Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

stillen air box

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2005, 03:35 PM
Zquicksilver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Exactly... but I don't think he's going to understand

I'm assuming he's already wrecked his tranny trying to learn stick...ok, that's just mean and I'm not that kind of guy. I'm done with the responses.

I drive the hell out of my 04 Z and I don't have any problems either...17k and counting!

Last edited by Zquicksilver; 03-22-2005 at 03:38 PM.
Old 03-22-2005, 03:47 PM
Road Warrior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i saw it for 199 on stillen's site....i am really considering getting this but i would like to see the box in more detail first. i may give stillen a call to answer my questions and get some pics of the inside and of the filter.
Old 03-22-2005, 04:19 PM
xephiron

I just don't see a reason to get bashed for giving my opinion. Age and maturity show their true colors I guess at any time. I just don't see why somebody would have a modded intake system yet say another is apparantly stupid for changing the stock air box, 500 engineers, etc... But to each his/her own opinion. I am happy with my gains, the $120 part is a bonus. Be interesting to see some 1/4 eta/traps for the other designs.

Happy modding.
Old 03-22-2005, 04:26 PM
xephiron

Originally Posted by Road Warrior
for 30k i'd say those engineers did a great job given the price of the car and what you get for your money.

sure, it has flaws but the z is one of 05's consumer reports magazine's best buys...and customer satisfaction had the highest rating

i think most of those problems you mention were with 03 and early 04 models. btw, i don't have feathering or tranny problems and i have an 04 with about 8k on it so far.

nothing wrong with the stock upper plenum either, don't see any tsb's on that one
I totally agree, that is why I bought my 350z. Great car, nice deal price vs. performance, etc. I never said it should be flawless, I have never owned a car that didn't get warranty work done. Who has really?

The upper plenum isn't "bad" just 30% less air gets to the front cylinders than the rear due to a very sharp slant (decrease) in volume up front. just FYI if you hadn't been aware of that. No problems, just performance robbing. Maybe Nissan had some good reason like emissions, space, "looks" whatever for making it that way, who knows.
Old 03-22-2005, 04:42 PM
Zquicksilver

Ok, one more response to tie loose ends

Sorry for starting the debate, you are entitled to your opinion. I see you do understand with your last comment. And I now realize your views are more analytical than I thought, with some of your comments in other threads. I am not saying the OEM box is bad, or the JWT is bad, or any other CAI is bad. I just tried to increase airflow efficiency to the conical filter with my design. 4k later, so far so good

peace...
Old 03-22-2005, 05:34 PM
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by xephiron
The upper plenum isn't "bad" just 30% less air gets to the front cylinders than the rear due to a very sharp slant (decrease) in volume up front. just FYI if you hadn't been aware of that. No problems, just performance robbing. Maybe Nissan had some good reason like emissions, space, "looks" whatever for making it that way, who knows.
i bought the aam spacer when they had the group buy...but i have only one run in the car since the install this last weekend. my first impressions are that this spacer produces very noticable gains...much more so than my dc sports headers that i installed two weeks ago.

the dc headers improved low and mid range power whereas the spacer pulls noticably harder now throughout the whole powerband. again, i didn't really get a chance to check it out thoroughly....but will let you guys know when i take the car out and run it hard.

my intentions are gather more info on the stillen box...i prefer the airbox design over short rams and cai's. the stillen box appears to be a good product, but want to see more detailed pics of the inside and filter before i buy. stillen claims 5 hp and 4 lbs torque....that is more than satisfactory for an intake on this car.

no independent dynos to back it up and only one person on the board has this box, or has responded to this thread claiming that they have it. i am in no hurry so i will wait and see what happens and get my questions answered first.

350evo is supposed to be coming out with something too.....and they make some nice products. i saw a thread where they will be doing a plenum and intake package and they are currently in the development stages.

anyways, with our without the stillen airbox i will be gettting a technosquare reflash. i may go down there so they can dyno tune for my application.

the modding never ends....i still need rims/tires too

rw....out
Old 03-23-2005, 01:40 PM
Road Warrior

called up stillen today, and the air is pulled from the front inlet just like the stock. the filter is conicle shaped and made by K&N, according to stillen's sales person.

unfortunately, they were pretty firm on their price of $199 so i have decided to wait and see what else comes out.

competition always seems to bring prices down and i would like to see what 350evo comes out with before i buy an intake.

i think i am going to put that money towards a reflash in the meantime
Old 04-10-2005, 06:19 PM
VinUnleaded

Zquicksilver, when I click on your pic of the intake it goes to a **** site.
Old 04-11-2005, 01:36 PM
Zquicksilver

Originally Posted by VinUnleaded
Zquicksilver, when I click on your pic of the intake it goes to a **** site.
Very funny... What kind of **** site? Big-tube-sucker.com

If your being serious...then I don't know what the deal is with your computer. Mine goes right to imagevenue.com and my pic.

Zquicksilver

ps put my AAM spacer on yesterday, combined with the CAI...wholly crap! makes a meaner growl and something definitely has changed with the acceleration in 1,2 and 3 gear! got on it today after driving it from st.louis to chicago this morning...figured 300mi was a good break in.
Old 04-11-2005, 02:51 PM
VinUnleaded

LOL! Zquicksilver, I seem to be going your route....you convinced me on the spacer and the grounding kit.
What size spacer?
Also, you didnt change the plenum correct?
Was it hard to install?
Here is what the "properties" are of your image for me:
http://img4.imagevenue.com/img.php?l...POPCHARGER.jpg
Seems correct...not sure why ti brings up a funky page with various links.