Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Nismo cat-back installed

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2005, 01:01 AM
Havok_RLS2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Navygold
One more thing...Another factor in my decision to get the Nismo was the warranty. And by warranty I mean that the exhaust won't do anything to the car's warranty. I've heard too many stories about how dealers try to blame things on the aftermarket exhaust, so I didn't want to risk it. I know you can argue that an exhaust doesn't affect this or that in an engine, but with the Nismo I won't have to do any argueing at all.
Good point.
Old 09-04-2005, 07:15 AM
ZlleH

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sport Z Magazine:

Here are more #'s in order of ranking:

PEAK HP:
1. Borla 8.2
2. Stillen 8.1
3. Injen 7.6
4. Nismo 6.3
5. 5Zigen -3.4

PEAK Torque:
1. Stillen 7.3
2. Injen 5.1
3. Nismo 4.5
4. Borla 2.7
5. 5Zigen 0.2

If I had to do it all over again and had the extra cash, I would go with the Stillen since it has a good average across the board.

And Havok_RLS2, people were totally being too harsh on you. Always give your opinion on the board. Don't let a few people who attack you personally desuade you not to make posts. We are in a forum, people. We are here to discuss and debate. Try not to make it personal.

Last edited by ZlleH; 09-04-2005 at 07:20 AM.
Old 09-04-2005, 09:16 AM
HyperSprite
Mad Scientist

Originally Posted by ZlleH
Sport Z Magazine:
And Havok_RLS2, people were totally being too harsh on you. Always give your opinion on the board. Don't let a few people who attack you personally desuade you not to make posts. We are in a forum, people. We are here to discuss and debate. Try not to make it personal.
It was never personal with me, nor was I even remotely upset at any point, I tried debating with him but he came into this thread so ill prepared.

Havok_RLS2 took a fine thread and added this
I think the nismo exhaust is nothing more that a nissan clone of the stock in a shiny stainless steel finish. I wouldn't have expected any gains at all. I hope you got it on sale
How was that not harsh to Navygold in the first place. I simply posted the stats of the systems and the differences etc. Then he posted more incorrect supporting information and seemed upset about being called out about it.

If he had said "I don't like the Nismo because I think it looks to much like stock" that would have been an "opinion" and entirely different. That is not what he did and by the time I called him a troll, that is exactly what he was acting like. So he deserved it.

Besides, I could give a "beep" what anyone buys and I never once said he should buy one. That is his own deal, as it is yours.

Why don't we post all the relevant system stats instead of just the peaks

Stillen
Weight......................................... 74 lbs
Tip Diameter ............................... 97mm
Piping Diameter .......................... 60mm
Sound Decibel at Idle.................... 84db
Sound Decibel at 3K rpm.............. 93db
Peak Horsepower .............................8.1
Peak Torque .....................................7.3

Nismo
Weight..........................................54 lbs
Tip Diameter ............ oval, 96 x 107mm
Piping Diameter .......................... 76mm
Sound Decibel at Idle ....................84db
Sound Decibel at 3K rpm ..............95db
Peak Horsepower .............................6.3
Peak Torque .....................................4.5

Borla
Weight..........................................52 lbs
Tip Diameter ............................. 105mm
Sound Decibel at Idle ....................88db
Sound Decibel at 3K rpm ..............92db
Peak Horsepower .............................8.2
Peak Torque ...................................2.72

There is more than one reason for anyone to buy just about anything and 20lb was enough to keep me from buying stillen and a loss of torque, the borla. But that is just me.

I understand your thought process but people who don't know read your information (which is wrong) mixed in with opinion and then form their own based on that. Many people don't get a chance to actually shop around for parts and buy solely on word of mouth. You saying the nismo doesn't have proven gains yet the borla does is completely wrong there is no opinion about it. Also saying its the same as stock is completely wrong, once again no opinion about it. So while i do understand you may feel hurt we are trying to protect the two things that makes these forums a worth while read, truth and content.
Gatti-man hit the nail on the head with his post.

Chris
Old 09-04-2005, 09:52 AM
ZlleH

Maybe it's because I can't understand the grammar of that sentence that well, but what do you mean the loss of torque on the Borla? A loss of torque would be a negative. The Borla gain 2.72 TQ as stated by your post. A difference of 1.72 from the nismo TQ peak.

Originally Posted by HyperSprite
There is more than one reason for anyone to buy just about anything and 20lb was enough to keep me from buying stillen and a loss of torque, the borla. But that is just me.

Chris
Old 09-04-2005, 11:46 AM
da45king

Originally Posted by HyperSprite
It was never personal with me, nor was I even remotely upset at any point, I tried debating with him but he came into this thread so ill prepared.

Havok_RLS2 took a fine thread and added this

How was that not harsh to Navygold in the first place. I simply posted the stats of the systems and the differences etc. Then he posted more incorrect supporting information and seemed upset about being called out about it.

If he had said "I don't like the Nismo because I think it looks to much like stock" that would have been an "opinion" and entirely different. That is not what he did and by the time I called him a troll, that is exactly what he was acting like. So he deserved it.

Besides, I could give a "beep" what anyone buys and I never once said he should buy one. That is his own deal, as it is yours.

Why don't we post all the relevant system stats instead of just the peaks

Stillen
Weight......................................... 74 lbs
Tip Diameter ............................... 97mm
Sound Decibel at Idle.................... 84db
Sound Decibel at 3K rpm.............. 93db
Peak Horsepower .............................8.1
Peak Torque .....................................7.3

Nismo
Weight..........................................54 lbs
Tip Diameter ............ oval, 96 x 107mm
Piping Diameter .......................... 76mm
Sound Decibel at Idle ....................84db
Sound Decibel at 3K rpm ..............95db
Peak Horsepower .............................6.3
Peak Torque .....................................4.5

Borla
Weight..........................................52 lbs
Tip Diameter ............................. 105mm
Sound Decibel at Idle ....................88db
Sound Decibel at 3K rpm ..............92db
Peak Horsepower .............................8.2
Peak Torque ...................................2.72

Gatti-man hit the nail on the head with his post.

Chris
yeah It says injen is the better than nismo
Old 09-04-2005, 12:39 PM
HyperSprite
Mad Scientist

Originally Posted by ZlleH
Maybe it's because I can't understand the grammar of that sentence that well, but what do you mean the loss of torque on the Borla? A loss of torque would be a negative. The Borla gain 2.72 TQ as stated by your post. A difference of 1.72 from the nismo TQ peak.
Your right on the borla, it was not a loss, just less gain in comparison to the rest of the systems compared. My bad.

Originally Posted by da45king
yeah It says injen is the better than nismo
Do remember that the Injen system tested was the older angle tip (tested without the removable restricter silencers), the newer straight tip Injen systems have build in restricter silencers inside the back boxes and the shootout numbers do not apply to them.

Chris
Old 09-04-2005, 01:18 PM
HyperSprite
Mad Scientist

You know, thinking about it. I can't let the Borla thing go at my lame excuse for not buying it. This is the real reason...

When at one of the club events, I was showing my wife various exhaust systems. I had the Injen at the time and for me the torque loss was ridiculous, anytime I stepped on it at all bellow 3k the car would just bog. For my wife, it was too loud, especially at lower rpm, so for the both of us it was just not the right fit.

Anyway, so I am showing her systems because there were examples of just about everything and when we got to the Borla she said, where is the muffler and why are those cheap looking tips inside the chrome ones (referring to the inner thin wall tips)? To that I had no reply, especially when every other system we had seen was stainless in nice looking in one way or another. That somehow stuck in my mind and from that time on the Borla just did not really spark my interest. I even had an offer from Bubble for a trade for my Injen and I just could not do it even though I respect the borla for it's performance.

Sure you can rip on me for letting my wife have influence in my purchase decisions but at least she supports my modding ways and I don't have to hide them from her.

Chris
Old 09-04-2005, 04:11 PM
scrapy

i had the jwt 500 espelir inatalled i did not dyno before i put it on but i pulled the dyno graphs they had and it claimed 6hp to wheels and 6tq to the wheels. i cant even hear the deep growl until wot. can someone who was smarter than me tell me baseline dyno numbers just a round figure evey car will be a little different thanks
Old 09-04-2005, 04:33 PM
scrapy

sorry that was the jgt 500 espelir
Old 09-05-2005, 05:33 PM
LunchMeatMonste

I bought my car new from the dealer with the Nismo exhaust already on (I installed the Nismo CAI same week), and honestly I'm not that impressed with the performance, although the sound is incredibly sexy. Fell in love with that from the get-go. But here are some facts I'll just throw out there:

My first dyno run, car was about a week old: 227.3 rwhp (best out of 3 runs)
2nd dyno run, car about a year old: 234 rwhp.

No mods added between dynos, just regular driving, a couple trips to the track, that's about it.

From what I hear from a few people, the Greddy Evo II exhaust is supposed to be one of the better ones for the Z (sound and performance-wise), so that just might be in her future.
Old 09-05-2005, 06:57 PM
Roger V

Originally Posted by LunchMeatMonste
I bought my car new from the dealer with the Nismo exhaust already on (I installed the Nismo CAI same week), and honestly I'm not that impressed with the performance, although the sound is incredibly sexy. Fell in love with that from the get-go. But here are some facts I'll just throw out there:

My first dyno run, car was about a week old: 227.3 rwhp (best out of 3 runs)
2nd dyno run, car about a year old: 234 rwhp.

No mods added between dynos, just regular driving, a couple trips to the track, that's about it.

From what I hear from a few people, the Greddy Evo II exhaust is supposed to be one of the better ones for the Z (sound and performance-wise), so that just might be in her future.

Better sounding then the Nismo?

Pleaseeee.....does anyone have any soundclips that are better then the ones on everything350z. I think I am just going to go to a meet and ask to hear peoples exhausts so I can decide on which I want.
Old 09-05-2005, 07:59 PM
gatti-man

Originally Posted by Roger V
Better sounding then the Nismo?

Pleaseeee.....does anyone have any soundclips that are better then the ones on everything350z. I think I am just going to go to a meet and ask to hear peoples exhausts so I can decide on which I want.
Make sure you go for a ride with them then bc hearing an exhaust rev sounds totally different then when the car is under load and when you are actually inside driving it.