Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Help with rhino ramp and exhaust installation

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2006, 06:16 PM
ahwai519

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help with rhino ramp and exhaust installation

I have a nismo exhaust waiting to be installed. I am planning to do it myself and am wondering if rhino ramp has enough clearance for me to crawl under the car for installation.

I know the installation process is quite straight-forward. The tough part is to get under the car and bolt-on the exhaust. I read a few threads here saying that it is better to have a buddy to lift the exhaust up together. My concern is that there is not much space underneath when the car is on rhino ramp. How can 2 people fit in under there??

Thanks
Old 01-29-2006, 06:34 PM
screener
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Use the ramps for the front then use jack stands to get the rear up.I always find a box the right size as my friend under the car just prop the piping on the box when the piping is in place.
Old 01-29-2006, 06:35 PM
MustGoFastR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're going to need more height. I just installed mine a few nights ago. Took me about 1.5 hours by myself. I drove the front wheels up onto a couple boards, then jacked up the rear with a floor jack under the rear diff and supported the rear on jackstands at the factory jack points. Even then, it was a tight squeeze for me to get to the Y-pipe bolts, but doable. I would have put the front up on ramps, but I am lowered with V1 lip, so I can't even get up on Rhino ramps without extra prep and a friend to help. The exhaust goes on very easy.
Old 01-29-2006, 06:57 PM
ahwai519

Thanks guys.

mustgofastr, how did you manage to lift the exhaust up all by yourself? that sucker is 70 pounds heavy....i can't imagine you have one hand holding onto the exhaust and the other hand doing the bolt tightening.....you must be really strong!!!
Old 01-30-2006, 05:16 AM
MustGoFastR

Ha, no, not really. The exhaust is not that heeavy; that's the shipping weight with box and packaging. Asside from that, you're never lifting the entire exhaust assembly; you handle each piece individually. The muffler itself probably doesn't weigh more than 35 pounds and is just a bit awkward to handle, getting it on the hangers. I'll write up the steps I went through in a bit.
Old 01-30-2006, 06:31 AM
HyperSprite
Mad Scientist
Premier Member

I did several installs with just Rhino ramps, one Nismo and three Injens and one stock. Ask Xero and Corsair, they have been there.

You don't really need the front end up for this, the Y pipe bolts are easy to get to from the sides, just lay down next to the car. Put the back of the car on the ramps and you are good to go. This will not work if you are replacing cats though, they need more room up front.

Also, getting the old system off will be a snap for your CA car, no rusty bolts but it's still not a bad idea to have some Liquid Wrench sprayed on in advance. The easy way to get the hangers off the back box is to use a pry bar or a real long screwdriver and the exhaust tubing coming out of each side of the mufflers as leverage. I usually lay underneath it so the muffler lands on my chest.

Good luck.
Chris
Old 01-30-2006, 06:51 AM
fahrenheit350

I had the most trouble with the hangers on the canister. Make sure to spray some silicone on those and watch your head.
Old 01-30-2006, 07:09 AM
MustGoFastR

Ok, here's what I did:
-Night before: spray all bolts/nuts with penetrating lube
-Lift car as described above
-Lay out and organize all tools and parts (if you don't have a 14mm deep set socket, go get one; you'll need it to get the stock exhaust off)
-loosen and remove all stock nuts working from the front of the car back
-place box under Y-pipe to support it
-remove midpipe from the back of the car (uncouple it from the muffler and pull it straight back off the Y-pipe)
-remove Y-pipe
-hose the muffler hangers with silicone spray
-Work off the front hanger, then one rear one (just takes some wiggling)
-support the loose side with your knees and work the other side off, then scoot the muufler ou the back of the car on your chest.
-Install is reverse of removal.

After installation, I noticed that my pass side tip was a bit higher than my dr side one. I took the muffler back off and bent the rear pass side hanger down about a quarter inch with a 2 ft length of pipe; looks perfect now.

Last edited by MustGoFastR; 01-30-2006 at 07:27 AM.
Old 01-30-2006, 08:06 AM
ahwai519

Thanks everyone for the tips!

Hyperspite: nice to know that I can get to the Y-pipe bolts from the sides....

Mustgofastr: really appreciate for your step-by-step write up.

Will post again after the installation in about 2 weeks........
Old 01-30-2006, 04:20 PM
YBLegal

i used it in the back wheel... and jacked up side of the car where i would slide in. and got it out that way.
simple easy job