Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Can't decide: APS or SVR; need opinions

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2006, 06:14 PM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I would get the APS setup because the test pipes APS offers allow the biggest diameter off the turbos, where it is most critical. I have no doubt, the SVR is a great esxhaust, just that it's smallest point is right were the dumps enter the exhaust itself.
Old 03-03-2006, 06:17 PM
G352NV

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does the half inch really matter for that two feet?
Old 03-03-2006, 06:25 PM
Zivman

Originally Posted by G352NV
Does the half inch really matter for that two feet?
I would definitely say yes -

It has been always my understanding that you want your exhaust like a funnel. Biggest diameter near the motor tapering to a smaller near the tail. Exhaust becomes cooler and more dense as it travels. Thus, you need the biggest diameter near the turbo outlet. Don't get me wrong, running a 3" off the dump pipes is less restrictive than a 2 or 2.5" but it is not going to match the 3.5" dumps into a 3" catback
Old 03-03-2006, 06:32 PM
overZealous1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey zivman you didn't read my post #19.

sorry to keep beating this in the ground but i just got an awesome phone call!!! 350ZNV's car just got off ther dyno at jim wolfs to retune for my 3" duals system we just put on.

previous system-injen dual exhaust 14 psi 536hp and 626 torque

SVRTech 3" duals- 554hp and 699tq!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

still got questions on the benefits of the X pipe? word!!!!!!! gained over 70 ft lbs going to a larger exhaust!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! they are still tweaking it too.

i want to see ANY other exhaust come close to giving those gains!! the bar has just been reset!!
Old 03-03-2006, 06:44 PM
overZealous1

you need to know how the X pipe works zivman. i did not spend 3 hours on making multiple jigs and welding on an X to look pretty. that is the single most expensive part of the exhaust. why do you not see it on other exhausts? BECAUSE of the fab costs. only me and burns stainless makes this style x pipe.
if you follow along i will explain it again. the firing order on the vq35 is 1-2-3-4-5-6. so the exhaust pulse goes one bank to the other. you never have 2 exhaust pulses at the same time. meaning only one exhaust pulse will flow through the X pipe at one time. plus now the pulse has 2 exits to choose from doubling the work of the resonators and mufflers. now as one pulse passes, it creates a low pressure on the other side. this constant back and forth action creates a constant low pressure before the X pipe. thus helping in scavenging, which leads to improved torque. more torque=more hp. the concept is simple. and yes it does work as evidenced on 350ZNV's car.
do a search on X pipes and see what you find out. this is proven tech in the V8 world. i am just the first to use it on the Z.
Old 03-03-2006, 07:08 PM
Zivman

Originally Posted by overZealous1
hey zivman you didn't read my post #19.

sorry to keep beating this in the ground but i just got an awesome phone call!!! 350ZNV's car just got off ther dyno at jim wolfs to retune for my 3" duals system we just put on.

previous system-injen dual exhaust 14 psi 536hp and 626 torque

SVRTech 3" duals- 554hp and 699tq!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

still got questions on the benefits of the X pipe? word!!!!!!! gained over 70 ft lbs going to a larger exhaust!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! they are still tweaking it too.

i want to see ANY other exhaust come close to giving those gains!! the bar has just been reset!!
I read all your posts and have been following this exhaust closely. I am well aware of the benefit of an X-pipe

I have nothing against your exhaust, nor did I say anything about your X-pipe setup. What I am saying is, your exhaust does not provide the diameter near the turbos that the 3.5" aps pipes do. Your exhaust comes off the 2.5" tapered dump pipes and then tapers to 3". What I am getting at is that you want to taper down off the turbos from a larger diameter, not taper up like your exhaust does.

I think your statement about the firinging order holds less importance on a turbo setup because the turbos are interupting the exhaust flow, and disrupting the pulses your X-pipe was designed to work with. On a SC or n/a setup, your X-pipe is more important.

don't take this the wrong way, but I think the setup you are referring to with gains of 70 lbs of tq isn't anything to be too proud of considering that setup was running a suffocating sub 2" dual setup. Now if you pulled those numbers in comparison to a 2.5" setup like an APS or AAM, then you have every right to pat yourself on the back. At this point, I think the exhaust looks beautiful. Those running a setup like JWT or Greddy that don't have the option of big test pipes directly off the turbos will love this exhaust. But I don't think guys that run the APS TT setup and can run the big tests pipes would give this a second look. They will take advantage of the big test pipes in the most critical point in their exhaust.
Old 03-03-2006, 07:50 PM
overZealous1

ok, i have been holding back a little but i'm not going to sit here and listen to a guy that is 18-19 that doesn't even own a Z explain to me about cars.
the turbos do not hurt or disrupt the exhaust flow. if it did your exhaust would sound like one constant tone and you would not hear any exhaust pulses at all. is that the case, of course not.

also, in your vast car experience, you would think the smaller exhaust would make more torque. in what tests have you done to have a larger exhaust build more torque. a substancial amount of torque.
jim wolfs predictions were also blown out of the water by this set up. i can't stand people that get on the forum and argue about things that they don't know the whole story about. especially a sponsors product and arguing with the sponsor.
i agree the aps is a nice set up. but you will not be able to beat the benefits of price and power of this system. if you want to prove me wrong feel free. grab your welder and start making some stuff. i have been working with a company that builds exhausts for magnaflow and many other manufacturers plus producing custom made headers for turbo systems on various other cars.
if you feel you still know more than my 18 years car experience and the other companies i work with, then i welcome the fact to prove me wrong.
Old 03-03-2006, 07:59 PM
overZealous1

aps has it advantages and mine has it's advantages. i strongly feel my advantages heavily out weigh the aps. especially now after the dyno.
Old 03-03-2006, 08:08 PM
JisNis

Pick the APS, its more bling.
Old 03-03-2006, 08:45 PM
XBS
Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

but but but.... the APS is BIIGGGEER!!

j/K
Old 03-03-2006, 08:58 PM
overZealous1

Originally Posted by XBS
but but but.... the APS is BIIGGGEER!!

j/K
i know you know better george, hahhaa.
Old 03-04-2006, 04:12 AM
Zivman

Originally Posted by overZealous1
ok, i have been holding back a little but i'm not going to sit here and listen to a guy that is 18-19 that doesn't even own a Z explain to me about cars.
the turbos do not hurt or disrupt the exhaust flow. if it did your exhaust would sound like one constant tone and you would not hear any exhaust pulses at all. is that the case, of course not.
18 or 19???? I am 27 thanks.

Doesn't own a Z???? I own a Z with built motor and TT thanks.

I think your exhaust is a great setup, just don't think it sets the bar based on a comparison to a 1.75" dual Injen, nor do I think the APS exhaust sets the bar.

Here's the exhaust yours replaced:

And here is my car:

I wasn't insulting with my posts. You came out in HUGE defense before I said anything remotely negative, backing your X-pipe before I even made mention of it. I will say it again, your exhaust looks beautiful.

A couple links to my car's setup:
Zivman's TT350Z

Cardomain

Good luck with the exhaust. thanks for looking

Last edited by Zivman; 03-04-2006 at 04:21 AM.
Old 03-04-2006, 04:47 AM
Zivman

And this is the dyno you are referring to:
Old 03-04-2006, 05:43 AM
Gman2004

Originally Posted by Zivman
don't take this the wrong way, but I think the setup you are referring to with gains of 70 lbs of tq isn't anything to be too proud of considering that setup was running a suffocating sub 2" dual setup.
I think that is something to be proud of. Going from a smaller diameter piping to a bigger usually will result in a loss of tq not a gain. I think the X-Pipe is doing something here and those mufflers.....watch the video Scott posted.

Maximumsportz just dynoed his APS TT with the APS 3.5" tp's and 3" exhaust and got 412 rwhp and 368 rwtq @ 9.5psi SAE on a dynojet. I know you really can't compare two different tt turbo set ups, but most APS TT owners with exhaust smaller than the 3" and 3.5" tp's are getting higher tq numbers.

Last edited by Gman2004; 03-04-2006 at 06:00 AM.
Old 03-04-2006, 05:49 AM
chimmike

I love that pic of measuring the injen diameter. If you look, they're not even measuring it across the median of the pipe. Freakin douche. I know it's small, but you're talking an extra 1/4 inch there that isn't being measured.

as for the 3.5" test pipes going to 3" exhaust, you always want it in the REVERSE, never go from big to small in turbo exhaust, as it disrupts the flow/velocity.

If anything, you'd want 3" near the turbo and 3.5" after that, so as to create a scavenging effect with the velocity.

zivman..................i thought you had the APS ST kit.

bah either way, they prolly don't pay you enough for sucking their ***** like you do.
Old 03-04-2006, 07:36 AM
overZealous1

ok, zivman, i did get you mixed up with someone else with a similar name that tends to **** alot of people off.
the fact still remains, torque on most all other dyno tests drops going to a larger exhaust. this was an 11-12% increase going larger. you may like the aps since you have it, but these gains are very unusual and far surpassed everyones predictions and the benefits are now pretty hard to deny. this style X pipe is designed to help torque, and thats exactly what it did, in pretty huge fashion.
hell ya, i'm getting dizzy spinning in circles patting my own back.
Old 03-04-2006, 08:13 AM
G352NV

Thanks Scott cant wait to get it on my car and new Dyno #'s!
Old 03-04-2006, 08:27 AM
overZealous1

Originally Posted by G352NV
Thanks Scott cant wait to get it on my car and new Dyno #'s!
thank you steve, will be shipping on monday or tuesday.
Old 03-04-2006, 09:07 AM
Vq.turbo.DremZ

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Lost the other SVR thread, but any updates on your 2.5 setup? i.e. price, release date, etc.
Old 03-04-2006, 10:49 AM
JisNis

So is there any point in putting on a 3 inch exhausts then?

Quick Reply: Can't decide: APS or SVR; need opinions