FisherSpeed Thermal Gaskets Review

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2005, 07:27 AM
Road Warrior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up FisherSpeed Thermal Gaskets Review

here is their website http://fisherspeed.com

the kit costs $65.00

i have had the opportunity to try out three companies making thermal gaskets now and imo this kit is probably the best you can get for the money.

review:

let me start out by saying that i had a great buying experience....fast shipping, great customer service, and an increase in performance. i spoke with ethan extensively about his product and he is very knowledgable on the design and theory behind the thermal gaskets.

i did feel an increase in power over the other gaskets believe it or not....and the plenum stays cooler to the touch now. the other kits do not have the tb gasket so i don't know if this is what made the difference in performance or not. i also did not have the bypass installed, and the other difference would be the thickness in the gaskets....maybe size does matter here.

my overall opinion is that it was probably a combination of everything (tb gasket, bypass, thickness of gaskets, material of gaskets) that i attribute to the increase in performance over the other thermal gaskets.

for the price this is a great buy!

the kit includes:

1 each great instructions - easy to follow including torque values and proper order for tightening of the plenum bolts....most of the pages are right out of the manual leaving no doubts about how to remove and install the upper plenum.

1 each throttle body thermal gasket

1 each upper plenum gasket - the gaskets are very precisely cut....an exact copy of the original and for those worried about clearance issues these gaskets are just a little bigger than the stock gaskets

1 each bypass connector
Old 07-08-2005, 10:49 AM
Phatmitzu

I got mine there too. But I havent get the chance to install yet. I agree on the fast shipping and superb customer service tho.

Old 07-08-2005, 10:53 AM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Besides the NextGear gasket, what other one did you try?
Old 07-08-2005, 10:57 AM
Road Warrior

powergaskets - bought them off of ebay....very poor quality imo
Old 07-08-2005, 12:51 PM
Apexi350z
Charter Member #50

Originally Posted by Road Warrior
i did feel an increase in power over the other gaskets believe it or not....and the plenum stays cooler to the touch now.
with a simple gasket replacement, the plenum really stays cooler to the touch?? doesn't the plenum get heak soak from under the engine bay anyway?
Old 07-08-2005, 01:12 PM
Phatmitzu

Exactly.

The thermo gasket replace the manifold -> lower plenum gasket. Prevents heat from transfering from the manifold to the lower plenum and the upper plenum.
Old 07-08-2005, 01:27 PM
teh215

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Apexi350z
with a simple gasket replacement, the plenum really stays cooler to the touch?? doesn't the plenum get heak soak from under the engine bay anyway?
That's what I have always thought. It's kinda like saying you can't roast a chicken in your oven if you set the broiler pan on our gaskets. I understand the theory behind how it slows direct thermal transfer but, with the ambient temps under the hood, you would think, you are going to cook the plenum. Maybe with a vented hood you will see a dramatic decrease. Perhaps an engineer among us can chime in...
Old 07-08-2005, 02:08 PM
Road Warrior

the vented hood was next on my list....i am trying to find a nice vented cf hood at the moment. this would really help even more to reduce the engine bay temps and keep things even cooler. you would be surprised how much these gaskets help to reduce the heat soak of the upper plenum
Old 07-08-2005, 02:47 PM
slaponte

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, IMHO they need to do better on their web site. There is no clear photo/closeup of the gaskets, just a long winded sales pitch. Instead, some specs (like thickness) and some clear photos might help.

I also notice the kit has the top gasket and one for plenum to throttle body... humm. I hardly think that plenum to throttle body is really such an issue. I rather get the two lower ones (IM runners to head) that come on the Nextgear kit.
Old 07-08-2005, 04:33 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by slaponte
I rather get the two lower ones (IM runners to head) that come on the Nextgear kit.
From the "long winded sales pitch":

We’ve selected a robust material to both last through many installations without fatigue or failure, and to stop the transmission of heat from the lower manifold to the lower plenum. The location of the gasket may raise some questions as to why we did not select a gasket for the cylinder head and lower manifold. After many iterations and dyno tests, we found that gaskets in this location hurt performance by impeding airflow rather than helping by reducing temperatures. The net result was an overall decrease in performance. Thus, selecting a gasket for the lower manifold to lower plenum provides the greatest reduction in heat soak without compromising the airflow qualities achieved through Nissan’s precise intake castings.

I agree that he needs to work on the site some. It needs more pics and details. Email Ethan and he will be glad to answer any questions about the kit.
Old 07-08-2005, 05:18 PM
vfr350

Even if the plenum heats up from baking under the hood after a drive, I noticed the plenum will cool to the touch again after a short drive. The incoming air must cool the plenum down as its still not in direct contact with the heat source. Glad to see another positive review, as I have been happy with the gaskets for a little while now.
Old 07-09-2005, 11:57 AM
350ed
Professional

What's with the bypass?
What's the purpose?
Old 07-09-2005, 12:25 PM
Road Warrior

the purpose of the bypass is to eliminate engine coolant from flowing through the throttle body. i would not recommend not doing this if you live in low temperature conditions....the hot coolant prevents the tb valve from sticking.