Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Meshy part of the Y-pipe Flex joints damaged

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2005, 09:53 AM
sp1derm00

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Meshy part of the Y-pipe Flex joints damaged

Like the title says... my meshy part of the Y-pipe flex joints is pretty damaged...

When i was getting my HFC's installed i saw that the bottom part of the flex joints have been scraped almost completely off...

The car runs fine and there seems to be no leak...

My question is... should i switch out the Y-pipe for a new one? (I have the nismo cat-back =/)

Is it repairable?... and is it bad to run my car with this damage?

Thanks in advance
Old 10-10-2005, 10:22 AM
gatti-man

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sp1derm00
Like the title says... my meshy part of the Y-pipe flex joints is pretty damaged...

When i was getting my HFC's installed i saw that the bottom part of the flex joints have been scraped almost completely off...

The car runs fine and there seems to be no leak...

My question is... should i switch out the Y-pipe for a new one? (I have the nismo cat-back =/)

Is it repairable?... and is it bad to run my car with this damage?

Thanks in advance
is the actual metal piping underneath the mesh bent or scraped? If it is then get a new y-pipe if it isnt then i wouldnt sweat it yet. Just know in teh next 6 months you should get a new one before it becomes a real problem.
Old 10-10-2005, 10:26 AM
sp1derm00

Originally Posted by gatti-man
is the actual metal piping underneath the mesh bent or scraped? If it is then get a new y-pipe if it isnt then i wouldnt sweat it yet. Just know in teh next 6 months you should get a new one before it becomes a real problem.
The pipe isnt damaged.. not cracked or anything (or i believe the car would sound like a machine gun... like when my HFC werent tight enough...)

Just the meshy cover area...

Would i still need to replace it if the pipe isnt damaged?
Old 10-10-2005, 12:07 PM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my nismo is the same way - not that bad, but has some frayed metal parts from the flex joint mesh. No leaks that I can tell and runs fine. I'd keep it.
Old 10-10-2005, 12:46 PM
sp1derm00

Originally Posted by sentry65
my nismo is the same way - not that bad, but has some frayed metal parts from the flex joint mesh. No leaks that I can tell and runs fine. I'd keep it.
Ok cool... thanks man

Been worried about it for a bit now... just never got to posting up my problem...
Old 10-10-2005, 02:25 PM
G3po

Originally Posted by sp1derm00
Ok cool... thanks man

Been worried about it for a bit now... just never got to posting up my problem...

If you ever wanna replace the OEM y-pipe, if it ever starts leaking , you can find them for sale nearly a dime a dozen on this site and others. Most people end up throwing them out when upgradeing.
Old 10-10-2005, 03:29 PM
sp1derm00

Originally Posted by G3po
If you ever wanna replace the OEM y-pipe, if it ever starts leaking , you can find them for sale nearly a dime a dozen on this site and others. Most people end up throwing them out when upgradeing.
Heh... i have the Nismo cat-back... so it includes the Y-pipe... i still have my OEM Y-pipe, but i think if my Y-pipe ever breaks, im going w/ the JIC since most people say its the most free flowing of tyhe aftermarket Y-pipes. I just wonder if it works with the Nismo muffler (oh well, dont need to worry bout it right now if nothings broken)
Old 10-10-2005, 03:40 PM
sentry65
the burninator

another option might be to thermo wrap that section in the event that there might be a leak. I know it won't be a perfect seal or anything, but it might keep most of the exhaust air in

I'm having a JIC Y pipe put on my nismo exhaust today. Let you know how it goes. Should work just fine. I could have left the Y pipe, but I just wanted to change it anyway while I had the car on a lift
Old 10-10-2005, 04:29 PM
Acree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

please post info on any gains you experience from switching over to the JIC. i currently have an OBX y-pipe and according to my butt dyno, it didn't do much.
Old 10-10-2005, 04:33 PM
sentry65
the burninator

I'm not going to be able to isolate it with gains. If it does have much gains over the nismo, IMO it will be 1-2 hp at best

I'm having a lot of stuff done at once - one of them being the emanage ultimate, so I really won't be able to tell you if the "car pulls so much harder than before" etc hehe

I'll be able to confirm that it bolts up though - I'm 99% sure it will

here's a pic of the fubujitiso vs JIC - the nismo is identical only without the small connecting pipe in the middle
Attached Thumbnails Meshy part of the Y-pipe Flex joints damaged-jicvsnismo.jpg  

Last edited by sentry65; 10-10-2005 at 04:36 PM.
Old 10-10-2005, 06:22 PM
sp1derm00

Originally Posted by sentry65
another option might be to thermo wrap that section in the event that there might be a leak. I know it won't be a perfect seal or anything, but it might keep most of the exhaust air in

I'm having a JIC Y pipe put on my nismo exhaust today. Let you know how it goes. Should work just fine. I could have left the Y pipe, but I just wanted to change it anyway while I had the car on a lift
Sounds great! Let me know how everything goes... any changes in sound (if whatever else you're adding doesnt change the sound as well)...

If my Y-pipe ever breaks, i think im just gonna go for the JIC like you.

Thanks.
Old 10-10-2005, 07:01 PM
sentry65
the burninator

I'm not changing anything else that'll affect sound

only thing that might throw me for a bit is the pipe will be brand new and won't have a layer of carbon build up for about 50 miles or so so it'll sound maybe louder for a bit
Old 10-12-2005, 12:00 PM
sentry65
the burninator

the JIC does fit the nismo

here's this thread that's interesting
https://my350z.com/forum/forced-induction/147158-switched-to-jic-ypipe-loss-in-torque-exhaust-quieter-wtf.html

I'll post my findings from what I can tell, but power won't be something I can isolate because of the other stuff I'm having done right now.

Last edited by sentry65; 10-12-2005 at 12:15 PM.
Old 10-12-2005, 09:13 PM
sentry65
the burninator

got my car back today

the JIC pipe is cool. It's new so it's quite a bit louder (I like it) but it'll probably change in a day or two to mellow out.

No sign of rasp at all with my mods. I listened to my car go WOT a million times on the dyno - no rasp.

that's all I can say. I can't isolate just the pipe cause I had tuning and the lighter weight stoptech rotors put on.

Even so, with it new, it sounds meaner. It'll change, but it was louder than normal driving home tonight and while it was on the dyno compared to other times I dynoed.