Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Engine Idle Issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2005, 04:11 PM
Angelustica

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Idle Issues

Alright guys and girls,
I am having an issue with my engine when its idling, like when I pull up to a stop light and sit there for a minute, my engine starts struggling to keep going, and dies(it usually lingers at 750 rpms per minute, then slowly to 500, and kills itself). It does this regardless of sitting in gear or being in nuetral, clutch pushed in or let out. I also noticed the oil starts loosing pressure if i am not going. I just put on the Injen true dual exhaust system, and this started happening the day after(today). Is there something I am missing on this? It appears to be related to the exhaust, but I dont see how. I just read Niz350tt's question about how exhaust works, and wondered if I have some issue with the flow, but i dont see how that would make the engine lose oil pressure and kill itself. any help would be appreciated, has this happened to anyone else?

Angelustica
Old 04-21-2005, 08:33 PM
g356gear

Reset the ecu and see if that makes a difference. This actually sounds like a MAF problem.
Old 04-21-2005, 09:04 PM
ReavTek

Yeah, I was gonna say its a MAF problem. Cause I had the same issue when I installed my intake. The MAF was backwards! :P Anyways, I adjusted it then reset my ECU and the car runs 100%.
Old 04-21-2005, 09:08 PM
ReavTek

Could also be an exhaust leak or a faulty O2 sensor perhaps... I would think its a leak, retighten down all the bolts.
Old 04-21-2005, 09:56 PM
Angelustica

First off, whats MAF(is it mapped air flow?)? my searches pulled up CAI related topics, but none really saying what this acronym means

Second, ReavTek you are saying my exhaust possibly leaking could cause my engine to idle too low, correct? boy its gonna suck getting down there to retighten those bolts, even though as tight as I tightened them I am hoping that the leaking is not the prob but it probably is. I am thinking I need to do is put exhaust gasket flanges that will fit exactly inbetween the piping on the two sections of my exhaust(stock ones are on between the cats and first pipe sections, ghetto rigged two auto zone ones on the spaces between the exhaust piping-if you have INJEN, you know there is the pipe section w/ resonator and second pipe w/ muffler and tip).

Tomorrow I will try the ECU reset to see if that fixes the prob, if not I will try to tighten the bolts and hope that works. Any more ideas for problems, please let me know. I dont understand why my oil pressure would also drop like it did when the engine was idling.
Old 04-22-2005, 10:35 AM
ReavTek

The MAF is a black thing that has a cable attached to it on your intake. On the stock intake it is right before the intake box. However, since you did not touch this (you had no need to) when installing your exhaust I doubt this is the problem. Did you use new gaskets when intalling the exhaust? If not, you should put in new gaskets. As for the oil pressure, when the car stalls the meters turn off so this is most likely what you are seeing.
Attached Thumbnails Engine Idle Issues-hks-intake-close.jpg  
Old 04-22-2005, 10:46 AM
Angelustica

lol, you were partially right on the MAF(thanks for explaining it by the way). I went to open my hood this morning, something i didnt do yesterday, and what did I see? My damn filter on my intake was laying on its side detached from its piping - . I had to get new clamps, I will put a pic of it on as it was pretty funny to see. Apparently it had gotten dislodged when I had my car jacked up putting on my exhaust.