Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Injen Arrived - SERIOUS concerns, may not install?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2002, 03:57 PM
z461

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Injen Arrived - SERIOUS concerns, may not install?

I got my Injen intake today as well, thanks much to Jeremy over at Street Sports. At first I had ordered the AEM, but saw that the Injen made a teeeenie weeenie bit more power, so I switched over. However, after opening it up and looking at the instruction booklet, I am a bit apprehensive. The final picture shows the completed installation, with the filter smack dab RIGHT BEHIND the front horizontal slats of the grille. Now it was raining pretty hard today in Los Angeles, and it got me to thinking, isn't that a pretty risky location what with water going straight into the grille like when driving on the freeway or just water being splashed? I wish I had my digicam w/ me to show you guys what I mean, but the open air element filter is basically placed right behind the open grille with the cold air setup. It's not covered AT ALL from the front except by the horizontal slats spaced like 3/4 inch apart. Does anyone know what the AEM setup looks like compared to this? Maybe I will cut down the length of the tube so it won't run as far down... we'll see..
Old 12-16-2002, 04:01 PM
TJZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Injen Arrived - SERIOUS concerns, may not install?

Originally posted by z461
I got my Injen intake today as well, thanks much to Jeremy over at Street Sports. At first I had ordered the AEM, but saw that the Injen made a teeeenie weeenie bit more power, so I switched over. However, after opening it up and looking at the instruction booklet, I am a bit apprehensive. The final picture shows the completed installation, with the filter smack dab RIGHT BEHIND the front horizontal slats of the grille. Now it was raining pretty hard today in Los Angeles, and it got me to thinking, isn't that a pretty risky location what with water going straight into the grille like when driving on the freeway or just water being splashed? I wish I had my digicam w/ me to show you guys what I mean, but the open air element filter is basically placed right behind the open grille with the cold air setup. It's not covered AT ALL from the front except by the horizontal slats spaced like 3/4 inch apart. Does anyone know what the AEM setup looks like compared to this? Maybe I will cut down the length of the tube so it won't run as far down... we'll see..
I wouldn't worry about it as long as you don't plan on completely submerging your car. AEM probably puts theres in a very similar location (i would imagine, although im not sure). I remember somewhere that you can not install part of the injen and it can function as a SRI if you want it to. Keep in mind that putting it there will get the best air.
Old 12-16-2002, 04:06 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah, this is probably why they made it dual purpose as a short ram intake, you could keep it in that form unless you know a stretch of dry weather is coming, or your going racing or something.
Old 12-16-2002, 04:10 PM
z461

Changing it out involves taking off the entire bumper... I don't feel like doing that everytime it's going to rain for several days..lol. Doesn't the AEM have some sort of mechanism to prevent the filter from sucking up water?
Old 12-16-2002, 04:21 PM
TJZ

Originally posted by z461
Changing it out involves taking off the entire bumper... I don't feel like doing that everytime it's going to rain for several days..lol. Doesn't the AEM have some sort of mechanism to prevent the filter from sucking up water?
AEM sells a bypass valve for their CAIs. But again, it's pointless. Unless you driving in water high enough to completely submerge it, chances are slim that you can hydrolock your engine.
Old 12-16-2002, 04:25 PM
Vincey2kr1

Is the cone filter exposed? I mean is there some type of plastic shroud incasing the mushroom type filter ?
Old 12-16-2002, 04:29 PM
Vincey2kr1

nm just saw the pictures above.. I wouldn't worry about the engine actually sucking up water, but more so of the filter become filthy and ruined.
Old 12-16-2002, 05:03 PM
insaneamine
Inventor
Z-Xtreme.com

Default Here ya go

Hey z461,

Here is a photo of the manual.
Attached Thumbnails Injen Arrived - SERIOUS concerns, may not install?-dscf0005.jpg  
Old 12-16-2002, 05:22 PM
SKiDaZZLe
Charter Member #34

Default Re: Re: Injen Arrived - SERIOUS concerns, may not install?

Originally posted by VQracer
Hey man, nothing to worry about. Little rain isn't going to hurt your engine unless it's completely flooded and the filter is actually in water (submerged). I've never heard of such problems with CAI unless the person drove into a flood or deep snow.
a little water (fine, fine, mist) will not hurt the engine, it will simply get evaporated in the combustion chamber
i dont know much of the nissan MAF, but on the subaru, it was extremely sensitive to water... just something to point out.

m
Old 12-16-2002, 05:33 PM
alex30327

I guess that with this filter, it woul dbe a bad idea to drive on a dirt road, or any road that is extremely dusty. With this set up, you will have to clean the air filter quite often.
Old 12-16-2002, 05:35 PM
ares
Veteran

you could always fabricate a shield to put around it like incase it from the front sides and bottom, just leave the top open. and mount it on the filter. make it out of thin sheet metal. bend it however you want. use a clamp or something to hold it in place.

you could use a mesh too, like gutter gaurd. that would stop leaves and rocks from hitting it. have both and use each for your various needs.

yes it would impair your power, but should be easier to remove. for when you want. while it would be easier, youd have to get to it... which might be tricky. if you could remove the black slits itd be simple. can you?
Old 12-16-2002, 05:43 PM
wadd3456

......it will be fine.

I drove my avenger with the filter less then 4" off the ground. A couple times I drove it in 4"+ of water at high speeds (90+) and dead stopped. It was fine. ONE TIME it sucked in water and the car stalled...........started back up. But one time outta 3 years aint bad.
Old 12-16-2002, 06:00 PM
fdao

At that location, you will most likely not get hydrolock, but definitely alot more dirt, thus leading to more frequent cleaning.

Personally, the location of the Injen looks ghetto. I, personally, would just stick to the stock intake for now. Discrete and highly functional.
Old 12-16-2002, 06:06 PM
webcarconnection

Default Re: Here ya go

Originally posted by insaneamine
Hey z461,

Here is a photo of the manual.
Hey guys, what about that Exhaust system from injen? its that for the 350Z?
Old 12-16-2002, 06:10 PM
TJZ

Originally posted by fdao
At that location, you will most likely not get hydrolock, but definitely alot more dirt, thus leading to more frequent cleaning.

Personally, the location of the Injen looks ghetto. I, personally, would just stick to the stock intake for now. Discrete and highly functional.
Why ghetto? The whole purpose of a CAI is to get air from outside the hood. This looks like the optimum position.
Old 12-16-2002, 06:11 PM
wadd3456

Nah it wont be ghetto in person. Keep in mind the camera is 10" away from the grill. Most likely with a FLASH and shot in about 5" off the ground.

Unless your a smurf with a miners helmet I dont think it will look ghetto.
Old 12-16-2002, 06:16 PM
webcarconnection

Default Re: Re: Re: Here ya go

Originally posted by VQracer
Yes it is. You guys now know. I tell ya..it's ugly!
what are you know about it?
Old 12-16-2002, 06:27 PM
Intrepid

I personally would not want this type of kit for a daily driver. The filter is completely exposed to the elements. Dust, dirt, insects and rain will be hitting that filter at high velocities. Will it cause damage to your engine? Probably not. But the filter will be damaged or at least will require FREQUENT cleaning.

My 1990 300ZX TT had hydrostatic lock due to water being pulled into the intakes which were VERY low on the bumper. I hit a large puddle and the water was pulled in like a vacuum cleaner totaling my engine. Granted, this is not the same situation, but intakes certainly should not be subjected to direct water contact, which will certainly happen with your Injen intake.
Old 12-16-2002, 06:47 PM
ares
Veteran

just thought of another idea, someone made a grill thing out of gutter gaurd or similair. if he used door screen material(that real fine stuff) and mounted it even behind the slits somehow, it would stop all debris from hitting your air filter and ratiatior, and also it would act as a barrier to water, the water would be atomized when it hit it, sure it would get through thats the point, but it would be a mist not drops.
Old 12-16-2002, 07:30 PM
z461

LOL... guess I will have to fabricate something then.. I'm thinking some Home Depot style stuff should work. I'll let you guys know. Probably still go through the install and do it Wednesday. I bet what with these mixed reviews Injen isn't going to sell a lot of these.

Quick Reply: Injen Arrived - SERIOUS concerns, may not install?