amost no rasp.
Just the faintest hint of rasp on wide open throttle with my set-up. But, on WOT, everything is a lot louder and it's not annoying or bad sounding at all. I agree, if your cat back has resonators as well, that will make a difference.

Whatever the case, I do recommend the LBMS testpipes with resonators for anyone interested.
Old 02-07-2005, 01:44 PM
sbcbaseball

I have crawford cast with stillen exhaust and it does sound good but i must admit that when u get on it and hit abt 5 grand or higher u do here a slight raspiness..Its not much but i can hear it.For everyday driving they should be fine.
Old 02-07-2005, 02:05 PM
Zivman

Originally posted by sbcbaseball
I have crawford cast with stillen exhaust and it does sound good but i must admit that when u get on it and hit abt 5 grand or higher u do here a slight raspiness..Its not much but i can hear it.For everyday driving they should be fine.
looking at the pics of the crawford cats, all they are are testpipes with magnaflow/carsound cats welded in. If you know anyone that has welding sklls, just buy a set of the appropriate size carsound High flow cats and weld them in. Those cats can be found for around $50 shipped each. I know plain testpipes can be found for around $100 so for $200, you have the same thing. Word of caution though if those really are the carsound HFC, I have eaten a couple of those carsound cats up on previous cars of mine. If you're willing to spend $500 on HFC from crawford, just get a set of Labree resonated pipes for $100-200 less (I don't know what they are going for now) and you'll be just as happy.
Old 02-07-2005, 02:34 PM
Zivman

Originally posted by Zivman
looking at the pics of the crawford cats, all they are are testpipes with magnaflow/carsound cats welded in. If you know anyone that has welding sklls, just buy a set of the appropriate size carsound High flow cats and weld them in. Those cats can be found for around $50 shipped each. I know plain testpipes can be found for around $100 so for $200, you have the same thing. Word of caution though if those really are the carsound HFC, I have eaten a couple of those carsound cats up on previous cars of mine. If you're willing to spend $500 on HFC from crawford, just get a set of Labree resonated pipes for $100-200 less (I don't know what they are going for now) and you'll be just as happy.
Pics of my Labree Resonated Testpipes:

And here's the full setup with topspeed headers ready to go back on the car:

Old 02-07-2005, 03:18 PM
ZIABLO
I am Batman

crawford cats, borla exhaust, nismo intake, kinetix plenum and i have rasp. kinda annoying...
Old 02-07-2005, 05:00 PM
uplz4588

u could just take ur helix pipes to a muffler shop and have them weld in a resonator....
Old 02-07-2005, 10:39 PM
fdao

I had NISMO Headers + Crawford CATS + JIC Y-Pipe + Japtrix B-Pipe + Stock Muffler. There was rasp while warming up.

Quick Reply: Need ur input on rasp (everyone with CRAWFORD cats) be truthful!!