Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Plenum... Crawford Cast vs. Kinetix V4 (review)

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2005, 08:32 PM
MyV6IsFast3r

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Plenum... Crawford Cast vs. Kinetix V4 (review)

Okay, here's the deal. I had the Kinetix V4 and decided to switch to the Crawford for a few reasons.... but im not so sure if it was the right switch.

*V4
+Plastic and stays cooler then Crawford
+The sound was amazing... I loved it.

-Plastic = weaker (crack easier)
-Didn't like the looks.
-Strut bar rubbed a little.

*Crawford Cast
+Cast... supposed to be better gains
+Strength
+Love the looks of the plenum and strut together

-It heats up like a *****
-It's so much quieter, almost sounds stock.

As for gains I have noticed on both im not really sure.... The kinetix plenum roared like crazy and I loved it, the Crawford is very quiet so im not sure about the gains, usually when something is loud like the Kinetix you would assume it makes more power, but that's not always true... Anyone else have anything to add.... I need to make this switch and added expense justified... HELP.
Old 05-13-2005, 08:38 PM
jkoc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i went from aam spacer to crawford cast within a couple weeks back to back.

the crawford cast felt much more significant than the spacer.. both spacer and crawford cast sounded equally quiet.
Old 05-13-2005, 10:34 PM
Z BOY

i'm just gonna post this dyno i did on my z during the z/g dyno day in huntington beach on 3/26/05. first 3 pulls were with crawford plenum, done about 1/2hr after driving 1.5hrs up from san diego. second 3 pulls were with motordyne 1/2" spacer after about 2 hours rest. i chose to display the best pull of each variable. what really impressed me was the area under the curve, not just up top. i'll leave the rest up to you. let the flaming begin.
ps: i have no affiliation with any vendor. i rec'd no compensation to do any of the pulls. i just did the comparison in the interest of science.
Attached Thumbnails Plenum... Crawford Cast vs. Kinetix V4 (review)-sae-corrected-dyno-3-26-05.jpg  

Last edited by Z BOY; 05-13-2005 at 10:50 PM.
Old 05-14-2005, 08:56 AM
MyV6IsFast3r

Im confused... What ones the green, and what ones the purple?
Old 05-14-2005, 12:09 PM
Z BOY

Originally Posted by MyV6IsFaster
Im confused... What ones the green, and what ones the purple?
darker line is run5, the motrdyne spacer. lighter line is run3 with the crawfrd plenum. does that help?

Last edited by Z BOY; 05-14-2005 at 12:12 PM.
Old 05-14-2005, 03:32 PM
sisco534

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow... now that looks like a big difference now let me ask you this do you think it is the design factor. Stock Plenum 1/2 added all the way around vs. AAM where it is only in the front where the front cylinders are starved the most. Then you have Crawfords who has a lot of memebers on board that claim they have the most gains. So is it Motordyne spacer or AAM spacer or Crawford or Kinetix (old version not the new polished lower and upper intake) whoa has the most hp gains?
Old 05-14-2005, 06:54 PM
Z BOY

i haven't seen any dyno showdowns btwn the different spacers, but i am inclined to believe the claim that the oem design was flawed is flawed itself. i believe there was a performance purpose to the design. i don't believe the plenum was designed that way just to accomodate the strut bar or whatever. i am not an engineer, but i have run just about every plenum/spacer out there, with the exception of aam. now, the aam is designed according to the belief that the front cylinders are air-starved, which i don't believe, but i could be completely wrong. its jmo based on my experience. i would love to see a spacer showdown. that would be really cool.
Old 05-14-2005, 07:52 PM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A shoot out would be great. This is the next bolt on I want. Ideally I'd want to see the testing done on a NA engine vice FI - though they benefit the most.

The V4 doesn't let the heat out of the engine - that's not always a good thing. I do like the comment on the sound ... that's part of the attraction to be sure. I know, are you going to race it or listen to it both?
Old 05-15-2005, 06:28 PM
MyV6IsFast3r

Wow, and I thought that the crawford was the best choice....

How bout this question. Can I use a spacer with my Crawford plenum, or would it hit the hood?
Old 05-15-2005, 06:31 PM
MyV6IsFast3r

Oh and one other thing..... Could I use the stock strut with the spacer?

And woudl the higher gains with the spacer be because the car is otherwise stock? Some setups work well together some dont. With an exhaust headers ect... would the numbers change as in the plenum setup gain more with more mods while the spacer gains the most by itself? Does anyone understand what im saying or am i just retarded?
Old 05-15-2005, 07:58 PM
Z BOY

with the motordyne spacer, i think only the 1/4" accomodates the stock strut bar.
i believe someone at the group pull did that: crawford plenum+spacer, and he showed an improvement over just the plenum. what size he used, i don't know. how well it fit under the hood, i don't know.
i had all the major breathing mods on my z when i did the comparison pulls.
Old 05-15-2005, 09:07 PM
MyV6IsFast3r

How much was the spacer...? I think I may try the Plenum and spacer... Hope it's not too much air..
Old 05-16-2005, 05:18 AM
Faluzure

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MyV6IsFaster
*Crawford Cast
+Cast... supposed to be better gains
+Strength
+Love the looks of the plenum and strut together

-It heats up like a *****
-It's so much quieter, almost sounds stock.

As for gains I have noticed on both im not really sure.... The kinetix plenum roared like crazy and I loved it, the Crawford is very quiet so im not sure about the gains, usually when something is loud like the Kinetix you would assume it makes more power, but that's not always true... Anyone else have anything to add.... I need to make this switch and added expense justified... HELP.
Are you serious? The Crawford cast stays so cool in my car. I never had a Kinetix, but compared to the stock plenum, it's stays pretty damn cold. I remember burning my arm on the stock plenum several times. With the Crawford one, even after a hard run, it stays warm at most.

The Crawford is very loud in my car, especially on WOT. My roommate who drives in the car with me even said so. Previously, all I had was the popcharger. You couldn't hear the engine very well with the windows up on WOT. After the Crawford, the engine roars like a ****. The sound is a deeper, hollow, metallic-echo sound. Much more aggressive when paired up with the popcharger. My brother says that my car sounds like a small block V-8.

Again, I never had a Kinetix but the Crawford is pretty damn loud at WOT. Other than that it sounds stock if you stay in the low RPM range.
Old 05-16-2005, 08:30 AM
MyV6IsFast3r

Maybe it's because I went from KX to Crawford without going back to stock. I don't remember what stock sounds like LOL. All I know is the Kinetix was louder, more deep, but like I said im comparing theose 2, not to stock, cause I have no idea what stock sounds like anymore.