Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Injen Arrived - SERIOUS concerns, may not install?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2002, 05:59 PM
TJZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Ohio350z
What's the point of putting on these new air induction kits. They don't add any serious power and from the dyno results I have seen they don't do a damm thing. Why risk water intake into your car when the thing doesn't improve performance.
it's a bolt-on. it's cheap. 8hp here and there add up. If you don't think it's worth it you should just stop reading now. Bolt-on's are not for you.

Also, all this talk of hydrolock is just hype. The chance of this happening is extremely minimal.

Last edited by TJZ; 12-18-2002 at 06:04 PM.
Old 12-18-2002, 07:57 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you must do some bolt ons before moving onward. of course gains are minimal, but they are through the whole power band, which is a good bit of performance improvement.

then again, intakes are useless with a turbo. but untill turbos come around, the intakes lots of fun sounds good, looks nice. and a few extra hp is always good.you paid 30000grand for 287hp, 300$ for 5 hp is cheap.
Old 12-18-2002, 08:54 PM
SKiDaZZLe
Charter Member #34

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by ares
you must do some bolt ons before moving onward. of course gains are minimal, but they are through the whole power band, which is a good bit of performance improvement.

then again, intakes are useless with a turbo. but untill turbos come around, the intakes lots of fun sounds good, looks nice. and a few extra hp is always good.you paid 30000grand for 287hp, 300$ for 5 hp is cheap.
2 things i disagree with:

1) you dont need bolt ons before moving forward... i am planning to go the greddy turbo kit... from the intake to the exhaust and all in between... why do i need any other intake?

2) i paid closer to $37,000 for a piece of art, and a really fun automobile. not for 287hp.

m

oh yeah, who paid $30,000,000 for thier Z?
Old 12-18-2002, 09:14 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hehe I knew number 2 would come up, and your right. as for number one, a turbo kit coming with a included exhaust is news to me, ussually they might offer a very free flowing exhaust tuned for the turbo, but its typicly not REQUIRED, so its a seperate option that could be bought by itself.

and I did say intakes were useless, as well as headers, but you can sell them down the road when you get the turbo. for me, 300$ is doable, but Im a ways away from 6grand of more for the turbo kit. Ill play with what I can now, and keep saving for the holy grail.
Old 12-19-2002, 07:00 PM
TJZ

Exhaust wont be included in the greddy turbo kit.
Old 12-19-2002, 07:05 PM
Monkey Man

Originally posted by TJZ
Exhaust wont be included in the greddy turbo kit.
You are correct. I don't think I have ever seen a turbo kit which included an exhaust for that matter. The Greddy Evo should be available in Febuary.

-Jeremy
Old 12-19-2002, 07:18 PM
SKiDaZZLe
Charter Member #34

my point was i will wait to buy the greddy turbo kit, then supplement any parts necessary with the appropriate ones from greddy...

i might get the evolution sooner, but jeremy will know first.

m
Old 12-20-2002, 02:07 AM
z461

Originally posted by sdpearso
What is your experience with this intake? What's the butt-dyno tell you? How does it sound?
Butt dyno tells me it feels a LOT more than the 5-6RWHP increase.. feels more like a 10RWHP increase to me... The car runs a LOT quicker and pulls significantly harder from all over the powerband, especially in the upper ranges.
Old 12-21-2002, 01:30 PM
daddy Z

Originally posted by chazzg
The Way the Z's stock air flow is routed from the botom front of the car and tunled up right in to the front it workes just as Good As a CAI And it sounds great. Very noticeable and good power +3-5 Rhp And +4-5 Lbs torque ( ill confirm that after dyno) Its also Only $140.
It was for this reason I just got the replacement K&N filter.

Only $45 , you can do it yourself , and it gets the same gain in hp and torgue. Of coarse you don't get the funny sound
Old 12-21-2002, 02:24 PM
TJZ

Originally posted by daddy Z
It was for this reason I just got the replacement K&N filter.

Only $45 , you can do it yourself , and it gets the same gain in hp and torgue. Of coarse you don't get the funny sound
and you get a loss of hp when your engine heats up.
Old 12-21-2002, 02:31 PM
daddy Z

Originally posted by TJZ
and you get a loss of hp when your engine heats up.
a loss as compaired to the regular filter .. I don't think so. Now if you are compairing it to the injen then maybe. If you are compairing to the wolf pop then no way.

The stock box does a better job then that piece of tin they call a heat shield.
Old 12-21-2002, 02:36 PM
TJZ

a loss as compaired to the regular filter .. I don't think so. Now if you are compairing it to the injen then maybe. If you are compairing to the wolf pop then no way.

The stock box does a better job then that piece of tin they call a heat shield.
whatever, once someone does a before and after dyno K&N filter owners will be disappointed.
Old 12-21-2002, 03:05 PM
wadd3456

Some of you guys are just plain out "couch mechanics". Please have use a bit of personal experience and intuition before making comments about performance gains.

Ive thrown enough money into my cars to know.....
- The injen WILL increase HP
- It will not loose HP when hot. Its sucking air from in the grill, not next to the engine.

Old 12-21-2002, 03:07 PM
TJZ

Originally posted by wadd3456
Some of you guys are just plain out "couch mechanics". Please have use a bit of personal experience and intuition before making comments about performance gains.

- It will not loose HP when hot. Its sucking air from in the grill, not next to the engine.

I was talking about the K&N filter. I happen to like CAI's.
Old 12-21-2002, 03:09 PM
wadd3456

TJZ, not you man

I was referring to the skeptics
Old 12-21-2002, 03:11 PM
TJZ

TJZ, not you man

I was referring to the skeptics
ok, just making sure .
Old 12-21-2002, 03:45 PM
daddy Z

I think I have a little more expertice then the average couch mechanics. I have been building engines and racing cars for over 25 years. I can tell you right now that the K&N will make as much or more hp then the wolf pop and will be less influenced by heat then the pop. I also have had a lot of experience with the Injen via racing an RSX type S with one for the past year. It was very much subjected to the effect of heat. Please, really look at where the filter is getting its air from in the pic attached. Nissan did a very good job in both its intake and exhaust on the Z.

I just don't want people to think that throwing money at the Z is going to get them the rewards people making a buck tell them.

Last edited by daddy Z; 04-09-2008 at 05:06 AM.
Old 12-21-2002, 04:06 PM
wadd3456

Ok, i just re-read what you posted. You do favor the injen, not the pop. Ok, im in 100% agreement.

RSX-S huh? My buddy has one and from what I understand, most of your intakes wind up sucking hot air right back in. THen they went to heat shields and they kept breaking. Lordy. Did you use one like that?

I know that when his car heats up it doenst run quite as strong.
Old 12-21-2002, 04:19 PM
daddy Z

RSX-S huh? My buddy has one and from what I understand, most of your intakes wind up sucking hot air right back in. THen they went to heat shields and they kept breaking. Lordy. Did you use one like that?
thats right and Injen never would address the problem to anyones satisfaction. It made good hp when it was cold but next to non when it got hot.
I didn't have the problem since I was cooling my own air via N2O
Attached Thumbnails Injen Arrived - SERIOUS concerns, may not install?-nxswitch.jpg  
Old 12-21-2002, 08:30 PM
TJZ

thats right and Injen never would address the problem to anyones satisfaction. It made good hp when it was cold but next to non when it got hot.
I didn't have the problem since I was cooling my own air via N2O
I think i have to clarify that injen NEVER made a CAI for the RSX/RSX-S. They have only made a SRI. The problem with losing power once the engine heats up will happen to anything taking air from under the hood. That is why we want to buy a CAI, b/c it takes in cold air from outside. Luckily injen and aem have both made true CAI's for us, so we wont be faced with what the RSX-S owners have.

Quick Reply: Injen Arrived - SERIOUS concerns, may not install?