Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

How do I install Test Pipes?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2005, 06:55 AM
Kaitain

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I install Test Pipes?

I just got the Stillin test pipes from AZ350Z here on the board but have no idea how to install them. Can someone post a simple step by step on what to do and in what order? Thank you in advance.

From searching the forums I've been able to deduce that I need the following:

A 22mm O2 sensor socket
Socket extender of at least 20"
A socket knuckle thingy
Anti-seize (goo?) for the O2 sensors so they don't get stuck in the bungs over time.
Help! part # 42002 spark plug non-foulers 18mm x 2 (have)
Rhino Ramps (have)
wheel chocks (have)
I have the 2005 service manual but it really does suck.

Anything else?

Questions:

What size is are the nuts?

Do I need a special socket? There looks like there is some wierd reverse hex bolts on the top side of the cats (looking down from the engine compartment).

Should I undo the top of the cat from inside the engine bay or from under the car? I looked in the engine compartment and can't see how in the world I'm going to be able to get to the the left side top of the cats, even with a socket extender. Just about everyone is saying this is an easy process so please let me know what I'm missing.

If I losen the bolts on the cats from the top what do I need to remove, e.g. engine cover, intake, MAF, etc., to get to the bolts if anything?

Some say you need new bolts and nuts, some say they are not needed as long as your existing ones look ok. I have about 4,000 miles on my car so mine should be ok. A Nissan parts guy even said that when I called to find out how much they were (just nuts and gaskets were around $75!).

And finally you would be safe in assuming I am a complete novice when it comes to working on cars so please don't leave out anything you think is obvious because it most likely is not obvious to me. I don't know the first thing about cars other than mine is cool looking and goes fast.

I don't want to clutter up the thread with all the thank yous so I'll thank everyone in advance. Thanks!

test pipes test pipe cats catalytic converter remove install DIY instructions do it yourself FAQ

Last edited by Kaitain; 07-30-2005 at 08:39 AM.
Old 07-30-2005, 07:15 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Every time I do them, I replace the bottom 4 nuts and bolts connecting to your exhaust system(y-pipe if its stock). Mine are always in bad shape. I dont know if I could do this alone I always have a friend help. For the top 6 nuts on the top of the catalytic converter you need to have a bunch of extensions on a wrench, and guide down the socket to your friend down low. Have him put the socket on the nuts and then loosen them up from above. I have never taken my intake off to do my test-pipes and Ive had them on and off the car numerous times. IIRC the passenger side is a little tighter, but you can still drop the socket down from the engine bay. Those tops ones are the hardest part, everything else is easy.
Old 07-30-2005, 01:00 PM
Z BOY

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you need a 9/16" or 14mm socket. need an extender and jointed socket adapter to get at the top two bolts from the top of the engine bay. don't need to remove anything to get at those nuts. need a bright light to see them.
don't need a special tool to remove sensor, just a crescent wrench. you are removing 5 nuts, two at ypipe and 3 at headers, and the sensor. air tools make the job easier, but you can do it with a socket wrench set. the higher you can lift your car, the better. dolly helps, too. i have done it by myself several times. first time is the hardest. gets easier after that.
good luck.
ps: you will be very proud of yourself when you're done.
pm me for my phone number if you need it.
spray wd40 on all nuts prior, to make removal easier.

Last edited by Z BOY; 07-30-2005 at 01:10 PM.