Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Kinetix Plenum Melted Wtf!!!! Pics

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2005, 03:57 AM
crypten

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lowrider
From everything I've seen they do very little, if any, pre-introduction testing. Why do you think there was a V1, a V2, a V3, and finally a V4. Cutting Edge I don't think so
This is exactly the point of this thread, why?, how?, and will anything to be done to insure that it won't happen to others. All these questions will have to be answered by them, anything else is just speculation.
Old 05-31-2005, 05:26 AM
westpak
SFZCC

I would understand the questions on testing if this had just been out a month and it was melting but this plenum in one version or another has been out for over a year and has gone through a summer already where I am sure people have put it through similar conditions as described about traffic jams and also on the track and this is the first incident of one melting. So more than likely it is a manufacturing flaw in this one particular plenum which happens to every manufacturer no one has 0% defects.
Old 05-31-2005, 05:44 AM
Losing Grip II

kinetix's reliability and reputation continue to fall, i cant see why. my god, it seems everytime i hear of a plenum problem- kinetix is right there. from exploding to melting- two hours in traffic or two hours at idle shouldn't affect the structural intergrty of the plenum. but then again, plenums aren't suppose to implode/explode under excelleration. i only hope and pray that the new intake manifold from kinetix, that i ordered through the GB, is of better quality than this. this really worries me, but thats why i have very good lawyers. they will pay for their lack of attention or caring for the people who buy their products.

john
Old 05-31-2005, 06:19 AM
taurran

Originally Posted by Losing Grip II
kinetix's reliability and reputation continue to fall, i cant see why. my god, it seems everytime i hear of a plenum problem- kinetix is right there. from exploding to melting- two hours in traffic or two hours at idle shouldn't affect the structural intergrty of the plenum. but then again, plenums aren't suppose to implode/explode under excelleration. i only hope and pray that the new intake manifold from kinetix, that i ordered through the GB, is of better quality than this. this really worries me, but thats why i have very good lawyers. they will pay for their lack of attention or caring for the people who buy their products.

john

OMG HE HAS LAWYERS. YOU WILL ALL PAY.

God, this thread needs to die.
Old 05-31-2005, 06:23 AM
Losing Grip II

Originally Posted by taurran
OMG HE HAS LAWYERS. YOU WILL ALL PAY.

God, this thread needs to die.
your comment was funny ha ha...ha.

please spare me your useless comments. it wasn't a threat and your post doesn't help in the killing of the thread.

john
Old 05-31-2005, 07:19 AM
slaponte

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

kinetix's reliability and reputation continue to fall,
With some people I guess...

i cant see why. my god, it seems everytime i hear of a plenum problem- kinetix is right there.
I read 4 different 350Z forums, and pay special attention to Kinetix plenum posts since I wanted to buy and recently bought one. The only thing I have seen in reference to the V4 is a couple of FALSE reports of cracking.

I also read some people run them with FI (Super charged) and they worked fine.

from exploding to melting
I never heard one exploded and this is the very first time anybody reports one melting.

this really worries me, but thats why i have very good lawyers. they will pay for their lack of attention or caring for the people who buy their products. john
And if there is something everybody has agreed (or at least that I know off) is that they stand by their products and replace them if there is a problem. So your whole paragraph seems full of half impressions based on hearsay, which seems extremely usefull indeed.

Most people who are happy with the product they buy do not post. I would not post every week to let you all know my plenum is fine. It is human nature to complain. You have no idea of how many plenums are out there in perfect condition and how many are good vs defective.

But I tell you what, if you feel that ONE product failure (re the melting) shakes your confidence then you probably should sell the Kinetix IM from the group by and go get something else that makes you feel more comfortable. And then you know thqat if you ever feel the need to idle the car 3 hours everything will be ok, with the plenum at least.

As bad as the discussion might get, I think all sides might agree that bringing up vampires or lawyers was unnecesary.
Old 05-31-2005, 07:37 AM
Sundeviljay

I feel bad for this guy. I almost guarantee that he will never post here again
Old 05-31-2005, 08:06 AM
slaponte

You know, funny enough I think he should be fine, he stated what happened to him. I don't have a problem with that. Other jumping on one event to state what a bad company Kinetix might be or a POS item the plenum might be is what really gets my blood going. We just knee-jerk at any small thing.

Anyway, peace.
Old 05-31-2005, 10:41 AM
nismo33
BoNe SToCK BaSe

don't miind me i'm just subscribing. curious how kinetix will handle this.
Old 05-31-2005, 12:19 PM
copba1t

two hours in traffic or two hours at idle shouldn't affect the structural intergrty of the plenum. but then again, plenums aren't suppose to implode/explode under excelleration.
but then again, plenums aren't suppose to be made of plastic
Old 05-31-2005, 01:06 PM
nismo33
BoNe SToCK BaSe

not tru i believe the corvette has a composite intake. some b series manifolds are made of carbon fiber
Old 05-31-2005, 01:25 PM
seanrulz

Oh, come on. Everyone is flaming this guy for let his car idling for 2 hours. So what? Does that mean the car should puke and run away with its own legs? Or blow up?

Let's be realistic. Cars these days are NOT DESIGNED NOR SHOULD BE breaking down just because it was sitting idle for 2 hours. Ha, in US, where traffic isn't bad at all (except some cities, but they are not worse than what I used to experience in Korea), chance of sitting ldle for 2 hours might be really slim unless you intentionally do so. But other parts of the world, got stuck in the traffic where highway turns into the parking lot for 2 hours is a lot more common. And I'm yet to see the news of hundreds of cars breaking down on the road because they've been sitting idle for 3 hours.
My father's 10-year old beated up Hyundai Grandeur endured 26 hours of driving (well, actually, parking) from Seoul to Pusan in major new year holiday season in Korea where he's been sitting idle for hours, the car had absolutely no problem whatsoever. (Seoul-Pusan is about 270mile distance and it shouldn't take longer than 6 hours normally)

Major reason for his Kinetix Plastic Plenum melted might be due to 2 hours of sitting the car idling, but it is clear that it shouldn't be happening if the product was designed properly. (Durability as OEM parts)

Afterall, I just keep thinking that Kinetix's decision to make the plenum with plastic was not a very smart move. All the problems they had with plenums seems somewhat related to the plenum material- PLASTIC

Other than their plastic plenums, I love other Kinetix products and I personally have their camber/traction rods. They work perfect!

Last edited by seanrulz; 05-31-2005 at 01:33 PM.
Old 05-31-2005, 02:49 PM
vantage350z

THE OUTCOME
I have contacted Kinetix today and was very pleased with the customer support. They offered me a complete exchange for free. also they offered to ship same day (today). they would like to see my melted plenum, so i will be shipping it back to them in the box the new one comes in. "The reason for the meltdown could have been a result of a bad batch of material". I will find out more about this when i call them back. Overall I am happy about the way they handled this matter. Hope no one else has this same batch in thier car.
Old 05-31-2005, 03:01 PM
bwilliams

Vantage350Z,
Thankyou for keeping us all educated.
Old 05-31-2005, 03:01 PM
gringott

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Excellent! BTW, get some more photos first - the one you took is the greatest!
Old 05-31-2005, 03:03 PM
Sundeviljay

damn...luckily it did not completely guarantee.
Old 05-31-2005, 04:47 PM
vantage350z

More Pics

Old 05-31-2005, 06:41 PM
james840a

im glad they are sending you a new one, getting a bad batch of material can happen, look at the twin towers in Maylasa, they had a bad batch of concrete half way up the building. Lucky them it was just on one floor. They ended up ripping up the bad concrete.

Let us know what you find out when they receave your melted plenum.
Old 05-31-2005, 09:56 PM
lsdunique

wow, this thread got long FAST

I spoke with the customer earlier today, and I was just as surprised as most of you are.

The plenum should not have done that, even after idling for 2 hours.

We have done a lot of testing on the plenum in regards to heat, and we usually heat it up by letting the car sit at idle, often for a couple hours.

He will be sending it back to us so we can inspect it. This is the ONLY plenum I have ever heard of even changing in dimension due to heat!!

I would think it was a defect either in the postcuring of the plenum, or in the batch of material. Something in this plenum is unique, we have over 400 V4 plenums in circulation, and this is the only one to have suffered from heat damage.

I must say, I almost didnt believe it until he sent me the pictures and I was even then still shocked.

In any case, we arent perfect, but I assure you we will get to the bottom of this and come to some sort of conclusion.

I apologize if this has caused anyone buyer's remorse, but we always stand by our products regardless.

I didnt read all the threads, I read the first 2 pages and then this final page, so if there are questions that need to be answered, you can email me at jamisonl@msn.com
Old 06-01-2005, 01:45 AM
350ZYALATA
Tentill4z

Anyway this dude was just trying to inform us just take it as it is and shut your mouth cuz honestly nobody wants to hear from an old tired **** like you so shove it grandpa!

Quick Reply: Kinetix Plenum Melted Wtf!!!! Pics