Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Nismo cat-back installed

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2005, 12:35 PM
Navygold

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nismo cat-back installed

I just got my car back today after having my Nismo cat-back installed. For those that say they can "feel" the 6 HP, I'm going to have say BS. I doubt anyone could ever "feel" 6 HP in a car that weighs this much.

As far as the sound is concerned, though, it's pretty sweet. Just the right combo of "umph" and purr that I was looking for. Riding along on the highway you can't even hear it. Step on the gas, though, and you can definitely hear the dull rumble from the exhaust.

And before you ask...No, I don't have a sound clip of before and/or after. I can't speak for any other exhaust, but this one just seems to complement the car perfectly. Hmm, go figure...an exhaust made by Nissan complementing a Nissan automobile. Who woulda thunk it?
Old 09-02-2005, 12:53 PM
Havok_RLS2

Originally Posted by Navygold
I just got my car back today after having my Nismo cat-back installed. For those that say they can "feel" the 6 HP, I'm going to have say BS. I doubt anyone could ever "feel" 6 HP in a car that weighs this much.

As far as the sound is concerned, though, it's pretty sweet. Just the right combo of "umph" and purr that I was looking for. Riding along on the highway you can't even hear it. Step on the gas, though, and you can definitely hear the dull rumble from the exhaust.

And before you ask...No, I don't have a sound clip of before and/or after. I can't speak for any other exhaust, but this one just seems to complement the car perfectly. Hmm, go figure...an exhaust made by Nissan complementing a Nissan automobile. Who woulda thunk it?
Personally I think the nismo exhaust is nothing more that a nissan clone of the stock in a shiny stainless steel finish. I wouldn't have expected any gains at all. I hope you got it on sale.
Old 09-02-2005, 12:53 PM
skink

I just had my Nismo exhaust installed today as well. I have to agree I can't really feel a noticeable difference in performance, but I am in love with the look and sound. It fits the car perfectly.
Old 09-02-2005, 04:31 PM
HyperSprite
Mad Scientist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Havok_RLS2
Personally I think the nismo exhaust is nothing more that a nissan clone of the stock in a shiny stainless steel finish. I wouldn't have expected any gains at all. I hope you got it on sale.
Than you have never seen a Nismo system.

Calsonic system (stock)
2 1/8" on the Y branches and 2 3/8 the rest of the way back and is not mandrel bent. The Y design is short and the merge is ugly.
The tips are short and round and end abruptly at the muffler.

The Nismo system
2 3/8 on the Y branches and 3" the rest of the way and is mandrel bent. Like the rest of the Nismo system the Y design has very smooth bends and the merge is smoother.
The tips are larger and oval and taper in to the piping coming out of the muffler. The rear box is also smaller than the stock system and the whole thing weighs less than stock.

It's not the same but you can tell yourself anything you like.

Chris
Old 09-02-2005, 05:36 PM
NYC_G35C

the NISMO exhaust is not actually even designed, engineered, or produced by Nissan in any way.

the exhaust is produced by Fujitsubo, the largest Japanese aftermarket exhaust manufacturer. they manufacture their own exhausts, as well as the ones for all the "factory" performance brands like NISMO, TRD, RalliArt, etc.

there are very slight differences between the Fujitsubo exhaust and the NISMO, mainly the size of the tips, but mechanically they are identical. NISMO simply slaps their name on it and jacks up the price. (kinda the same way that the NISMO intake is actually designed by AEM and rebranded as a NISMO IIRC)

that being said, on the G35 coupe, many exhausts trade low end torque in favor for high rpm horsepower. the Fujitsubo exhaust was one of the few that actually RETAINED the low end torque AND added a few high end HP, so i expect the NISMO would perform similarly on a 350z.

sorry to go on endlessly, but i have done alot of research on exhausts for my G and it has pointed me to Fujitsubo/NISMO... retains the stock exhaust "flavor" but sounds louder and more agressive, OEM looking fit and finish, and a decent gain (no exhaust for this platform will gain you very much hp)
Old 09-02-2005, 08:36 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

here is a shot of the NISMO Exhaust...

Old 09-02-2005, 09:02 PM
Havok_RLS2

Originally Posted by HyperSprite
Than you have never seen a Nismo system.

Calsonic system (stock)
2 1/8" on the Y branches and 2 3/8 the rest of the way back and is not mandrel bent. The Y design is short and the merge is ugly.
The tips are short and round and end abruptly at the muffler.

The Nismo system
2 3/8 on the Y branches and 3" the rest of the way and is mandrel bent. Like the rest of the Nismo system the Y design has very smooth bends and the merge is smoother.
The tips are larger and oval and taper in to the piping coming out of the muffler. The rear box is also smaller than the stock system and the whole thing weighs less than stock.

It's not the same but you can tell yourself anything you like.

Chris
It's sounds to me like you should be selling them. Oh! FYI. I almost purchassed the NISMO cat-back system on my car as an option until the salesman at Passport Nissan in MD showed me one he just so happen to have in there parts department and compared it against the system on the car already. $1100.00 for a system that's almost identical in design as the stock system with the VERY FEW exception you've made is a waste of money IMO. Both the Borla system and stillen can be purchassed for less than the NISMO and DO show consistant gains on the dynos. NISMO make good sound. I'm not about paying good money for parts just because they sound good on my car.
With that having been said I'll leave you to brew a while with your NISMO cataloge. Good day sir.

Last edited by Havok_RLS2; 09-02-2005 at 09:05 PM.
Old 09-02-2005, 09:16 PM
Havok_RLS2

Originally Posted by NYC_G35C
the NISMO exhaust is not actually even designed, engineered, or produced by Nissan in any way.

the exhaust is produced by Fujitsubo, the largest Japanese aftermarket exhaust manufacturer. they manufacture their own exhausts, as well as the ones for all the "factory" performance brands like NISMO, TRD, RalliArt, etc.

there are very slight differences between the Fujitsubo exhaust and the NISMO, mainly the size of the tips, but mechanically they are identical. NISMO simply slaps their name on it and jacks up the price. (kinda the same way that the NISMO intake is actually designed by AEM and rebranded as a NISMO IIRC)

that being said, on the G35 coupe, many exhausts trade low end torque in favor for high rpm horsepower. the Fujitsubo exhaust was one of the few that actually RETAINED the low end torque AND added a few high end HP, so i expect the NISMO would perform similarly on a 350z.

sorry to go on endlessly, but i have done alot of research on exhausts for my G and it has pointed me to Fujitsubo/NISMO... retains the stock exhaust "flavor" but sounds louder and more agressive, OEM looking fit and finish, and a decent gain (no exhaust for this platform will gain you very much hp)
Thanks for helping to make my point clear.
Old 09-02-2005, 09:20 PM
cvt

It's sounds to me like you should be selling them. Oh! FYI. I almost purchassed the NISMO cat-back system on my car as an option until the salesman at Passport Nissan in MD showed me one he just so happen to have in there parts department and compared it against the system on the car already. $1100.00 for a system that's almost identical in design as the stock system with the VERY FEW exception you've made is a waste of money IMO. Both the Borla system and stillen can be purchassed for less than the NISMO and DO show consistant gains on the dynos. NISMO make good sound. I'm not about paying good money for parts just because they sound good on my car.
With that having been said I'll leave you to brew a while with your NISMO cataloge. Good day sir.
actually the nismos are cheaper than the stillens....and Z mag did a exhaust shoot out...nismo made around 2hp less than borla and stillen i beleive while 5zigen lost peak hp...
Old 09-02-2005, 09:31 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default The NISMO cat back is one of my favorites. Congratulations.

Concerning your “butt dyno,” maybe its just not as sensitive as that of other members?
Old 09-02-2005, 09:33 PM
Havok_RLS2

Originally Posted by cvt
actually the nismos are cheaper than the stillens....and Z mag did a exhaust shoot out...nismo made around 2hp less than borla and stillen i beleive while 5zigen lost peak hp...
I guess it would depend on where you buy. I can find stillen systems on the net all day long between $900 and $1000 on froogle and other sites. Nismo? $1100 to as high as $1500.
Look... I'm not saying the system sucks. I'm just saying that I'd rather spend my money for something that does more than "sound good". IMHO
Old 09-02-2005, 10:22 PM
gatti-man

Hey buddy guess what ? Your completely wrong! All the tests have shown that the stillen produces more power but also more weight. The borla is a huge mess to install and you produce no torque and a few more hp so overall less POWER than the nismo. The nismo exhaust is nothing like stock. Yes it is the same design for looks sake but the piping is larger and the Y pipe bends are not nearly as extreme. Also the welding and quality is higher plus it drops like 9 lbs. Look i actually work on cars as opposed to you "looking" at them and spewing half truths all over the internet. The borla is a cheap exhaust thats why its diced up into 20 parts and the stillen is heavy and ugly. You want higher performance go HKS or all titanium but borla or stillen? NO

PS nismo has proven consisten gains in torque and hp. Torque is much more valuable than HP as you should but probably dont know. Its one of the best NA exhausts you can buy for the Z IMO.
Old 09-02-2005, 10:25 PM
HyperSprite
Mad Scientist

I guess it would depend on where you buy. I can find stillen systems on the net all day long between $900 and $1000 on froogle and other sites. Nismo? $1100 to as high as $1500.
Look... I'm not saying the system sucks. I'm just saying that I'd rather spend my money for something that does more than "sound good". IMHO
Than you should not bother buying an exhaust at all because none of them do a whole lot and if you are buying a system based on two or three peak hp over another one than you are exactly who the marketing guys were hoping for.

http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=...tillen+exhaust says 1193 is the cheapest I found, I paid $350 less for my system from a local Nissan dealership.

I don't worship Nismo, I bought the system based on all of it's merits. I just happened to have the difference handy because yesterday someone was saying that the ARK system was the same as the Nismo. A system from measurement and design truly is a copy of the stock system in piping size and short branch Y, only with SS and mandrel bends.

So you don't really know anything about the exhaust, you don't know anything about the pricing, why did you drop in on this thread so ill equipped and spout off. This board needs another troll like it needs more levels to the for sale section.

Chris
Old 09-02-2005, 10:43 PM
Havok_RLS2

Originally Posted by HyperSprite
Than you should not bother buying an exhaust at all because none of them do a whole lot and if you are buying a system based on two or three peak hp over another one than you are exactly who the marketing guys were hoping for.

http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=...tillen+exhaust says 1193 is the cheapest I found, I paid $350 less for my system from a local Nissan dealership.

I don't worship Nismo, I bought the system based on all of it's merits. I just happened to have the difference handy because yesterday someone was saying that the ARK system was the same as the Nismo. A system from measurement and design truly is a copy of the stock system in piping size and short branch Y, only with SS and mandrel bends.

So you don't really know anything about the exhaust, you don't know anything about the pricing, why did you drop in on this thread so ill equipped and spout off. This board needs another troll like it needs more levels to the for sale section.

Chris
Dude. Calm down. It's really not that deep. All I did is give my opinion of what I thought. I wasn't out to pi$$ anyone off. Least of all any fellow Z owner. You've made your point and I do repect your opinion as well as your knowledge. All I did is give my opinion and supporting thoughts on the matter and all of a sudden I'm a "Troll". Dude. Thats harsh.
Next time I'll just keep my thoughs to myself in the future. Thank you very much for putting me in my place.
Old 09-02-2005, 10:57 PM
Havok_RLS2

Originally Posted by gatti-man
Hey buddy guess what ? Your completely wrong! All the tests have shown that the stillen produces more power but also more weight. The borla is a huge mess to install and you produce no torque and a few more hp so overall less POWER than the nismo. The nismo exhaust is nothing like stock. Yes it is the same design for looks sake but the piping is larger and the Y pipe bends are not nearly as extreme. Also the welding and quality is higher plus it drops like 9 lbs. Look i actually work on cars as opposed to you "looking" at them and spewing half truths all over the internet. The borla is a cheap exhaust thats why its diced up into 20 parts and the stillen is heavy and ugly. You want higher performance go HKS or all titanium but borla or stillen? NO

PS nismo has proven consisten gains in torque and hp. Torque is much more valuable than HP as you should but probably dont know. Its one of the best NA exhausts you can buy for the Z IMO.
Geez... You guys are just plain not nice. You have no clue what I do with my car or my level of experiance in working on cars. You know... I can be wrong, it's really okay to be wrong. Not a bad thing at all. Thats how people learn from thier mistakes. It's seems that my mistake was in assuming that member on this forum would know the differance between a "Formed OPINION" and someone trying to force thier opinion on others.
I truley DO respect your opinion. All I ask is that you respect mine please. If your happy with you Nismo system I really think that cool but please don't expect me to feel the same.
Old 09-03-2005, 06:57 PM
vegaspimp
Banned

Nismo exhaust rocks..... I got mine installed 6 months ago and couldn't be happier. Makes the Z sound awesome.
Old 09-03-2005, 07:04 PM
NTRIGUE

Dude. Calm down. It's really not that deep. All I did is give my opinion of what I thought. I wasn't out to pi$$ anyone off. Least of all any fellow Z owner. You've made your point and I do repect your opinion as well as your knowledge. All I did is give my opinion and supporting thoughts on the matter and all of a sudden I'm a "Troll". Dude. Thats harsh.
Next time I'll just keep my thoughs to myself in the future. Thank you very much for putting me in my place.
Yeah we need posts in the triple-digits for your opinion to count
Old 09-03-2005, 07:27 PM
Navygold

One more thing...Another factor in my decision to get the Nismo was the warranty. And by warranty I mean that the exhaust won't do anything to the car's warranty. I've heard too many stories about how dealers try to blame things on the aftermarket exhaust, so I didn't want to risk it. I know you can argue that an exhaust doesn't affect this or that in an engine, but with the Nismo I won't have to do any argueing at all.
Old 09-03-2005, 09:22 PM
gatti-man

Geez... You guys are just plain not nice. You have no clue what I do with my car or my level of experiance in working on cars. You know... I can be wrong, it's really okay to be wrong. Not a bad thing at all. Thats how people learn from thier mistakes. It's seems that my mistake was in assuming that member on this forum would know the differance between a "Formed OPINION" and someone trying to force thier opinion on others.
I truley DO respect your opinion. All I ask is that you respect mine please. If your happy with you Nismo system I really think that cool but please don't expect me to feel the same.
I understand your thought process but people who dont know read your information (which is wrong) mixed in with opinion and then form their own based on that. Many people dont get a chance to actually shop around for parts and buy solely on word of mouth. You saying the nismo doesnt have proven gains yet the borla does is completely wrong there is no opinion about it. Also saying its the same as stock is completely wrong, once again no opinion about it. So while i do understand you may feel hurt we are trying to protect the two things that makes these forums a worth while read, truth and content.

Last edited by gatti-man; 09-03-2005 at 10:05 PM.
Old 09-04-2005, 12:59 AM
Havok_RLS2

Originally Posted by gatti-man
I understand your thought process but people who dont know read your information (which is wrong) mixed in with opinion and then form their own based on that. Many people dont get a chance to actually shop around for parts and buy solely on word of mouth. You saying the nismo doesnt have proven gains yet the borla does is completely wrong there is no opinion about it. Also saying its the same as stock is completely wrong, once again no opinion about it. So while i do understand you may feel hurt we are trying to protect the two things that makes these forums a worth while read, truth and content.
Understood.

Quick Reply: Nismo cat-back installed