Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Kinetix SSV Manifold on N/A...am I the only one?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2005, 05:37 PM
Conceyted

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How is the low end torque? Is there any noticible low end loss or gain? How about high end?
Old 06-15-2005, 05:41 PM
mario60185
Chicago Realtor

who told you that theres three maps? ive been on here for years and never heard proof of that.
Old 06-15-2005, 05:42 PM
patdsaunders

Noticable gain in torque from 3000 up. By 4000, it feels like more than 10 ftlbs.
Old 06-15-2005, 05:50 PM
hndumafia

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mario60185
who told you that theres three maps? ive been on here for years and never heard proof of that.
i recall Sharif talking about the 3 maps in a f/i post. or maybe it was miaplaya. one of those two.
Old 06-15-2005, 05:53 PM
Z BOY

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

subscribing for dyno results.
Old 06-15-2005, 06:01 PM
mario60185
Chicago Realtor

no offense but how are they credible?
Old 06-15-2005, 06:02 PM
Conceyted

The 3 maps that they were talking about were definatly NOT stock fuel maps. They were probably Greddy Emanage or other ECU enhancement maps (low boost, high boost, daily driving) is probably what they were referring too.
Old 06-15-2005, 06:09 PM
Machupo

Maybe I misinterpreted, but what I thought the 3 map idea came from was a conversation about how Technosquare does their reflashes... either someone was saying that they only flash the standard map (2) or whether they flash all three...

maybe someone a bit more knowledgable can chime in for me

that being said, I definitely feel like my car is stronger the harder I drive it... i.e. runs 2-3 of an autoX were decent, but 4-6 were a couple seconds faster... and it was not relational to how well I knew the course, i took the exact same lines for all runs (well, minus run 1 which was a DNF )...

like I said, though -- hopefully someone with some knowledge (lol, just thought of the old Sportscenter commercial) will come in and set things straight
Old 06-15-2005, 09:47 PM
all_bark

Originally Posted by patdsaunders
I had a leak after install at the MAF-intake interface. I sanded the SSV and then used RTV (grey) for a good seal. No problems now. I think most will have a problem at this interface and should consider simply adding RTV.

I am normally asperated with Kinetix cats and Borla exhast.

I had the V4 and it ran well, especially cool on track. The new SSV is quieter, but makes much more power by the butt dyno. I do not like dyno's, but if you look at the N/A dyno, the torque is much higher across the RPM range than any other plenum/intake. I did not believe that dyno until I drove with the new SSV. Incredible. It may not be 14 ftlbs more across most of the band, but it is more power than any other mod I have done.
so you had the V4 and now you have this and its still a good gain?

when do I get mine?
Old 06-16-2005, 01:26 PM
Machupo

SSV Arrived today -- damn, this thing is BEAUTIFUL!!!
Old 06-16-2005, 01:40 PM
hndumafia

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Machupo
Maybe I misinterpreted, but what I thought the 3 map idea came from was a conversation about how Technosquare does their reflashes... either someone was saying that they only flash the standard map (2) or whether they flash all three...

that's what i recall reading about also. if i remember correctly sharif was getting his ecu reflashed by ts and was having all three maps changed. Sharif...where are you??
Old 06-16-2005, 07:10 PM
frostyrock7c

UPDATE-My SES light came on tonight. I have Helix Test Pipes, but I have cleared the code and currently use the spark plug foulers but I think that my car is running rich again. I will use our scanner at work tomorrow to get the "new" code and share the info with you guys, I'll also have my RPM bumped up and my timing advanced a bit by a friend.
Old 06-17-2005, 07:50 AM
TXSTYLE
Banned

Subscribing...

Let's see some DYNO's people.
Old 06-17-2005, 04:11 PM
Machupo

sorry guys, i know it's gay, but i didn't get a dyno

going out to flog her a little bit and see how she reacts
Old 06-17-2005, 04:55 PM
Machupo

ok, bit more of an update...

took two hours to install (with removal of the crawford cast plenum) -- found a couple snags but I have suggestions for the directions makers at Kinetix, and i took a bunch of photos that will help clear up install snafu's (i'll post 'em in their own thread in a bit).

First crank:
Idle is high, about 1200-1300, sounds like i've got a lopey *** cam in there!
*Tap the gas a bit, take it up to 4k a couple times, let it sit there*
Once it reaches operating temp the idle drops to 600rpm and I think it's going to quit on me, have to save it once or twice with the gas
*Turn on the AC*
Idle bumps to 900rpm, but still sounds like it's going to die

So, i say F*** it, i'm going to go run to the store and pick up milk and beer.
*Get out on the road and take it easy on the way to the store*
Lost a little bit of torque below 2500rpm, you can def. feel it
Once you get to 3k, though, you can definitely feel the added power... starts building (but, i keep it under 4k for the trip to the store)
Feels like it revs faster
Exhaust note is a little bit louder, but not bad
Intake note is a ton louder... almost sounds like i've got a bov, lol!

On the way back from the store I get a little bolder, with a couple runs to the redline.
This thing really awakens at 4k.
Once I get above 4k, I have dual exhaust notes (harmonics)... i have no ****ing idea why, but it's pretty cool.
This is the first time that the Z has actually thrown me back into the seat (not counting shifting with the tilton )...
I really, REALLY, REALLY need to raise the rev limiter! This thing is just getting going at 6600
Definite increase up top -- it races through the top 3000 rpms, I have to focus a little hard to hit the shift at the right time now (so used to having to wait a little longer).
Exhaust gets LOUD above 5k -- good thing i'm not behind me

Well, these are just my impressions, if you've got any other Q's, shoot me a line

I will be dynoing this thing next saturday, but it won't really help since i was too lazy to go get baseline dynos (**** that, i couldn't wait to throw this thing on there -- like a kid in a candy store!)

reflash time
Old 06-17-2005, 06:02 PM
Kaitain

That is a sweet looking intake thingy. Would this be easy for someone that isn't necessarily experienced with automobile mechanics stuff but is skilled with tools. I just don't have any experience with autos since shop class in high school but I do a little bit of carpentry and I'm a quick study.

<edit>
I can't spull

Last edited by Kaitain; 06-17-2005 at 06:08 PM.
Old 06-17-2005, 06:10 PM
Machupo

Originally Posted by Kaitain
That is a sweet looking intake thingy. Would this be easy for someone that isn't necessarily experienced with automobile mechanics stuff but is skilled with tools. I just don't have any experience with autos since shop class in high school but I do a little bit of carpentry and I'm a quick study.

<edit>
I can't spull
as long as you take your time, keep tools and screws OUT OF YOUR HANDS (except the one that you're using at that very moment) and read the directions front to back many times, you'll be fine.

also helps to have a decent toolset

oh, and btw... whatever you do... don't drop any screws, tools, anything! down your engine (trumpets or runners)... you'll have to rebuild the top half on the spot to get 'em back (and if you turn on the engine it will crunch!)

but yeah... as long as you're careful about it, you can do it just fine.
Old 06-18-2005, 05:32 AM
frostyrock7c

Machupo-glad that you enjoy it, but i can tell you that the lopey cam idle is not normal, I thought it was too, but I actually had an air leak where the manifold mates to the throttle body, quite a few other people have had the same problem. I lightly sanded both surfaces and used grey RTV to make a good seal, now it idles just a bit higher than before, but no lopey cam sound...you should check it out.
Old 06-18-2005, 05:47 AM
Machupo

ok, i'll check it out -- did you guys re-use the stock gaskets (two of them, one between the runners and the engine, and one between the manifold and the throttlebody)?

I take it the grey RTV is the non-permanent gasket maker? (unlike the red stuff?)
Old 06-18-2005, 08:08 AM
patdsaunders

Please read the other posts. You need to use RTV at the throttle body/MAF, but not at the runners. The RTV is probably needed in most cases. Sanding is probably not necessary and should only be done on the Kinetix side and carefully cleaned after.

Work is easy for car work, but some people do not have any experience and should just let a professional do it in < 60 min. My install took about 45 min.

Quick Reply: Kinetix SSV Manifold on N/A...am I the only one?