Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Which exhaust system would *you* pick if...

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2005, 01:37 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Greddy is nice but is far too loud for my tastes. HKS is perfect IMHO
Old 03-13-2005, 01:53 PM
Losing Grip II

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
Greddy is nice but is far too loud for my tastes. HKS is perfect IMHO

the hks must be pretty quite then because when i head a z with those pipes it wasn;t nearly as loud as my car with the injen or my brothers with the nismo.

however, i could be wrong, maybe he didnt put the pedal to the metel.
BTW: i love how the HKS looks. if it werent so expensive id buy it now. you might have more experience than me on this but how do you rate the HKS TD to Injen's in sound, and performance?

john
Old 03-13-2005, 02:07 PM
abstrakt

Hmmm...I have the Injen SES Straight tip w/RT Cats and I love the exhaust note that I'm getting. Not loud and obnoxious at all...it's more of a deep tone. I wouldn't change it for any other setup.
Old 03-13-2005, 02:13 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

if there is anything you take from the discussion its that sound is a relative thing...in the ears of the beholder so to speak. We have a very good customer and a buddy of mine who has the Injen on his car (straight tip version), with stock cats.....for me, it's ridiculously loud when I have driven behind him (it vastly overpowers the system on my car which is Ultimate cats, Ultimate y pipe and Fujitsubo Ti catback). Many will say they love the sound, others will not...it is all completely subjective. I would not even bother to go by clips as they can be really deceiving. Try to attend a local meet...at this point, most will have a wide array of exhausts on their car.

Losing Grip - the HKS is a pretty mild sounding system in my opinion...yes it is louder than stock but not obnoxiously so. It is a bit deeper than stock and you can tell it is not a stock sounding system, but it is the nicest sounding true dual out, without exception, for the Z (again, my opinion). I think I am a bit older than many posting here and I am sure that has a lot to do with the wants/desires of the respective owners. We have done the Greddy on several cars (G's and Z's) - its WAY too loud for what I would want in a setup on a daily driven car....that being said, the owners loved the sound

Last edited by Z1 Performance; 03-13-2005 at 02:17 PM.
Old 03-14-2005, 05:06 PM
1991TT

Does no one like the Stillen? I've been browsing the market myself, and it seems to be one of the best buys seeing as how it "makes the most power" and sounds really nice.

The Greddy sounds nice, but I can't find any pictures of it besides the on taken from under the car. I'm not a fan of Foldger's Mufflers.
Old 03-14-2005, 08:14 PM
Losing Grip II

Originally Posted by 1991TT
Does no one like the Stillen? I've been browsing the market myself, and it seems to be one of the best buys seeing as how it "makes the most power" and sounds really nice.

The Greddy sounds nice, but I can't find any pictures of it besides the on taken from under the car. I'm not a fan of Foldger's Mufflers.
BUY STILLEN, I DARE YOU!

j/p, stillen is a good exhuast with gains similar to injen. i think borla is less even though i have seen posts where it is more, i just dont beleive it. (guess their headers spoiled me for good). anyhow aside from HKS or any other Truel Dual exhuast for that matter, the stillen is by far the heaviest. weighing more than the stock system!!! also, its price is unjustifiable when similar systems like injen and borla are almost half that of stillen. HKS is priced similar to stillen but looks waaaayy better and weigh less.

john
Old 03-15-2005, 06:38 AM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I have the greddy with resonated tests and it could easily be an everyday driver without any risk of the exhaust being too loud. That was the one thing I didn't want; an overly loud or droning exhaust. The greddy just sings IMO. I really want to hear the HKS in person now that I hear Z1's thoughts on it, but I live in MN. Not too many Z's around and not too many that want to venture into the $1300 price range for an exhaust setup no matter how good it looks or sounds.
Old 03-16-2005, 05:14 PM
1991TT

Originally Posted by Losing Grip II
BUY STILLEN, I DARE YOU!

j/p, stillen is a good exhuast with gains similar to injen. i think borla is less even though i have seen posts where it is more, i just dont beleive it. (guess their headers spoiled me for good). anyhow aside from HKS or any other Truel Dual exhuast for that matter, the stillen is by far the heaviest. weighing more than the stock system!!! also, its price is unjustifiable when similar systems like injen and borla are almost half that of stillen. HKS is priced similar to stillen but looks waaaayy better and weigh less.

john
The way I see it, you pay for quality. I'll pay more to not hear my exhaust bang on my suspension when I hit bumps. There is no doubt at all that the Stillen's quality is top notch; better than Injen, and waaaay better than Borla. Usually Stillen just rebadges other products and sells them as their own. But, when Stillen actually fabricates it's own product, know that quality is not compromised for cost. I previously owned a '91 TT (imagine that) and that car taught me the very, very important lesson to not cheap out on aftermarket parts. Many hours of R&D go into good, quality parts and materials and if you pay less, there is a reason.

Now, with that being said, it would be a cold day in Hell with the Devil giving out sleigh rides when I paid $3000 for a titanium exhaust system. I don't engage in any kind of activity that would justify spending that much money in order to save 10lbs.

So, if the Stillen system does actually weigh more than the stock system (which I'm not totally convinced that it does, at least part for part) then it's not really a big deal for me. Filling up your gas tank adds roughly 90lbs. (6lbs/gal*15gal www.csgnetwork.com/hiwayfuelconsumpgphcalc.html) At this rate of change, it's hard for me to see how 10lbs is really worth factoring. But since I'm bored and waiting for my next class to start, why don't we give it a whirl. In drag racing, they say that every 100lbs. will subtract 1/10 of a second from your E.T. So, for every 10lbs, you will save 1/100 of a second. The direction of the wind can influence that much or more. In circuit track racing, this 1/100 of a second weight advantage is multiplied exponentially as long as you are driving. Imaine two cars side by side on an imaginary road that never ends, driving at full throttle under the EXACT same enviromental conditions. The car weighing 10lbs. less will ever so slowly but ever so surely pull farther and farther away from the "heavy" car. But, how often is this the case in the real world?

I'm not here to say that weight reduction is fruitless. If it were, the Xanavi Z would still be wearing stock body panels. It's just that 10lbs. is not enough to keep me from buying an amazingly well crafted and proven product.

Oh, almost forgot. The HKS system I think you are referring to costs almost 50% more than the Stillen system and isn't even a true dual set-up. HKS's true dual system costs almost twice as much as the Stillen one.
Old 03-16-2005, 06:47 PM
350zluvr

Great post 1991TT! I completely agree with everything that you stated.
Old 03-16-2005, 07:00 PM
Losing Grip II

Originally Posted by 350zluvr
dam i wish i bought Stealin i mean Stillen.

nice exhuast. great power. ugly price. i love my injen. now if only they still made the angled one.

john
Old 03-17-2005, 06:41 PM
1991TT

Originally Posted by 350zluvr
Thanks. I was afraid of comming off as a jerk, but that really wasn't my intention.

By the way, I have yet to decide on a system. I'm not being sponsered by Stillen. I promise.
Old 03-17-2005, 06:51 PM
1991TT

Originally Posted by Losing Grip II
...now if only they still made the angled one.

Could you help clarify that for me? Which system uses the mufflers with the rolled lip? Uggh.

Which is this, the "straight tip" I suppose?
http://www.eautoworks.com/productimages/SES350Z2.jpg

Does anyone have an opinion of the Blitz system?
Old 03-17-2005, 06:55 PM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Coming from someone who LOVES domestic V8 sounds, i'll tell you what sounds the deepest out of all exhausts...

APS
Stillen
Borla
Magnaflow

That's it, not in any order, those are the only one's that are deep, the rest are rice which you do not want. The Borla, Stillen, and APS are true dual. So take your pick from those.

I'm wondering what a dual custom 3" mandrel bent piping HKS carbon Ti mufflers would sound like....

Sounds similar to stock? Nismo, definitely. I've heard tons of people say it amplifies the stock Z exhaust pitch perfectly.
Old 03-17-2005, 07:09 PM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by nis350ztt
Coming from someone who LOVES domestic V8 sounds, i'll tell you what sounds the deepest out of all exhausts...

APS
Stillen
Borla
Magnaflow

That's it, not in any order, those are the only one's that are deep, the rest are rice which you do not want. The Borla, Stillen, and APS are true dual. So take your pick from those.

I'm wondering what a dual custom 3" mandrel bent piping HKS carbon Ti mufflers would sound like....

Sounds similar to stock? Nismo, definitely. I've heard tons of people say it amplifies the stock Z exhaust pitch perfectly.
My greddy is definitely deep. Just ask anyone that gets the pleasure of hearing my car.
Old 03-17-2005, 07:10 PM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Zivman
My greddy is definitely deep. Just ask anyone that gets the pleasure of hearing my car.
I don't think i've ever heard the GReddy Evo 2.