Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Tomei Headers Turn my Z into a stock WRX???

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2005, 02:07 PM
Nocturnal

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Tomei Headers Turn my Z into a stock WRX???

I just got a set of Tomei Headers install. Still using the Factory CAT and Y-Pipe, and using the Veilside Titanium Exhaust.

The car is not much more quiet than before. The exhaust note sounds a little more solid and less annoying. The loud resonance at idle and around 2k has now been lower much more.

The car also now sounds like a factory WRX with the EJ20 Boxer Engine... The exhaust tone is like dom...dom...dom...dom...dom...

Is this what the Headers suppose to do. Really feel weird driving it, but it does sounds good at full sing around 5-6K rpm.

Tomei Headers Quality are perfect by the way. Come with headers heat wrap, stainless steel wires for the wrap, and all new Nissan gasket... The wield is also perfect...such an quality item. Oh, the 2 Expreme stick are worth an extra 5HP each, but I only use one of them.

This is an automatic daily driver, therefore the exhaust note is quite nice right now. I just wouldn't mind it back a little louder. How about a Y-pipe? Any suggestion? Thanks.
Old 12-16-2005, 02:16 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The sound of headers is difficult to describe, but enthusiasts can usually tell which cars have them and which do not. The sound that you get is what you get. For your next mod consider replacing the OEM catalytic converters.
Old 12-16-2005, 02:18 PM
teh215

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Any pics of the headers?
Old 12-16-2005, 03:07 PM
Nocturnal

Oh, I like the sound...and you can tell the difference miles away...especially at high rev. One sounds like a loud car, and the other sounds like a Ferrari...really different.

I just want it a little louder. I don't want to touch the stock CAT as it might cause problem in other areas...such as Check Engine light and raspy noise...

I like the solid noise...don't like anything raspy, and I heard even high flow CAT will make a raspy noise...

Anyone got any suggestion.

And Sorry, the Tomei headers were wrap by my installer before I got to the shop, and it is now in the car.... However, Tomei website got alot of pics, and it is really that nice looking. Including the stickers.
Old 12-16-2005, 08:36 PM
kzshin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow, so the Tomei JDM header fits our USDM Z??? Cuz I heard Fujitsubo header only fits JDM Z.

By the way, is installation easy or hard compare to....say like NISMO, and DC???

Sounds like WRX?? The wrx has that boom boom boom sounds, is cuz their stock exhaust manifold is unequal length. Is tomei's header unequal length??

Last edited by kzshin; 12-16-2005 at 08:46 PM.
Old 12-16-2005, 08:45 PM
Havok_RLS2

Pics? Links? price?
Old 12-16-2005, 10:42 PM
godmans

if you check his link
he is from macau (near HK)
which has JDM 350z (also known as Z33)
but not the USDM 350z that we have..
Old 12-17-2005, 03:06 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Nocturnal
I don't want to touch the stock CAT as it might cause problem in other areas...such as Check Engine light and raspy noise...

If your interested in performance, consider high-flow catalytic converters: they are designed to increase exhaust gas flow and satisfy emission requirements.
Old 12-17-2005, 05:20 AM
lowrider

Crawford Headers, Crawford Cats, Invidia G200 with "H" Pipe. Not a hint of rasp.

Lou
Attached Thumbnails Tomei Headers Turn my Z into a stock WRX???-h-pipe0.jpg   Tomei Headers Turn my Z into a stock WRX???-painted-bumper0.jpg  
Old 12-17-2005, 06:51 AM
Nocturnal

Sorry guys, yea, I do have a Fairlady (350Z), that was imported from Japan.

Didn't know it was different. I only notice that the battery and the brake fluid cylinder on the opposite side compared to the US version of the 350Z, didn't know it was that much difference.

Yes, I have to buy all the things from JAPAN, which mean $$$

I order a set of Fuji Y-Pipe, see how that goes. The only reason I am keeping the factory stock cat is to keep the noise level down. The quality of the noise and the low end response of the car is the most important part of this car. Macau is only 9.2 square miles big, so it isn't like there is load of rooms for me to fly around in. This is another reason why the Veilside Version 3 kit is still in one piece and good condition.

The Tomei headers look just like davidv's headers. The only difference is that it doesn't have all the wield mark in the middle of the pipes like the one shown. Very shiny... before you wrap it up.

Also, I wouldn't think the Tomei headers would be unequal length... Because why would Tomei even make such thing?
Old 12-17-2005, 08:21 AM
froggy

^^^In order to get that boxer sound. More growl,rumble sounds good !
Old 12-17-2005, 10:17 AM
plumpzz

Lou this is off topic but how much did it cost you for your shop to weld in that Hpipe
Old 12-17-2005, 10:56 AM
down_shift

Have you checked for leaks? Sounds like it might be a leak.. but I dunno if those sweet headers are suppose to sound like that!
Old 12-17-2005, 11:16 AM
Nocturnal

I will put in a Y-pipe to see if it will smooth out the flow of the air.

It sounds very good, don't get me wrong. But on low rev, it really sounds like a boxer engine. But then the exhaust flow of the Z never been smooth anyways.

Another reason can be everything is equal length. But the veilside exhaust have 2 muffler and the split point to the muffler are not equal in lengh.

Another word, exhaust would get to 1 of the muffler before the other, but I can't see it causing the boxer sound.

Maybe I am just too picky, haha.

I'll let everyone know how it sounds once the Y-pipe is in.
Old 12-17-2005, 12:40 PM
lowrider

Originally Posted by plumpzz
Lou this is off topic but how much did it cost you for your shop to weld in that Hpipe
$25.00 - The pipe is stainless, and they had to form it, cut the Invidia, and fit it.

Lou