Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

DC Headers, Crawford CATS and Injen Dual Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2005, 08:50 PM
shooter82

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DC Headers, Crawford CATS and Injen Dual Exhaust

I installed the Injen dual exhaust today and man does it sound good! It rumbles and vibrates the car somewhat, not too bad, just about right for my tastes (its only the first day tho).....I also have DC headers and Crawford CATS......but i have noticed a loss in low end torque...i went out for 1 drive this evening and will take more tomorrow to confirm, but the car seems to take longer to get up and go.....but pulls good at the top end all the way to redline.....I have seen some of you install an H pipe.....will this help with the torque? Will an X pipe help more? I am planning on a dyno real soon to check the A/F which might be another issue........comments anyone?

shooter
Old 08-13-2005, 09:01 PM
vfr350

When was the last time you reset your ecu?
Old 08-14-2005, 06:07 AM
shooter82

i did not reset the ecu yesterday after the injen exhaust install.........it was reset last week when i installed the dc headers cause i disconnected the battery......i'll go ahead a drive it today for more impressions, then reset the ecu tonight......thanks for the suggestion!
Old 08-14-2005, 08:08 AM
lowrider

You have my comments on G35driver. As far as the ECU comment, resetting it is a myth. I've had mine reflashed at TS, and that did make a difference.

Lou
Old 08-14-2005, 08:25 AM
vfr350

So, resetting the ECU using Technosquare's proceedure is a myth? News to me, maybe we could send this one to that show mythbusters and get the real answer. One would think actually reseting the ecu is better than unhooking the battery overnight, What type of memory is used in the ecu?
Old 08-14-2005, 11:17 AM
shooter82

"flashing" the ECU is a good thing........"resetting" the ECU is a myth is what lowrider was refferring to........i have read many many post on the ECU reset and i am scepticle as well........but i'll give it a shot anyway this evening and post my findings

i did get to take it out today for some more road time....and wow it does sound like a BAD A$$ now.......the low rumble and slight vibration can be heard and felt! I dont have any idle problems tho lowrider.......it seems to idle fine, maybe a dip every now and then, but it comes right back up there........
Old 08-14-2005, 02:46 PM
Damian

I thought the ECU compensates for added mods eventualy, without the need for a(n) reset.
Old 08-14-2005, 05:02 PM
zzzya

A reflash helps because they can add fuel to the low end an advance the timing. They also open the throttle to 100%. By decreasing the backpressure, you decrease low rpm vaccum which can decrease the engines ability to pull in air and fuel. The reflash is the best way to combat this in NA form unless you use other mods to get through the lower rpms faster such as a more aggressive FD or an underdrive pulley.
Old 08-14-2005, 05:22 PM
shooter82

zzzya......thats the best explanation i have heard yet on how a dual exhaust will lose low end torque! thanks

I see from your sig we have simliar exhaust performance parts (i also have the UR crank pulley and 3/8 MD spacer).......what is the Crawford TS ECU? did TS flash your ECU with maps specific to the Crawford header/CAT assembly? Did you feel the low end torque return after the flash?
Old 08-14-2005, 05:39 PM
ZlleH

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a Borla True Dual Exhaust and Z magazine mentioned that the highest increase HP it produces is 8.and the highest torque increase it produces is 2.7.

How can that be losing low end torque when there is and increase after installing the exhaust?

Are you saying I would have to get my ECU reflash to have a increase in torque instead of a lose in low end HP?
Old 08-14-2005, 06:37 PM
lowrider

Originally Posted by ZlleH
I have a Borla True Dual Exhaust and Z magazine mentioned that the highest increase HP it produces is 8.and the highest torque increase it produces is 2.7.

How can that be losing low end torque when there is and increase after installing the exhaust?

Are you saying I would have to get my ECU reflash to have a increase in torque instead of a lose in low end HP?
The Borla is not a "True Dual" exhaust. They advertise it as such, but it is not. The Muffler is an "X" Type, as described in the Borlas literature when it was released. An "X" type muffler mingles both sides of the exhaust just before the tips. Real Dual systems are, Stillen, Ingen, Invidia G200, HKS, and I believe the new APS system.

Now to your question, where was the HP and Torque increase? If it was on the top end, which I assume it was, it probably gave up a little on the bottom end for the better breathing at the top.

Lou
Old 08-14-2005, 10:02 PM
ZlleH

LOL, you never give up a chance to make the point about the True Dual name, eh? Maybe you should just assume when people type "True Dual", it's because they are describing the generation of Borla exhuast they have. When I see you pointing that out all the time, it makes you sound really snobby like your exhaust is better then others or something. I don't care if it is "TRUE" true dual, I bought the exhaust because I love the sound and it had the gains I was looking for.

Anyhoo, the independent test said an increase of 2.7 torque, so my question is how could it have lost low end HP when the torque was increased by 2.7?

Here are the numbers:

PEAK HP:
1. Borla 8.2
2. Stillen 8.1
3. Injen 7.6
4. Nismo 6.3
5. 5Zigen -3.4

PEAK Torque:
1. Stillen 7.3
2. Injen 5.1
3. Nismo 4.5
4. Borla 2.7
5. 5Zigen 0.2

You would think if you are not in the negative in the Torque list, you wouldn't have lost low end HP, right?

Originally Posted by lowrider
The Borla is not a "True Dual" exhaust. They advertise it as such, but it is not. The Muffler is an "X" Type, as described in the Borlas literature when it was released. An "X" type muffler mingles both sides of the exhaust just before the tips. Real Dual systems are, Stillen, Ingen, Invidia G200, HKS, and I believe the new APS system.

Now to your question, where was the HP and Torque increase? If it was on the top end, which I assume it was, it probably gave up a little on the bottom end for the better breathing at the top.

Lou

Last edited by ZlleH; 08-14-2005 at 10:22 PM.
Old 08-16-2005, 06:26 PM
zzzya

When talking about "low end" I am talking about 3000 rpms and below. This engine makes peak TQ much higher than this and that is where the "reported" gains are being seen. Companies like to show a gain but you need to look at the entire power curve to determine if the gains are truly applicable.
Old 08-16-2005, 06:32 PM
zzzya

Originally Posted by shooter82
what is the Crawford TS ECU? did TS flash your ECU with maps specific to the Crawford header/CAT assembly? Did you feel the low end torque return after the flash?
First off, my sig is not up to date and for some reason the site will not allow me to change it. TS has a "Crawford" based reflash, but it doesn't necessarily work on all cars. For example, I have cams and a 5AT and that particular flash didn't work quite right for me so I have been working with TS to create a custom reflash and yes, with the reflash setup correctly you can really feel a major return of grunt below 3000 rpms. I have 275 rear tires, a 5AT, cams, a very open setup and with a good reflash I have been able to light up the tires from a stop without power braking. The reflash can make a big difference if done correctly.
Old 08-16-2005, 08:00 PM
ZlleH

Little off topic here but did you have to do anything to the rear fender like "shaving" it to make room for the 275? I heard with 275, it slightly rubs.

Originally Posted by zzzya
I have 275 rear tires, a 5AT, cams, a very open setup and with a good reflash I have been able to light up the tires from a stop without power braking. The reflash can make a big difference if done correctly.
Old 08-16-2005, 09:18 PM
JKitts

Kinda ignorant here; but what's the difference in output between the Borla TD and the other cat-back systems. Everything I've seen so far reports the same increases.
?????
any reccomendations are appreciated.
Old 08-17-2005, 03:08 AM
zzzya

Originally Posted by JKitts
Kinda ignorant here; but what's the difference in output between the Borla TD and the other cat-back systems. Everything I've seen so far reports the same increases.
?????
any reccomendations are appreciated.
One thing to remember is that most of the intake and exhaust mod "gains" that have been reported are mostly on stock or near stock vehicles. As you modify the car more, there is more potential for differences in gains. Most of the exhausts show fairly similar gains on stock cars with the biggest difference being build quality and exhaust note.
Old 08-17-2005, 03:09 AM
zzzya

Little off topic here but did you have to do anything to the rear fender like "shaving" it to make room for the 275? I heard with 275, it slightly rubs.
No problems at all with the 275s
Old 08-17-2005, 02:51 PM
BluZee

Originally Posted by zzzya
No problems at all with the 275s
+1 275s are fine.
Old 08-17-2005, 03:32 PM
ZlleH

Dang, I wonder what it will cost me to get a pair of 19" 275 for the back of my car. LOL

I think I'll put 18" 245 in the front.

What you guys think about that setup?

Quick Reply: DC Headers, Crawford CATS and Injen Dual Exhaust