Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Just got Borla True Dual Exhaust installed

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2005 | 02:20 PM
ZlleH

Default Just got Borla True Dual Exhaust installed

I just got the Borla True Dual Exhaust installed and it is awsome. It is exactly what I wanted in an after-market exhaust. It rumbles like a V8 in the low RPMs and it roars in the high RPMs. When you are idling, it doesn't make any noise at all.

My butt dyno says the car is faster. Fast enough for me to be caught off gaurd when I accidently put to much gas down.

The fit was perfect, all these people talking about fitment problem for Borla... I don't know what is going on with them, but I made sure to use a rubber hammer to pound the pipes into place and not just use my hands to push the pipes together. when I did it with my hands, everything was off by half an inch so I couldn't use the supports. But once I took a rubber hammer and made sure every little bit of pipe was snugged to the other pipe, everything fit perfectly.

I am very happy with this exhaust, it is perfect for me.

Now for the sound description:
I love how the 350Z has a european look, but I love the sound of an American muscle car. this Borla exhaust really mixed those two up. the sound is a very "classy muscle car" sound. Just loud and deep enough to make a quick rumble at the start of the RPMs, but does not continue on to the higher RPMs to annoy people and make them think your are those teenage kids that just sticks a noise maker on your honda.

Now for my Complaint.
When I ordered the Exhaust, Borla sent me 2 Left-hand sided pipes. They were marked as LH and RH. But the RH sticker was definately on a LH pipe. I was very mad about this but I told myself to calm down. I went back to the shop I got the exhaust from and they ordered another exhaust system right away, and this time, the RH was truely a right handed side pipe

Shame on Borla for that mistake. But in the end, I am very happy with this exhaust
Old 07-20-2005 | 02:24 PM
RadioManJ

I'm glad to hear a BORALA report that is good! sounds like the hammer did the job!

Rubber hammer... "Hammer don't hurt em'!"

Sound clip please!
Old 07-20-2005 | 02:35 PM
hfm

Originally Posted by ZlleH
It is exactly what I wanted in an after-market exhaust. It rumbles like a V8 in the low RPMs and it roars in the high RPMs.

Now for the sound description:
I love how the 350Z has a european look, but I love the sound of an American muscle car. this Borla exhaust really mixed those two up. the sound is a very "classy muscle car" sound. Just loud and deep enough to make a quick rumble at the start of the RPMs, but does not continue on to the higher RPMs to annoy people and make them think your are those teenage kids that just sticks a noise maker on your honda.
Ditto. I love the sound of a classic V8 muscle car and the Borla exhaust did that for me two years ago. I think it was Steve McQueen or Paul Newman that said his favorite sound is a V8 and this is as good as it gets for a fairly high displacement V6.
Old 07-20-2005 | 02:41 PM
RadioManJ

Pictures of the rear end please. I'd like to see how it looks. I'm kinda partial to the NISMO look fot tips.
Old 07-20-2005 | 02:55 PM
RadioManJ

Were you able to retain the air difuser un there?
Old 07-20-2005 | 04:01 PM
ZlleH

Thanks for all the comments guys, I'll work on it. As for the air difuser... are you talking about all the plastic covers that you bolt on after you put the exhaust on? If so, then yes, everything was able to be put back on.

BTW: The exhaust tip is very stealthy, the only difference is on the top of the exhaust tip is the word "Borla" embosed, no colours like the nismo etched on the side. Also, the topside of the exhaust tip is further out then the bottom part.

Originally Posted by RadioManJ
Were you able to retain the air difuser un there?
Old 07-20-2005 | 05:06 PM
silver350z03

Welcome to the sweet sound of the borla exhaust!
Old 07-20-2005 | 09:23 PM
ZlleH

Update, It also makes a very subdued V8 rumbling sound like a mustang. I didn't hear it at first because I was driving. But I got my friend to drive it going by me a bit to see how it sounded from a by-stander point of view. Then I notice when I was behind the car as it was idling, it had a very subdued kinda v8 mustang rumble while it was idling. Not at all loud and obnoxious. Just enough to tell you that this baby is gurgling some gas

And here is some pictures as promised. I don't have any means of recording the sound though >_<;;

Sorry for how dark and low resolution the dig camera is. The sun was going down so I found a 3 story parking garage.

Last edited by ZlleH; 07-20-2005 at 09:27 PM.
Old 07-21-2005 | 06:31 AM
Apexi350z
Charter Member #50

Congras on your Borla exhaust! I noticed your clamp was facing downward, you might want to turn it higher to hide the nut/bolt.. It just looks more clean...

Anyway, love the exhaust note for sure!
Old 07-29-2005 | 01:29 PM
bsr8129

cant wait to get mine installed this weekend, thats the exact sound i want the old muscle car sound, now im excited to get mine on
Old 07-29-2005 | 05:43 PM
ZlleH

Update: Wow, after 500 miles, I guess the ECU somehow updated itself because man, does this Borla sound good! It sounds better as the days go by. Also, I am having to press lighter on the gas so I won't squael my tires. Before, I had to do it on purpose, now there is such a response to the throttle that I have to press lightly on the gas as not to make people think I am showing off by squaeling.

Thanks, Apexi350z for the comment, I'm loving it. I see someone do a double take at my car a second time wondering where the mustang noise came from. lol

bsr8129, go for it, but make sure you tell the installer to use a rubber mallet to snuggly put all the pipes together.
Old 07-29-2005 | 05:56 PM
350Zenophile

I just bought this exhaust on a whim and was wondering if anyone has it installed with headers and hf cats? Currently with the stock catback, it get's extra loud between 3-4,000rpm to the point of being raspy when I get on it.

Any chance of this evening out the exhaust volume and/or eliminating the rasp? I haven't installed it yet but I'm hoping for a power bump since it will be uncorking the rest of the exhaust.
Old 07-30-2005 | 04:18 AM
ZlleH

I have the stock cat still, I don't hear any rasp unless I rev it while not moving.

Originally Posted by 350Zenophile
I just bought this exhaust on a whim and was wondering if anyone has it installed with headers and hf cats? Currently with the stock catback, it get's extra loud between 3-4,000rpm to the point of being raspy when I get on it.

Any chance of this evening out the exhaust volume and/or eliminating the rasp? I haven't installed it yet but I'm hoping for a power bump since it will be uncorking the rest of the exhaust.
Old 07-30-2005 | 10:54 PM
BENJ-AMG
Banned

Crawford HF cats and the Borla here. No rasp. Just nice and exotic. Not too loud, just right. The Crawford cats add a nice mid range punch too. I'd spring for some if I were you.
Old 07-31-2005 | 12:22 AM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

OK i have been wondering for a long time... is there a Borla exhaust that is NOT a true dual? It just seems like so much to say and type "true dual" every single time when speaking of this exhaust... arent all Borlas from the 350z/G35 DUAL?
Old 07-31-2005 | 12:33 AM
BJF2K

just saw this thread... and i was a borla true dual exhaust owner for about little bit less than a year.

Then one day i heard there's some noise from the exhaust, so i checked and it was a bit loose so i thought it's a broken hanger... then three days later i took it to get it replaced and found BOTH hangers broke off. I did not get into any accident nor hit it with anything... i just think both hanger break off is not something i would expect from an exhaust that costed $800+
Old 07-31-2005 | 04:37 AM
ZlleH

The first generation Borla for the 350Z was not Dual pipes.

Originally Posted by phunk
OK i have been wondering for a long time... is there a Borla exhaust that is NOT a true dual? It just seems like so much to say and type "true dual" every single time when speaking of this exhaust... arent all Borlas from the 350z/G35 DUAL?
Old 07-31-2005 | 04:39 AM
ZlleH

Dud, I looked at my hanger, they are massively wielded, I can't see any reason why they would break off.

Either way, did you get your money back from Borla because they have the one million mile warrenty?

Originally Posted by BJF2K
just saw this thread... and i was a borla true dual exhaust owner for about little bit less than a year.

Then one day i heard there's some noise from the exhaust, so i checked and it was a bit loose so i thought it's a broken hanger... then three days later i took it to get it replaced and found BOTH hangers broke off. I did not get into any accident nor hit it with anything... i just think both hanger break off is not something i would expect from an exhaust that costed $800+
Old 07-31-2005 | 04:53 AM
juan

I had mine installed by a shop, and they squeaked real bad every time I accelerated and even were such that you could hear the squeak at idle; very aggravating, took all pleasure of driving away. I then took it to muffler shop and asked them to weld it; they checked it after runningit up on a ramp, then told me that I did not need to weld it since there were no leaks,but that the pipe was hitting the body;they then proceeded to heat the pipes and move them from contacting the body, and it was perfect after that,no problems since then.
Best of all, they refused to charge me; wow.
Old 08-01-2005 | 06:57 PM
BJF2K

Originally Posted by ZlleH
Either way, did you get your money back from Borla because they have the one million mile warrenty?
i tired calling them twice last week and waited for at least 30 min before i hanged up...either way gonna try again this week

Quick Reply: Just got Borla True Dual Exhaust installed