Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

stillen air box

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2005, 07:58 AM
Road Warrior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stillen air box

this looks like a nice product....gains are not that much but decent and i like the airbox vs the cold air for performance.

the reason i am asking about this product is that i have not heard of anyone that has it yet...and its been out a while. its also cheaper than say the gruppe s....which is nice too but a bit pricey for me....the rest of the cold air products don't interest me

i am interested to see what the feedback on this is....i have heard negative and positive feedback on stillen parts so this could go either way
Old 03-16-2005, 02:24 PM
Zquicksilver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Road Warrior,

I too am not a huge fan of the CAI. IMO, the Stillen air box looks pretty good. The price wasn't bad either...$189 on hopupracing.com. I don't know what the filter looks like, but Stillen makes great products. The K&N filter looks similar, but I don't think it creates a tight seal in the engine bay like the Stillen. And if that small ram air tube ever gets clogged with anything, like leaves or derbi...choke, choke. The BLITZ intake looks pretty good too, but it's expensive like the GRUPPE. Before I saw some of these and being a person who likes to tinker, I thought I would make my own... it's my version of the BLITZ or GRUPPE...don't laugh At least I can see if my filters dirty or not...

Old 03-16-2005, 04:59 PM
Netko350Z

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

whoaaaa now that's different
Old 03-17-2005, 06:47 AM
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Zquicksilver
Hey Road Warrior,

I too am not a huge fan of the CAI. IMO, the Stillen air box looks pretty good. The price wasn't bad either...$189 on hopupracing.com. I don't know what the filter looks like, but Stillen makes great products. The K&N filter looks similar, but I don't think it creates a tight seal in the engine bay like the Stillen. And if that small ram air tube ever gets clogged with anything, like leaves or derbi...choke, choke. The BLITZ intake looks pretty good too, but it's expensive like the GRUPPE. Before I saw some of these and being a person who likes to tinker, I thought I would make my own... it's my version of the BLITZ or GRUPPE...don't laugh At least I can see if my filters dirty or not...

[IMG]http://img4.imagevenue.com/loc106/th_3ce_HOMEGROWN_POPCHARGER.jpg
[/IMG]
not laughing cuz i too like innovation, i have my own version of a modified cai/airbox combo. i will try to snap some pics when i get a chance. i ran a 3" tube from the intake inlet piece (which i had sealed and welded a round 3" hole in the front of that piece for my cai tubing) and then ran my cai tubing down towards the bottom of the bumper to pull colder air. i then made my own diffuser to direct the air towards the inlet tube.

the stillen looks like it has increased size and volume over the stock....and i bet you could have a custom k&n filter made for it....i also wonder where its pulling the air from

as far as the sealing of the stock air filter...well k&n makes a product just for that....kind of looks like vaseline and i put that on and it creates a seal where the filter and airbox meet together.

i can't really tell whether or not i have increased power....but to me the airbox style gives you better power throughout the powerband.

i have had short rams and cai's before and didn't care for either although they increase performance but only in one area of the powerband.

i don't know on this car which is best so i have just stuck with the stock airbox...and now stillen has an airbox that has larger volume. i would like to see the inside of the stillen....as the stock has too many fins and such inside which i think does not give a smooth air flow.
Old 03-17-2005, 09:03 AM
Zquicksilver

Definitely take some pics...I would like to see what it looks like.

I too was going to run some piping down into the bumber but decided it would be too much like the INJEN, a long straw. So I just created two deflectors (the tan color piece) to bring in the air at the stock position and (the black piece) to cut off air movement around the latch. I don't think temperature difference will be much different 15 inches more into the grill. I removed the OEM cowl and created my own to feed the new filter and create a better seal at the bottom of the clear container. It was too small and restrictive, imo. The custom cowl is anchored & sealed to another "portion" of a clear container. The front of the main container fits into the fixed piece similar to when your stacking plastic containers, a tight seal at the bottom. Overall, I'm very pleased...

When I get on it, it feels like I don't have a filter at all! The engine revs very quick and the engine sound a lot more throaty...

Last edited by Zquicksilver; 03-17-2005 at 09:14 AM.
Old 03-17-2005, 11:58 AM
Road Warrior

ive got that air walker front bumper so it actually has more of an opening in the front.....thus you would assume more air coming in...at least i hope.

its pretty cool though to try your own stuff and tinker around with things as i do all the time with the intake

i have bought and messed around with several stock airboxes....they split apart easily as this is a two piece box and the pieces can be welded together. i found this out by having some custom work done on the inlet tube. i want to find a way to smooth the inside for better air flow. if i could see the inside of the stillen i would be curious to see if its smooth, or does it have fins and how does it direct air flow to the inlet tube (between the airbox and throttle body).

if there was a way to reduce heat soak on the plenum i think that would help too....like an aam spacer but made of teflon. hondata made a spacer for the throttle body and intake....and reduced temps that way also. that plenum gets awefully hot....and has to affect incoming air. i wonder if the kinetix plenum gets hot since it is made of plastic???
Old 03-18-2005, 08:36 AM
lafdclass002

I have a stillen air box (what kind of info are you looking for?). The inside if the stillen box is smooth. The componets are simply the box and air filter. I would say that the box design is primarily for heat shielding rather than directing air.
I use the JWT pop charger with the stillen box. The filter that came with the stillen set-up is almost identical to the JWT. The only difference is that the JWT has the ability to intake air directly from the top. The JWT filter appeared to be a better design since the top of the filter points directily towards the source of incoming air. The stillen filter has a "cap" on the top of its filter (more restrictive?).
I wanted the stillen box for two reasons:
1. It seems to serve as a better heat shield (JWT shield does not encapsulate the filter).
2. It acts as a sound barrier. If you want the aggressive roar created by your air filter don't get the box. Personally, I missed the sound of my Stillen exhaust which would be drowned out at WOT by the exposed JWT filter.

Last edited by lafdclass002; 03-18-2005 at 08:41 AM.
Old 03-18-2005, 09:35 AM
Zquicksilver

That's why my filter isn't as loud as others...duh. I was hearing everybody talk about whistling and loud noises, and I was just hearing the engine growl a little more. Makes sense

I didn't realize you could use the JWT filter and Stillen setup in conjuction...very, very nice It's definitely the way to go, IMO.
Old 03-18-2005, 11:06 AM
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by lafdclass002
I have a stillen air box (what kind of info are you looking for?). The inside if the stillen box is smooth. The componets are simply the box and air filter. I would say that the box design is primarily for heat shielding rather than directing air.
I use the JWT pop charger with the stillen box. The filter that came with the stillen set-up is almost identical to the JWT. The only difference is that the JWT has the ability to intake air directly from the top. The JWT filter appeared to be a better design since the top of the filter points directily towards the source of incoming air. The stillen filter has a "cap" on the top of its filter (more restrictive?).
I wanted the stillen box for two reasons:
1. It seems to serve as a better heat shield (JWT shield does not encapsulate the filter).
2. It acts as a sound barrier. If you want the aggressive roar created by your air filter don't get the box. Personally, I missed the sound of my Stillen exhaust which would be drowned out at WOT by the exposed JWT filter.
would you mind taking some detailed pics of your stillen airbox...so it uses a cone filter but where is the opening to draw in the air? thanks
Old 03-22-2005, 07:12 AM
xephiron

It is my opinion that fully enclosing a conical filter inside a box is more negative than positive. For one, heat comes from the engine, not the quarter panel. Also, you can get a little extra air in from underneath a JWT cone, not just having to rely on what passes through the air duct. Finally, while a box may help keep hot air out, it also may help to keep hot air in. I like the stock JWT setup because it blocks heat from the engine, and lets extra air both in and out of the filter cone's area (the flow is good for keeping air cooler). If you just want muffled sound then enjoy the box. I wouldn't consider it and it's weight a performance mod.
Old 03-22-2005, 01:16 PM
Zquicksilver

Originally Posted by xephiron
I like the stock JWT setup because it blocks heat from the engine, and lets extra air both in and out of the filter cone's area (the flow is good for keeping air cooler).

xephiron,

Are you serious...? Think about what you just said, actually just look up.

Your metal JWT shield heats up real nice and hot, besides letting hot air in all around the corner of the engine bay. This enables your conical cone to suck in probably about 30% hot air. It is the exact reason why you should enclose the filter 100% from the engine bay and let in only external cold air. Are you saying you’re smarter than 500 Japanese engineers who probably over saw the design of the OEM box? Now maybe other CAI designs don’t work as well as mine and I’m not trying to say mine is the best, but it’s why I designed it. With a larger cowl and deflector porting semi cold air in thru the grill area only 15 inches away and directing that cold air into a sealed/ smooth “plastic” chamber with roughly 1-2" of clearance all around the conical filter, it is my opinion that a shield doesn’t cut it. Do you realize how much cold air is constantly rushing into that chamber, trust me, you won’t have dead hot air sitting in there. Put your hand across the cowl…mine is like a vacuum cleaner And my clear bin is about 75% lighter than the OEM box, so that’s not even a factor.

Zquicksilver

Last edited by Zquicksilver; 03-22-2005 at 01:46 PM.
Old 03-22-2005, 01:28 PM
HankVQ

Hey guys I have the JWT pop charger and I have not been running it in the winter because My hood has vents that would let rain pour directly on the filter. Would the Stillen box solve this issue?
Old 03-22-2005, 01:44 PM
Zquicksilver

Originally Posted by HankVQ
Hey guys I have the JWT pop charger and I have not been running it in the winter because My hood has vents that would let rain pour directly on the filter. Would the Stillen box solve this issue?

Definitely
Old 03-22-2005, 02:06 PM
Road Warrior

does anyone know where the stillen airbox is pulling its air from?

how bout some detailed pics of the filter, inside of the box, and the inlet....thanks in advance if anyone can come up with these pics

can't tell much by their pic
Attached Thumbnails stillen air box-stillen.jpg  
Old 03-22-2005, 02:16 PM
Zquicksilver

I would guess it's designed to work with the OEM cowl. Probably a nice tight seal similar to the OEM box. The soft spongy seal around the outside edge of the cowl probably fits within the opening of the Stillen box. I highly doubt Stillen would expect it's customer to create a custom cowl like I did...

If you look at the pic real close you can see that the OEM cowl is still in place.
Old 03-22-2005, 02:24 PM
HankVQ

Definitely
Thanks bro! I will definately be going this route then. I was looking at the Gruppe-s, it's a nice piece for sure but I can't justify spending that kind of cash on an intake.
Old 03-22-2005, 02:55 PM
xephiron

xephiron,

Are you serious...? Think about what you just said, actually just look up.

Your metal JWT shield heats up real nice and hot, besides letting hot air in all around the corner of the engine bay. This enables your conical cone to suck in probably about 30% hot air. It is the exact reason why you should enclose the filter 100% from the engine bay and let in only external cold air. Are you saying you’re smarter than 500 Japanese engineers who probably over saw the design of the OEM box? Now maybe other CAI designs don’t work as well as mine and I’m not trying to say mine is the best, but it’s why I designed it. With a larger cowl and deflector porting semi cold air in thru the grill area only 15 inches away and directing that cold air into a sealed/ smooth “plastic” chamber with roughly 1-2" of clearance all around the conical filter, it is my opinion that a shield doesn’t cut it. Do you realize how much cold air is constantly rushing into that chamber, trust me, you won’t have dead hot air sitting in there. Put your hand across the cowl…mine is like a vacuum cleaner And my clear bin is about 75% lighter than the OEM box, so that’s not even a factor.

Zquicksilver
You mean those same 500 engineers who designed the stock upper intake plenum? And put a tranny in our car that lasts 3000 miles? I wouldn't trust them to dust my coffee table. That is why we have aftermarket parts, to upgrade. Nice tire feathering too, wonder how many hours they put into that design. I heard there is a space shuttle landing on the Sun tomorrow, you can see it if you stand outside on top of your mailbox and look due east 3 hours before sunset. Honest, that is what I was told.
Old 03-22-2005, 03:18 PM
Zquicksilver

Really, a space shuttle on the Sun Couldn't you come up with a better rebuttal than that?

You still don't get it...your obviously not looking at the bigger picture, especially through my eyes. There are problems that occurred with our Z. Not really the engineers fault, but more like Nissan as a company. It's really to complicated to explain to you. And no, I’m not an engineer.

Building a car for a company with ZERO problems is a feet you will ever understand. I say this because of the simple comments that you make.

Zquicksilver
Old 03-22-2005, 03:27 PM
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by xephiron
You mean those same 500 engineers who designed the stock upper intake plenum? And put a tranny in our car that lasts 3000 miles? I wouldn't trust them to dust my coffee table. That is why we have aftermarket parts, to upgrade. Nice tire feathering too, wonder how many hours they put into that design. I heard there is a space shuttle landing on the Sun tomorrow, you can see it if you stand outside on top of your mailbox and look due east 3 hours before sunset. Honest, that is what I was told.
for 30k i'd say those engineers did a great job given the price of the car and what you get for your money.

sure, it has flaws but the z is one of 05's consumer reports magazine's best buys...and customer satisfaction had the highest rating

i think most of those problems you mention were with 03 and early 04 models. btw, i don't have feathering or tranny problems and i have an 04 with about 8k on it so far.

nothing wrong with the stock upper plenum either, don't see any tsb's on that one
Old 03-22-2005, 03:33 PM
ppw350Zunit

how much is the stillen air box?

Quick Reply: stillen air box