Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Next Gear Gaskets...review and warning

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2005, 12:55 PM
Road Warrior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just wanted to mention to everyone that i have been in contact with ethan fisher of fisherspeed.com. he seems very knowledgable on the thermal gasket concept and has been very responsive to my emails.

now that he's settled in from moving he seems very eager to get back into business. shoot him an email sales@fisherspeed.com if you guys are looking for another company or solution to the thermal gaskets.

rw
Old 06-21-2005, 02:28 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

RW,

Yes, I finally got a response from Ethan today too. I'm glad to see he's still in business.

What a dilemma though. In my searches, I have discovered two other gaskets coming on to the market in the next couple of weeks. Once I have more info, I'll decide which one to go with.

Dave
Old 06-22-2005, 07:21 AM
Road Warrior

good luck with your decision

i will add that the fisherspeed gasket is thinner and therefore may provide a better solution for those with concerns about strut bar clearance.

i only know of three companies to date that are making the gaskets so its good to see more come onto the scene.

rw
Old 06-22-2005, 08:31 AM
vfr350

FYI...the Fisherspeed gasket fit with my Crawford V5, no hood clearence issues...
Old 06-22-2005, 09:06 AM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

I assume with the Crawford, you're not using the stock strut bar anyway, right? If that's the case, then there won't be a clearance problem. The potential problem is with the stock plenum, a plenum spacer and the gasket.
Old 06-22-2005, 09:31 AM
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by vfr350
FYI...the Fisherspeed gasket fit with my Crawford V5, no hood clearence issues...
good info for those considering the thermal gaskets....you will hit the hood with both the next gear gaskets installed and the crawford plenum

also, for those in the market....fisherspeed has excellent information on their website as well as good customer service in speaking with them via email now that they have settled after their move and were out of contact for a while

i may try a combo of both fisherspeed and next gear and see what happens because i eventually want to go to a cf hood...but i don't want to have to modify it for clearance.

now that i know the fisherspeed will work without clearance issues i may just go with them instead....they also have the tb gasket and bypass for $65....thats very competitive with the other manufacturers that are currently out there

rw
Old 06-22-2005, 09:33 AM
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by DavesZ#3
I assume with the Crawford, you're not using the stock strut bar anyway, right? If that's the case, then there won't be a clearance problem. The potential problem is with the stock plenum, a plenum spacer and the gasket.
in speaking with ethan at fisherspeed you are able to retain the stock strut bar with their gaskets and stock plenum without any clearance issues.
Old 06-29-2005, 08:13 AM
slaponte

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't be worried of the bottom two. I am a newbie on the Z so this was my first time going that deep. Once I got below the bottom plenum, I thought of not doing the lower two gaskets. But it is really simple.

You undo 4 bolts and lift the rails with the injectors. You might have to wiggle them a bit. I didn't unhook them, I just "hanged" them out of the way with a short piece of wire. You then undo 4 bolts and 4 nuts to get under the short IM. Replace the gaskets. Reversal was as simple. Be carefull to torque properly.

Doing the extra two gaskets takes less than 20 mins been slow and carefull. Remember you don't have to be Hulk to do the bolts/nuts. PLEASE use a torque wrench. The engine is not hanging off these bolts, ok? What you want is an even seal

I have the Kinetix SSV, all three gaskets installed and have no clearance problems to the OEM strut bar or the hood.

Last edited by slaponte; 06-29-2005 at 08:17 AM.
Old 06-29-2005, 08:30 AM
slaponte

Does anybody know the angle of that intake valley? Because the lower two gaskets sit an angle, so they don't lift you 3/16th, the effective lift from them is less (I think).
Old 06-29-2005, 09:05 AM
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by slaponte
Don't be worried of the bottom two. I am a newbie on the Z so this was my first time going that deep. Once I got below the bottom plenum, I thought of not doing the lower two gaskets. But it is really simple.

You undo 4 bolts and lift the rails with the injectors. You might have to wiggle them a bit. I didn't unhook them, I just "hanged" them out of the way with a short piece of wire. You then undo 4 bolts and 4 nuts to get under the short IM. Replace the gaskets. Reversal was as simple. Be carefull to torque properly.

Doing the extra two gaskets takes less than 20 mins been slow and carefull. Remember you don't have to be Hulk to do the bolts/nuts. PLEASE use a torque wrench. The engine is not hanging off these bolts, ok? What you want is an even seal

I have the Kinetix SSV, all three gaskets installed and have no clearance problems to the OEM strut bar or the hood.
i agree...the bottom two gaskets are not hard to do...the gaskets are however a little thicker than necessary imo. i am concerned if they are lined up exactly with the lower and upper intake manifold because of the angle....if they were flat i wouldn't be concerned.
Old 07-03-2005, 08:59 AM
nextgear

Default NextGear

We have a new material that we are using for the gaskets. We call the next generation gaskets Thermoshield HHT for Higher Heat Tolerance. We have also increased our warranty from 3 years to 5 years!
If anyone needs more info on the NextGear Products please contact me directly at Don_Napier@NextGearInc.com or my partner Omari at Omari_Winbush@NextGearInc.com. You can find information on our products at www.NextGearInc.com or www.NipponPower.com. Courtesy Nissan will also be recieving their first shipment soon. I have a blackberry so its easy for me to keep in touch. Do not hesitate writing. I am here to help.
Old 07-03-2005, 09:19 AM
the7ferret

how much more effective is the new stuff compared to the old.

Or is it just replaceing the old stuff.
How does the new material compare in size to the old?
Old 07-03-2005, 01:33 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Don,

Have you come up with pricing yet on the single upper gasket rather than the 3 piece gasket set?
Old 07-04-2005, 02:46 AM
arcada

Don,

When will the HHT's be available ?
Old 07-04-2005, 03:27 AM
Z BOY

stoopid ?: why not just use oem?
Old 07-04-2005, 04:35 AM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by Z BOY
stoopid ?: why not just use oem?
These are insulating gaskets made to cut the heat from flowing from the engine block up into the plenum. They are about 1/8" thick and made of an insulating material.
Old 07-04-2005, 08:59 AM
Road Warrior

can we exchange the old ones for the new ones?
Old 05-10-2006, 07:45 AM
nextgear

I'm sorry guys about not responding. I just saw the questions.

The New H.H.T. material is the same thickness but it stops the possibility of the material deforming over time from the heat cycle process.
The New material is available right now.
If you want just the top gasket it is $60.00.

If anyone else has any other questions shoot me an email to Don_Napier@NextGearInc.com
Old 05-10-2006, 02:29 PM
ZU L8R
Viper Sellout

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Road Warrior
can we exchange the old ones for the new ones?
+1
Old 05-11-2006, 08:52 AM
Road Warrior

i tried emailing don at nextgear regarding the replacement of older gaskets with the new....no word yet

Quick Reply: Next Gear Gaskets...review and warning