Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Plenum spacer question

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2005, 06:43 AM
sp1kez

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plenum spacer question

I'm looking at getting a plenum spacer. Right now I'm looking at the Motordyne Engineering 5/16" spacer (maybe with the ISO thermal upgrade?) and the AAM angled spacer. Any thoughts to a preference or are they both basically the same? Does the ISO thermal upgrade make a noticeable difference (for the money its worth a try)? How is the install on these as far as time/difficulty level is concerned? Thanks for any input.
Old 11-14-2005, 06:46 AM
HarvesterUT
Premier Member

I would recommend MD simply because Tony is so invloved in teh Z community. The Iso-Thermal pgrade is not really needed IMO. I have it just to have it, thats how I am...i want to squeeze every drop of available power of the VQ, so dropping plenum temps 30-60deg helps
Old 11-14-2005, 07:03 AM
sp1kez

How was installation? I'm pretty mechanically inclined but tool access is limited at best. Do you also have the hood spacers?
Old 11-14-2005, 07:09 AM
EM-EFER

Originally Posted by sp1kez
I'm looking at getting a plenum spacer. Right now I'm looking at the Motordyne Engineering 5/16" spacer (maybe with the ISO thermal upgrade?) and the AAM angled spacer. Any thoughts to a preference or are they both basically the same? Does the ISO thermal upgrade make a noticeable difference (for the money its worth a try)? How is the install on these as far as time/difficulty level is concerned? Thanks for any input.
The install is very straight forward and easy. The ISO thermal kit techincally does help the engine in a few ways. The one key things is keeping the plenum cooler, which in turn will allow colder air to enter the motor.
Old 11-14-2005, 07:10 AM
EM-EFER

Originally Posted by sp1kez
How was installation? I'm pretty mechanically inclined but tool access is limited at best. Do you also have the hood spacers?
No hood spacers are needed with the 5/16
Old 11-14-2005, 07:37 AM
islandsnow

The install was pretty easy, there's just a damn lot of screws to keep track of. So make sure you jot down some notes if you're forgetful, to make sure you know which screw goes where. There's a couple of hoses on the throttle body and an electrical plug and I think a vacuum hose one on the upper part of the plenum, and one on the lower plenum. The hoses come off easy with a plier, the throttle body plug, i think you push down on the plastic clip and it just slides out. Put some rags around below the throttle body since once you pull off the coolant hose, coolant will come out. The thermal gasket was easy to install once this plenum was all out the way. Tony's kit comes with spacers, so if you get one of his spacers, it all comes together pretty easily. If you have the AAM spacer it's more of a chore since it's angled and you have to shave down the spacers to make it fit or you just don't use the internal spacers. When putting it back together, just make sure you don't fold the thin metal plenum gasket, i accidently folded a small section of gasket when installing the upper plenum, I was getting miss fires after that, so i took it all apart again and found the bent gasket. I just straightened it out and re-installed. Tony has good instructions on tightening the plenum bolts, just go slow and don't over torque it. Drive it around and then re-check the center 6 bolts, usually those tend to get loose and easiest to over torque. The valve to keep the coolant from entering the throttle body was easy too, slice the hose with a blade or take a 1.5" section out and slide the valve on and use the supplied compression clamps, you'll see once you get it. I think if you use the biggest spacer you will need a different strut bar and maybe even the hood spacers, you should PM Tony about fitment. It's an easy install, just take your time and don't over tighten.
Old 11-14-2005, 08:02 AM
sp1kez

Thanks for the tips everyone. Does it change the noise level of the car in any way? If its too noticable (I think that's a good thing) I'll need to prepare the excuses to the fiance about how my car is acting up and needing to take it to get looked at.
Old 11-14-2005, 08:26 AM
rct350z

hows the skunk2 plenum spacer
Old 11-14-2005, 08:30 AM
HarvesterUT
Premier Member

not alot of noise difference except at WOT. i dont know anything about the skunk2 spacer, but it looks just like the MD one, and it's 1/2" IIRC, which means you'll prolly need to lose the strut bar
Old 11-14-2005, 06:24 PM
VeeTec

I just installed the AAM angled spacer. VERY noticable difference, but you will have to make a few adjustments with the strut bar, so the hood will shut without buldging. Very tight clearance.

I love the results though, and it's a must if you have intake, exhaust, TP's.
Old 11-18-2005, 08:36 AM
rct350z

i just got my skunk2 plenum spacer put on, the stock strut bar doesnt fit the sizing on the spacer is 5/8 inch .. but top end power is crazy and it sounds like my car has a extra kick on the hihg rpms... its like vtec for the hondas..