Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Can't decide: APS or SVR; need opinions

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 03:22 PM
failsafe306

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Can't decide: APS or SVR; need opinions

Well, I was pretty much set on using the APS 3.5" test pipes with the SVR 3" exhaust, but was told I can't use the APS pipes with the exhaust. Problem is, I really want to use the APS test pipes, so I jumped the gun and ordered them already, but I have yet to order an exhaust. So, should I send back the APS pipes and run the SVR, or keep the APS pipes and just order APS 3" exhaust?
Old 03-01-2006, 03:26 PM
chimmike

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

do the whole APS thing. You don't really need 3.5" test pipes. Aside from the fact that the change in diameter from 3.5" to 3" exhaust isn't very good for velocity, as it adds turbulence in there.
Old 03-01-2006, 03:32 PM
failsafe306

Originally Posted by chimmike
do the whole APS thing. You don't really need 3.5" test pipes. Aside from the fact that the change in diameter from 3.5" to 3" exhaust isn't very good for velocity, as it adds turbulence in there.
Don't you mean "do the whole SVR thing"?
Old 03-01-2006, 03:35 PM
plumpzz

if u've seen the APS test pipes mated to the exhaust, its very nice flow. I've seen it, and it looks great. I heard a clip online too...sounds badass..very deep but gets a nice pitch at WOT.
Old 03-01-2006, 08:03 PM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if your undecided and like each system equally, then why not just keep the $$$ in the good ole USA and go with the SVR? From everything I have seen of it, it looks very nice. If you want those 3.5" Test pipes, you could even use those and have SGP cut and weld flanges in a location that is compatable with the SVR.
Old 03-01-2006, 08:32 PM
overZealous1

Originally Posted by phunk
if your undecided and like each system equally, then why not just keep the $$$ in the good ole USA and go with the SVR? From everything I have seen of it, it looks very nice. If you want those 3.5" Test pipes, you could even use those and have SGP cut and weld flanges in a location that is compatable with the SVR.
this could be done, but the cost might run a concern. if my front pipes were eliminated, some new ones from the test pipes to the inlet of the X pipe could be fabed. but total cost would run you alot more plus welding in the 2 more 02 bungs than if you got my system as a whole with already big 3" test pipe section. i really am trying to give you a non biased look at just the cost difference outside of the Xpipe and muffler advantages in my system. ok, i couldn't help myself but to sneak that last part in there, lol.
Old 03-02-2006, 04:22 AM
captj3

Why wouldn't the aps test pipes work? They replace the stock downpipe and test pipe. The 3.5 test pipes will make those turbos spool real quick.
Old 03-02-2006, 07:23 AM
overZealous1

Originally Posted by captj3
Why wouldn't the aps test pipes work? They replace the stock downpipe and test pipe. The 3.5 test pipes will make those turbos spool real quick.

this is why Download File

you will prolly need to download the pic, but we redesigned the front test pipe area to get better flow going into the X pipe and eliminate some of the sharper bends. not on of our bends are more than 30 degrees. optimum for exhaust flow. but my front pipes could be not used, but a new section would need to be built from the test pipes to my X pipe.
Old 03-03-2006, 01:09 PM
failsafe306

I guess my main question is: am I really gaining much over 3" test pipes and regular downpipes by going with the full APS system?

Also, if I buy the SVR exhaust, is there someone who'd be willing to take my APS pipes off my hands? Brand new in box= $300 + shipping.

Last edited by failsafe306; 03-03-2006 at 01:12 PM.
Old 03-03-2006, 02:07 PM
RedLeader

failsafe306-
I'm running the APS 3.5" test-pipes and the APS 3" exhaust. If Scotts' prototype had been finished, I would have bought his system. I've seen it, heard it, and been to the shop where he's building them. He's using quality components and fabricating an X-pipe that the APS doesn't have. I think it makes for a better sounding exhaust.
On top of that, you save a couple hundred bucks since you don't have to buy test-pipes and a cat-back system. The two extra bungs in the SVR system are an added bonus for those of us with widebands:-)
Just my .02

Bruce
Old 03-03-2006, 02:19 PM
failsafe306

Originally Posted by RedLeader
failsafe306-
I'm running the APS 3.5" test-pipes and the APS 3" exhaust. If Scotts' prototype had been finished, I would have bought his system. I've seen it, heard it, and been to the shop where he's building them. He's using quality components and fabricating an X-pipe that the APS doesn't have. I think it makes for a better sounding exhaust.
On top of that, you save a couple hundred bucks since you don't have to buy test-pipes and a cat-back system. The two extra bungs in the SVR system are an added bonus for those of us with widebands:-)
Just my .02

Bruce
Bruce, that's the kind of info I like to hear. Can you describe as best you can, the differnce in sound, in terms of overall loudness, exotic-ness, overall tone, etc....

I've heard both exhaust clips online, but Scotts video sounds really "digital" on my PC, meaning that I hear that high pitched, streaming vid sound on top of everything, so it's hard to tell what the true sound of the SVR is like.
Old 03-03-2006, 02:35 PM
nickgundara

I have the APS 3.5" test pipes and the new APS 3" exhaust. Im very impressed with the overall quality. The rumble of the exhaust system is definitely noticeable and loud. Its perfect for my car as its not a daily driver. I would probably get a little annoyed if I drove it daily. Before this setup, I had the normal APS test pipes and a Greddy Evo 2 exhaust. It was really quiet compared to the current setup.
Old 03-03-2006, 02:51 PM
RedLeader

failsafe306-
I agree with what Nick just posted: the APS combo is LOUD. I think the SVR Tech setup is slightly quieter, and it has a smoother sound, which I attribute to the X-pipe. Scott said somebody commented that the SVR made his car sound like like a "European V-8". When Z-Car Garage installed the APS system for me, they wanted to weld a crossover or X-pipe of some kind into the system because they said it sounded "unbalanced". I couldn't hear it, and I didn't want to cut my brand-new pipes.
I drive mine every day, but I cringe when I fire it up early in the morning. I don't think my neighbors are feeling the love for the APS...
Old 03-03-2006, 03:13 PM
overZealous1

yes, it actually was the words of everyone who heard the exhaust, said it "sounded like a european v-8". this was at different times of the day, so i got many different opinions on it. not bad to be compared to ferrari, lol.

btw- in my sound clip the record volume was really high. that is prolly where you are getting the buzz from. scale the volume to the passing cars in the rain (you will notice tires rolling on wet ground are not even close to that volume in real life) that will give you a better idea of what to set your volume at. also in the clip there is a horn honking that sounds like it is 10 feet away, that car was a block away, lol. just turn the volume down a little.
Old 03-03-2006, 03:24 PM
captj3

The only thing I see with the aps test pipes is the tubos will spool real quick. If you look at the stock down pipes there is a big difference in size. By the way the svr exhaust looks very nice. I see why the test pipes won't fit. From what I've see and heard the 3" exhausts are loud and they drone a little around 2500 rpms. They can be tough for a daily driver unless that's what you like.
Old 03-03-2006, 03:25 PM
failsafe306

Scott, I think you have me sold. Now, please, somebody buy my very loud, but very nice SFR exhaust! Check my ad for pics and details.
Old 03-03-2006, 04:08 PM
overZealous1

Originally Posted by captj3
The only thing I see with the aps test pipes is the tubos will spool real quick. If you look at the stock down pipes there is a big difference in size. By the way the svr exhaust looks very nice. I see why the test pipes won't fit. From what I've see and heard the 3" exhausts are loud and they drone a little around 2500 rpms. They can be tough for a daily driver unless that's what you like.
3" is still pretty huge, let alone 3.5". i highly doubt much would be had with them.
yes there is some droan at around 2500, but it is inherent to most any exhaust. at 3000rpm and cruising, the X pipe cancelation and muffler effiecentcy grows and the sound is actually on the lines of quite. not matter what condition you are driving in though, it is very easy to have a cell phone conversation or hear the radio turned down low.

here is a link to the mufflers. they are patented and not anything like all the normal glass pack style mufflers every other kit is using. they are now the official muffler of nascar since they started getting hit with noise restrictions. many other race teams use them too and i attribute the sound to the muffler design.

http://www.aero-turbine.com/how/index.html
Old 03-03-2006, 04:15 PM
overZealous1

here is another cool link i just found too that gives some info on the race teams using the mufflers (yes these are the same exact mufflers i use, not a street version or something like that) and the independant testing the teams did.

http://www.aero-turbine.com/racing/
Old 03-03-2006, 04:28 PM
overZealous1

sorry to keep beating this in the ground but i just got an awesome phone call!!! 350ZNV's car just got off ther dyno at jim wolfs to retune for my 3" duals system we just put on.

previous system-injen dual exhaust 14 psi 536hp and 626 torque

SVRTech 3" duals- 554hp and 699tq!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

still got questions on the benefits of the X pipe? word!!!!!!! gained over 70 ft lbs going to a larger exhaust!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! they are still tweaking it too.
Old 03-03-2006, 04:47 PM
G352NV

I knew it would give good gains. This exhaust is the best on the market and some day soon Ill own it! Plus you have to love the direction that Scott is heading with his products! He is also online ALL THE TIME to answer any questions. SVR gets my vote.

Quick Reply: Can't decide: APS or SVR; need opinions