Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

smoke after test pipes....

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2005, 05:06 AM
cracka350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default smoke after test pipes....

had em in since last thursday, it wasnt smoking till like 2 days ago......and now it smokes bad...no oil smell, coolant smell, or loss of power. feels stronger but the smoke is embarassing....makes it look ghetto. i dont mind the shot when i get on it, but when i come to a stop all this smoke just comes out. plz...tell me what your ideas are and if i should just give up and put the stock stuff back on. i like the smell lol and the sound, and i dont mind the small bit of smoke puff when i get on it. opinions plz?

and this is the last one im starting about this lol
Old 12-21-2005, 05:46 AM
southern_info

I'll say give it some more time and see if the smoke dissipate.
Old 12-21-2005, 05:50 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

You replaced the catalytic converter (designed to reduce hazardous emissions) with what is essentially a piece of pipe. You can expect emissions to be different than what they were before the mod.

If the smoke continues to bother you, you can consider high-flow catalytic converters.
Old 12-21-2005, 05:54 AM
LODOSS

I had my exp with test pipes and high flows on many other cars.. test pips are only worth it if you are hardcore racer... othrewise its a pain... the noise, smoke and getting caught and be fined thousands is just not worth it. high flow cats is the way to go.. jus tmake sure you get a quality set.. otherwise the stuff inside will get messed up and it'll make weird clicking, clinging and ticking noises.. very annoying..

if you don't drag all the time.. my best sug is to leave it on there.. unless you are boosted.
Old 12-21-2005, 05:56 AM
atar350

Is this on the stock exhaust??

Hey Southern, my buddy actually just got some Megan Test Pipes, he has an HKS Ti exhaust, but do you think on a stock exhaust I would get the smoke problem, and or a check engine light?? I was hearing that if I am careful and dont damage the 02 sensors I should be fine, your opinion?
Old 12-21-2005, 06:56 AM
southern_info

Originally Posted by atar350
Is this on the stock exhaust??

Hey Southern, my buddy actually just got some Megan Test Pipes, he has an HKS Ti exhaust, but do you think on a stock exhaust I would get the smoke problem, and or a check engine light?? I was hearing that if I am careful and dont damage the 02 sensors I should be fine, your opinion?

To be honest I don't know much about the 05 computer because I've been hearing rumors in the later models throwing cel lights. I dont know what that is about but as far as the test pipes on stock exhaust system. I didn't have smoke not once, but others have so if you have this problem. Just try to ride it out and see if the smoke dissipates and if it doesn't. Then try getting a catback maybe but I don't know what dictates this smoke I've been hearing or hell you might be one of the hundreds that doesn't have smoke. I had my test pipes and exhaust on only 5 days before going to the drag strip. I beat the hell out of those pipes and I have to admit the pipes will break in a little by getting a louder. As far as your 02 sensors be careful with them. Good Luck Bro!