Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

New type of intake???

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2005, 10:05 AM
fireballtaft

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New type of intake???

I was interested in engineering plans for a new intake design I'm not necessarily trying to reinvent the wheel; however, I am just not intrigued by any intakes on the market today. I have begun learning the basics of fluid dynamics and will delve(spelling?) into aerodynamic basics tomorrow. Now, here is where you all come into play, I am planning on manufactruing a makeshift flowbench or find a local flowbench to test my designs. If the designs are successful, I will take pictures of the intake design and installation pictures...as well as a dyno run before and after, I think I'm getting a bit ahead of myself though. If the results are positive, was wondering if people would be interested in purchasing an intake, way down the line though. One more thing, not an expert in aerodynamics, but a couple questions for you savants out there. Would a twin filter design just create more turbulence or cause more of a tornadic, beneficial, effect. And with two filters, one could be placed in the engine, almost as a secondary breather eliminating hydrolock potential and the other in a cold air area. Would this design cause a swirl effect with the differing air temps or would it create turbulence. Also would two filters cause too much friction against the incoming air...Any help is greatly needed as my final goal is running my own performance brand for the 350z. Sorry the post is so long, but I tend to get very overzealous about new ideas. I will keep everyone interested up to date on my venture...Thank you.

Taft
Old 12-20-2005, 10:34 AM
chimmike

a dual inlet setup would cause all sorts of turbulence that the MAF would flip out when seeing.
Old 12-20-2005, 10:38 AM
LODOSS

here is what my understanding of the intake.. have some sort of space that hold a bigger volumn of air. this gives better thorrle response and if desing right can create a venturi effect...

make the air spins does help.. no matter what people say.. although products like the turbonator is not that great because it does not help the air spin at all.

I think if you can craete pipping and then create a box area like the oem box however have the opening of where the air gets sucked into the engine in the box to have fins that can help swirl the air.. thst should help out a lot.. if you think abou tit.. its like a toilet.. first of all you need to squeeze in more volumn into a smaller space in order for the spin action to really start psinning.. this should provide good tq gains down low and provide great daily driving exp.

and yes cold air does help so try to design one that can get colder air.. i would not spend so much time on trying to find a way to get the filter behind the bumper etc or wathever... too many people will worry about water and the diff is marginal. ..

last is everyone knows compressed air works.. but can't do it wihtout turbo supercharger... the term ram air.. has been used but i think in most cases incorrectly.. from my understanding ram air = having the ability to squeeze in air from outside of the car... if you can find some way to build a good size scoop that you can put right behidn the grille.. a good size scoop <bigger the beteer cause it'll provide more pressure to the smaller intake tube.. and then have a hose/rube run from that.. into the box.. .. and make sure its a good seal in between all pieces... you can even utilize like a oem replacement high flow filter.. as they really don't make too much diff.

but if you can utilizie all of these .. i think you'll have the best intake and provide the most gains throughout all RPM.
Old 12-20-2005, 10:47 AM
Audible Mayhem
My350z

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fireballtaft
I was interested in engineering plans for a new intake design I'm not necessarily trying to reinvent the wheel; however, I am just not intrigued by any intakes on the market today. I have begun learning the basics of fluid dynamics and will delve(spelling?) into aerodynamic basics tomorrow. Now, here is where you all come into play, I am planning on manufactruing a makeshift flowbench or find a local flowbench to test my designs. If the designs are successful, I will take pictures of the intake design and installation pictures...as well as a dyno run before and after, I think I'm getting a bit ahead of myself though. If the results are positive, was wondering if people would be interested in purchasing an intake, way down the line though. One more thing, not an expert in aerodynamics, but a couple questions for you savants out there. Would a twin filter design just create more turbulence or cause more of a tornadic, beneficial, effect. And with two filters, one could be placed in the engine, almost as a secondary breather eliminating hydrolock potential and the other in a cold air area. Would this design cause a swirl effect with the differing air temps or would it create turbulence. Also would two filters cause too much friction against the incoming air...Any help is greatly needed as my final goal is running my own performance brand for the 350z. Sorry the post is so long, but I tend to get very overzealous about new ideas. I will keep everyone interested up to date on my venture...Thank you.

Taft
here i will let you also know a special idea i had about 10 years ago, it would be to run one of your AC vents, out the engine bay and around your cold air intake, you could leave it on till you were going to race. it would freeze the whole intake and have colder air going into the engine at all times...

it would have to work!! just never did it, so add that to the design!!
Old 12-20-2005, 10:50 AM
LODOSS

you can go even more crazy and setup alum or copper find in the box so when air flows through it. it'll be alot cooler.. kinda like a CPU headsink.. and you can hook up a .. peltizer to it... sorry for the spelling.. but tis like a plate that can chill to extremem temeerates on one side and let the head out on the other end. probably just let the head distribution on the frame of the car.
Old 12-20-2005, 10:53 AM
knight_white99

Originally Posted by audiblemayhem
here i will let you also know a special idea i had about 10 years ago, it would be to run one of your AC vents, out the engine bay and around your cold air intake, you could leave it on till you were going to race. it would freeze the whole intake and have colder air going into the engine at all times...

it would have to work!! just never did it, so add that to the design!!

I like it! That's thinking outside the box!
Old 12-20-2005, 11:01 AM
Audible Mayhem
My350z

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by knight_white99
I like it! That's thinking outside the box!
putting my 139 iq to work there, welcome to my crazy head hehehe

now if i could just figure out how to get rich without working...
Old 12-20-2005, 11:21 AM
fireballtaft

These ideas are all great, thanks for the responses and please keep them coming...I am going to try and get some measurements today and possibly put my artistic skills to work and get a rough sketch put together. I will keep everyone posted. Is everyone in somewhat of an agreement to nix the dual filter design, i believe like you all that it would slow the speed of incoming air. Also, is the general consensus to have some sort of box/protection similar to the OEM intake filter? Thanks

Taft
Old 12-20-2005, 12:12 PM
LODOSS

follow some of the steps form the best.. ARC and you won't be dissapointed with the outcome.
Old 12-20-2005, 12:23 PM
dchi_t

Originally Posted by LODOSS
you can go even more crazy and setup alum or copper find in the box so when air flows through it. it'll be alot cooler.. kinda like a CPU headsink.. and you can hook up a .. peltizer to it... sorry for the spelling.. but tis like a plate that can chill to extremem temeerates on one side and let the head out on the other end. probably just let the head distribution on the frame of the car.
a long time ago i considered the peltizer route, i actually purchased a couple units and tried to make a prototype...but the problem is, once you run current through the unit, one side gets extremely hot and the other side extremely cold, and if you are unable to cool down the hot side fast enough, the cold side will become just as hot. that was the major problem in my peltzer idea. you'll need a good heatsink and probably a fan to cool it down enough to keep the cold side cold.
Old 12-20-2005, 03:30 PM
kosmic

Well, to keep the hot side of your peltier (no Z in the word) cool, you could attach a good PC style heatsink to it and divert some of the incoming air across it. It's probably more trouble than it's worth, though. Peltiers are tricky critters at best.

Just a more efficient cold air intake with the ability to cool the intake tube with your AC sounds like a nice combination. Keeping the tube insulated from engine bay heat is a good idea, too.
Old 12-20-2005, 03:33 PM
dchi_t

i bet you can find some excellent insulation to wrap the tube @ home depot, or even some kind of thermal spray. i just installed a popcharger, and the heat shield does a pretty good job in keeping out the heat, but heat still is able to creep in there, so with a better insulation for that plus the tube, a more effienct source of cold air could be achieved
Old 12-20-2005, 05:36 PM
LODOSS

Originally Posted by dchi_t
a long time ago i considered the peltizer route, i actually purchased a couple units and tried to make a prototype...but the problem is, once you run current through the unit, one side gets extremely hot and the other side extremely cold, and if you are unable to cool down the hot side fast enough, the cold side will become just as hot. that was the major problem in my peltzer idea. you'll need a good heatsink and probably a fan to cool it down enough to keep the cold side cold.
thast why i said you can probably find a way to attach the hot side to the frame of the car and considering how much material/metal that is.. it will only heat up a little.

also from what i have noticed.. short ram has always out perform CAI.. If you think about it.. same diametere straw and you suck through it.. which one is easier to drink out of.. the main benefit form the long cai tube is hte cold air itself.. so basically if you can get cold air into a box and then have a short extension to that box = best combo.. same principle arc follows
Old 12-20-2005, 07:23 PM
fireballtaft

Originally Posted by LODOSS
thast why i said you can probably find a way to attach the hot side to the frame of the car and considering how much material/metal that is.. it will only heat up a little.

also from what i have noticed.. short ram has always out perform CAI.. If you think about it.. same diametere straw and you suck through it.. which one is easier to drink out of.. the main benefit form the long cai tube is hte cold air itself.. so basically if you can get cold air into a box and then have a short extension to that box = best combo.. same principle arc follows
I think you both may be on to something there...I think if I was to create a divider of some sort for the filter to keep out the engine heat, similar to the other brands, and then run a line to pipe a/c possibly into the box, it would be a cold air intake with very little pipe to flow through...However, fumbling with a/c seems very complicated, I will look into it and see what is involved in that. I might mull over some ideas about locating a vent of some sort to keep it cool with the ambient temperature. I'm beginning to have doubts about this endeavor, but we shall see what unfolds.