Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

HKS Exhaust sound clips WOT and Review!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2006, 10:55 AM
Diesel350

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HKS Exhaust sound clips WOT and Review!!

This exhaust is just amazing in how it sounds and the way it was constructed. Driving around cruising it's same as stock but when you punch it, it has this exotic sound to it. Like many other HKS owners I feel like this exhaust is worth every penny. I did not get a chance to weigh this system but as you can see the stock exhaust is very restrictive. We weighed the stock exhaust and it was 60 pounds.

Here are some short video clips. These are with my Canon Camera so I not sure of the quality but my buddy had a pretty nice camera that is probably better quality and I will be posting those soon too.
http://media.putfile.com/HKS-2-
http://media.putfile.com/HKS-1
http://media.putfile.com/HKS-3
Attached Thumbnails HKS Exhaust sound clips WOT and Review!!-img_0220.jpg   HKS Exhaust sound clips WOT and Review!!-img_0221.jpg   HKS Exhaust sound clips WOT and Review!!-img_0222.jpg   HKS Exhaust sound clips WOT and Review!!-img_0223.jpg  

Last edited by Diesel350; 01-28-2006 at 11:09 AM.
Old 01-28-2006, 04:04 PM
Roggan

Wow man, now thats more like it!! Propper sound clips!!

Cant wait to get mine installed!!!!

I was surprised how light the HKS system is, i was expecting it to be heavier with the dual mufflers on each side, but it wasent heavy at all!

What do you think, is it lighter then the stock single pipe system? The stock rear muffler looks really heavy...

/Roger

Last edited by Roggan; 01-28-2006 at 04:10 PM.
Old 01-28-2006, 04:25 PM
Diesel350

Originally Posted by Roggan
Wow man, now thats more like it!! Propper sound clips!!

Cant wait to get mine installed!!!!

I was surprised how light the HKS system is, i was expecting it to be heavier with the dual mufflers on each side, but it wasent heavy at all!

What do you think, is it lighter then the stock single pipe system? The stock rear muffler looks really heavy...

/Roger
From what I heard a member here weighed the HKS exhaust and it was about 15- 20 lbs lighter than stock.
Old 01-28-2006, 05:38 PM
GQ 350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

*omg* I am in love. Seriously thanks so much for this.
Old 01-28-2006, 05:50 PM
sokudo9l6

very very nice.
Old 01-29-2006, 12:07 AM
onebadfyvo

I hardly turn on the radio since my HKS install. Great sound, great looks, and a ton of compliments.
Old 01-29-2006, 02:37 AM
hitop

nice
Old 01-29-2006, 04:22 AM
Roggan

At which RPM does the exhaust peak in volume?

Most exhaust incl the stock peaks at ~5k

/Roger
Old 01-29-2006, 07:37 AM
Diesel350

Originally Posted by Roggan
At which RPM does the exhaust peak in volume?

Most exhaust incl the stock peaks at ~5k

/Roger
Yep 5k
Old 01-29-2006, 08:33 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks for the photos. I did not realize that HKS Exhaust is a dual exhaust. Sharp. Nice choice.
Old 01-29-2006, 09:38 AM
kalima275Z

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I can't wait to get this thing. It looks awesome too. I wonder how it will sound with new manifold and CAI from...MUWAHAHAHA!!!
Old 01-29-2006, 11:31 AM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

The more I see/hear this exhaust, the less I like it. Sounds just OK and looks fine, but not for 1500 bucks. I bet the new injen will sound pretty close to the same, probably a bit louder, have basically the same look and for 500 bucks less.
Old 01-29-2006, 11:39 AM
Will Pwr

The Injen one is no way comparable to the HKS, especially from an engineering and performance stand point. You can first start off at the size and quality of the piping, then you can move on to the overall construction and the welds. The new Injen might have a similar look since they now followed-suit and put Ti tips, but no way is it even close to equal of a product.....dont forget about the resonance tubes on the HKS either...they are there for a reason.
Old 01-29-2006, 11:39 AM
ActionJackson

I'd still rather get the Veilside Titanium over this one for its sound after hearing these sound clips. Exhaust does look nice though.
Old 01-29-2006, 11:44 AM
Zivman

Originally Posted by Will Pwr
The Injen one is no way comparable to the HKS, especially from an engineering and performance stand point. You can first start off at the size and quality of the piping, then you can move on to the overall construction and the welds. The new Injen might have a similar look since they now followed-suit and put Ti tips, but no way is it even close to equal of a product.....dont forget about the resonance tubes on the HKS either...they are there for a reason.
I am talking about the new upcoming injen. The two exhausts look nearly identical. They both incorporate the H-pipe, both have the same 2.5" piping, both have Ti tips, both have same style mufflers, minus the extra canister on the HKS. All I am saying, is that the HKS IMO isn't worth 1500 bucks. The Ti tips are bolted on, which IMO looks cheap. and it doesn't sound anything more than OK.

Greddy, Nismo, possibly the 3rd gen Injen exhaust all at least as good of choices IMO and all cost a good 500-800 bucks less
Old 01-29-2006, 11:48 AM
Zivman

Originally Posted by Will Pwr
Those tubes are there to control exhaust note and also I would guess them to increase back pressure.

I absolutely HATE the sound of the 2nd gen injen, but quality wise, the welds, flanges, etc were nice. Had no issue with them. The flanges were solid and thick, nice uniform Tig welds on both sides.
Old 01-29-2006, 11:55 AM
Will Pwr

Originally Posted by Zivman
I am talking about the new upcoming injen. The two exhausts look nearly identical. They both incorporate the H-pipe, both have the same 2.5" piping, both have Ti tips, both have same style mufflers, minus the extra canister on the HKS. All I am saying, is that the HKS IMO isn't worth 1500 bucks. The Ti tips are bolted on, which IMO looks cheap. and it doesn't sound anything more than OK.

Greddy, Nismo, possibly the 3rd gen Injen exhaust all at least as good of choices IMO and all cost a good 500-800 bucks less
Injen is trying to immulate the design for a reason...the do look similar, but if you look closely at it, there are substantial differences...

The amount of bends in the piping which affect exhaust flow dynamics...

The use of slip-joint clamps versus flanged ends.

Larger flex joints in the front section.

Not to mention made inhouse by a manufactuer that is a true tuner and not farmed out to another overseas company to be made.

Sorry for the rant....I know there are good exhausts are lower in cost, such as the Nismo (which I do recommend for the price point)....but it just gets me when the injen is directly compared to the HKS

Old 01-29-2006, 11:59 AM
Will Pwr

Those tubes are there to control exhaust note and also I would guess them to increase back pressure.

I absolutely HATE the sound of the 2nd gen injen, but quality wise, the welds, flanges, etc were nice. Had no issue with them. The flanges were solid and thick, nice uniform Tig welds on both sides.
Yeah, they did step up quality in thier later models...which is a good thing..Im not trying to knock the exhaust..its good...there are far worst ones and better ones too.....

I work with exhausts all day long, so I guess Im being too critical about the dynamics of each and how comparable one is to another haha
Old 01-29-2006, 12:10 PM
Diesel350

Exactly. Those tubes are there to make the exhaust note sound even better. If you have not hear this exhaust in person you need to because sound clips do not do this exhaust justice. By the way how do you know how the 3rd generation Injen sounds like? It will most likely sound just like the 2nd generation, a fart can.

And lets not even talk about gains. Not even comparable.
Old 01-29-2006, 01:31 PM
Zivman

Originally Posted by Diesel350
Exactly. Those tubes are there to make the exhaust note sound even better. If you have not hear this exhaust in person you need to because sound clips do not do this exhaust justice. By the way how do you know how the 3rd generation Injen sounds like? It will most likely sound just like the 2nd generation, a fart can.

And lets not even talk about gains. Not even comparable.
I never said the exhaust would sound the same, only that I guess it would sound similar but louder. Adding the H-pipe will do wonders to the note as well as the larger piping. On top of that, I am sure Injen revised the mufflers/resonators a bit.

I don't have problems with using slip joints in areas as long as it is done right. For example, the magnaflow slip joints on my brothers F-150 suck. The APR slip joint setup on an A4 1.8T or a GHL setup on my buddies mazda are VERY nice.

I am not saying the HKS isn't a better exhaust, just not 500-800 bucks better than the others listed.

Also, to my ears, the HKS doesn't sound like anything special. We all agree the 2nd gen Injen is Horrible, but in comparison to my APS, my former greddy, the stock setup with test pipes, nismo, and others, I would pick any of those over the HKS strictly in terms of exhaust note

Last edited by Zivman; 01-29-2006 at 01:35 PM.

Quick Reply: HKS Exhaust sound clips WOT and Review!!