Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Alphawerks Headers and Next?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2005, 11:01 PM
AZN-LVR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alphawerks Headers and Next?

I have a non-modified 350z roadster. I have the Alphawerks headers and am wondering what other suggested pieces i need to complete an entire exhaust system change that would fit starting with the headers. Thanx for your suggestions
Old 03-29-2005, 06:05 AM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by AZN-LVR
I have a non-modified 350z roadster. I have the Alphawerks headers and am wondering what other suggested pieces i need to complete an entire exhaust system change that would fit starting with the headers. Thanx for your suggestions

Resonated test pipes and the exhaust of your choice. I like the greddy evo2 and the HKS exhausts.
Old 03-29-2005, 07:13 AM
Nexusindustry

It depends on what your goals are with the exhaust system and the car in general. Do you want all out horsepower from the exhaust and are willing to sacrifice a little bit of exhaust note? If so then the best upgrade you can make are a set of straight through test pipes to eliminate a total of 4 catalitic converters on the car that are replaced by the test pipes. This is probably the best pound per pound upgrade on the 350z. Just make sure the pipes are true stainless steel like t-304 to ensure that they will not rust or flake chrome if they are chrome plated. There is nothing more annoying than a piece of rust or flake in your exhaust it gives the car a ricer rasp like nothing else.

Victor D.
Nexus Industry
Old 03-29-2005, 03:02 PM
xephiron

Stillen test pipes w/ exhaust scavenging, but they aren't resonated... however with the HKS exhaust the resonators are huge and I don't think it will be a problem. Not 100% sure if that all matches up perfect though (inlet and outlet sizes). I am considering this setup, but haven't decided on which headers yet. No hurries
Old 03-29-2005, 06:37 PM
Nexusindustry

Originally Posted by xephiron
Stillen test pipes w/ exhaust scavenging, but they aren't resonated... however with the HKS exhaust the resonators are huge and I don't think it will be a problem. Not 100% sure if that all matches up perfect though (inlet and outlet sizes). I am considering this setup, but haven't decided on which headers yet. No hurries
I am not on this post to recommend a particular product, but if your concerns are to assure that the inlet and outlet sizes align perfectly I can at least tell you that the Alphawerks headers and test pipes match-up perfectly at the joint of the header outlet and the test-pipe inlet. Just an FYI ...

But again do you research and make sure the parts make power with some actual dyno evidence to back them up. Besides that good luck with the car.

Victor D.
Old 03-29-2005, 09:02 PM
AZN-LVR

First, I have read threads in regards to test pipes vs hi-flow cat. I, however, could not find any info regarding the differnce in loudness between tp or hi-flow cat. I'm leaning towards TP but is the noise so loud during normal driving that it sounds like those rinky dink Mustangs or during cruising speeds, does the noise die down a little? Incase you feel the TP are too loud, do you happen to know of a hi-flow cat that fits a Alphawerks header?

Second, as for the exhaust, I like the twin barrel look from the stock. Is it better to move to a single or is there a comparable aftermarket exhaust that has the twin barrel look with good sound and hp?

Ultimately, I want a way louder baratone sound like the stock but a "non-annoying" sound during cruising!!

Thanx a bunch!!!

Last edited by AZN-LVR; 03-29-2005 at 09:43 PM.
Old 03-29-2005, 09:53 PM
ReavTek

Test Pipes will raise the noise level but, honestly, the key factor in noise is the exhaust. If you get a straight through N1 style exhaust like the Tanabe SMR or RS*R GT2 you will be loud no matter what and any additions to these kinds of exhaust will just raise the note even more. However, an exhaust like Fujitsubo Legalis R, Tanabe Hyper Medallion, or any exhaust that is 95db or below street legal rated will not be hugely affected by test pipes. You will get a slight bump up in noise but it would be not as noticable as compared to if you had a loud exhaust to begin with. I learned this the hard way as my current exhaust is rediculouly loud for daily driving (sounds nice as hell in short bursts though).

Also, depending on what exhaust you get, you will need a y-pipe. This is where alot of your gains will be coming from, not the mid-pipe or muffler. Again if you get a true dual exhaust you wont need this but I perfer the regular y-pipe setup. Fujitsubo, Tanabe, Gruppe-S, and JIC Magic all make performance y-pipes for the Z. To give you an idea here is what you are looking at:

Back to front end of car:

Muffler>Mid Pipe>Y-Pipe>Catalytic Converters>Headers

I would say Y-pipe, Test Pipes (or Hi-Flo Cats), and Headers are your main power gainers whereas the muffler and mid pipe are just sound.
Old 03-30-2005, 10:37 PM
AZN-LVR

Thanks for the post ReavTek!!

Another question, if I go with the Alphawerks headers and Alphawerks TP will the Fujitsubo Y-pipes fit with the TP?
Old 03-31-2005, 12:36 PM
Nexusindustry

Originally Posted by AZN-LVR
Thanks for the post ReavTek!!

Another question, if I go with the Alphawerks headers and Alphawerks TP will the Fujitsubo Y-pipes fit with the TP?
Hello,

If the Y-Pipe bolts onto the stock cats, then the Alphawerks Test Pipes will fit. The Alphawerks test pipes are the same length as the OEM pipes and flanges bolt perfectly on the stock positions. I hope this helps if any more questions just let me know.

FYI...here is the link to a video of a 350z with the Alphawerks Test Pipes for sound and dyno results if there are any questions on power or sound.

http://www.nexusindustry.com/dyno/350z_testpipes.htm

Regards,
Victor D.

Last edited by Nexusindustry; 03-31-2005 at 12:39 PM.