Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Quietest exhaust system.. period

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2006, 10:02 PM
Marvin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quietest exhaust system.. period

I own a 2005 350Z Auto completely stock at the moment. Since I live in Dubai the police are cracking up on loud exhaust systems. its very hard to register a car unless you know somebody.. so I gotta put on an exhaust setup that can add HP but not be too loud.

this is what im looking at:

- Injen intake CAI
- Megan headers
- Megan straight pipes w/ resonator (or other hi-flo cat?)
- Borla TD or Stillen TD (I like the sound of the Borla more)

how would this sound after installation? the only way I would get in trouble is if its LOUD under normal revving conditions (1000 to 3000 rpm?) if it gets too loud for me ill just remove the race pipes and put the stock cats instead.

any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 04-16-2006, 10:06 PM
Bubble
-REPLICA ARMY-

take off the after market header/testpipe then you don't have to worry about the sound. That 2 right there are the cause of loudness.
Old 04-16-2006, 10:09 PM
Marvin

the test pipe/hi-flow cat with headers is what gives the most HP. I want performance not sound since im planning on going with a 100 shot Nitrous setup in the future.
Old 04-16-2006, 10:13 PM
Bubble
-REPLICA ARMY-

and they also create lots of noise. As for exhaust, Nismo or Borla will do.
Old 04-16-2006, 10:23 PM
GTNPU Z
VERTEX Army CEO

How about trying to go the stealth approach? Keep your OEM exhaust so it looks stock but simply change out your Y-Pipe, Cats/Test Pipes, Intake, Headers, & add on a Plenum or Plenum Spacer for more power. From what I was told, it should give your OEM exhaust a more aggressive tone without sounding too loud. Visually this should also keep the cops away since most aftermarket exhausts tend to stand out a bit more due to the tips they use. This is just another suggestion.

On your choices, however, I would either add the test pipes or the headers but not both if you're worried about noise. I personally would probably just go with the test pipes since headers are $$$ to install & won't give you that much of a gain.

Good luck!

Last edited by GTNPU Z; 04-16-2006 at 10:26 PM.
Old 04-16-2006, 11:07 PM
taurran

Fujitsubo > Nismo

It's also quieter, but has a real nice tone to it.
Old 04-16-2006, 11:41 PM
apex locator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i have crawford headers, UR high flo cats, and borla TD....very quiet, very much like stock.
Old 04-17-2006, 07:09 AM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If you want quiet, leave the exhaust stock. If you want performance, then the set-up you listed will be fine.

There are 2 threads this week titled What is the quietest cat-back exhaust? Why not read them rather than asking the question again.

Last edited by davidv; 04-17-2006 at 07:24 AM.
Old 04-17-2006, 05:44 PM
Blue_Streek

i personally surprised at how quiet my HELIX 3" exhaust is. i have that and y-pipe and the car is VERY quiet. only when you get on it hard then it starts to roar.

tommy
Old 04-17-2006, 06:00 PM
DG350Z

I think it really depends. Do you need it to be quiet at IDLE/Crusing or WOT? At idle/cruise I don't think youll have a problem with nismo/borla...but if you want to gas it and don't want lots of noise..maybe fuji...or keep the stock catback and just get HFC/headers.
Old 04-17-2006, 10:15 PM
Marvin

If you want quiet, leave the exhaust stock. If you want performance, then the set-up you listed will be fine.

There are 2 threads this week titled What is the quietest cat-back exhaust? Why not read them rather than asking the question again.

well this thread read "quietest exhaust SYSTEM" as everybody by now already knows how quiet the Borla and Stilllen are but how a header and test pipe effect the noise level?

yes I am looking for quiet during Idle/cruising. basically below 4000 rpm.
Ive decided to go with the setup I initialy mentioned and if things get too loud then ill remove the test-pipe and leave the stock cats in. if I need the power ill get a hi-flow cat and see how that goes.
Old 04-17-2006, 11:08 PM
nosser

Originally Posted by GTNPU Z
How about trying to go the stealth approach? Keep your OEM exhaust so it looks stock but simply change out your Y-Pipe, Cats/Test Pipes, Intake, Headers, & add on a Plenum or Plenum Spacer for more power. From what I was told, it should give your OEM exhaust a more aggressive tone without sounding too loud. Visually this should also keep the cops away since most aftermarket exhausts tend to stand out a bit more due to the tips they use. This is just another suggestion.

On your choices, however, I would either add the test pipes or the headers but not both if you're worried about noise. I personally would probably just go with the test pipes since headers are $$$ to install & won't give you that much of a gain.

Good luck!
I have a similar setup tp, ypipe, plenum spacer, intake, crank, pulley with a stock exhaust and at WOT its pretty loud, but under normal driving conditions it is ok and you still have the stock look. Depending on the test pipes you may have some rasp without an exhaust. I do ( but i'll sacrifice sound for power) Remember the stock exhaust is not that restrictive and if you're only changing it for hp you should just get something else like a clutch and flywheel or some gears, crank pulley, or a UTEC
Old 04-18-2006, 12:54 AM
taurran

You've got to be kidding me if you think the Borla is quieter than than the Fujitsubo.
Old 04-18-2006, 01:32 AM
Dubai

Marvin,

I have borla exhaust and crawford HFC, I can tell you that this setup is loud under WOT especially when you add an intake like the popcharger. however under normal driving (below 3500 RPM) it sounds somehow quite and nice.

as for the police, I didnt have any problems with them yet it might just be me, but a friend of mine have a custom exhaust/test pipes and I can tell you that his car is extremely loud. he got 2 tickets because of his loud exhaust.

And I dont recommend to get anything called "Megan". I heard bad reviews about their products, search the forum.
Old 04-18-2006, 10:55 AM
Marvin

Marvin,

I have borla exhaust and crawford HFC, I can tell you that this setup is loud under WOT especially when you add an intake like the popcharger. however under normal driving (below 3500 RPM) it sounds somehow quite and nice.

as for the police, I didnt have any problems with them yet it might just be me, but a friend of mine have a custom exhaust/test pipes and I can tell you that his car is extremely loud. he got 2 tickets because of his loud exhaust.

And I dont recommend to get anything called "Megan". I heard bad reviews about their products, search the forum.
I dont mind the loudness under WOT. im not worried about cops more about renewing the car every year. I recently had to spend 600 dhs to remove my exhaust and headers on my CRX to get it registered cause it was too loud (which it hardly was)

as for Megan ive heard nothing but good reviews on the forums. and I have a Megan headers on my CRX and the quality was top notch. I dont see paying $400 more for a branded product that will be more or less exactly the same.
Old 04-18-2006, 01:33 PM
RnRRacing

There is a couple of ways to really keep the noise down. The proper use of resonators and HF Cats will make it quiet, but still perform like you want.
Old 04-18-2006, 07:23 PM
Netko350Z

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

You are telling me in the land of ENZO's, SLR's, CGT's...they are going to be worried about exhaust noise???
Old 04-19-2006, 12:15 AM
Marvin

the police are not gonna bother people who have paid more than half a million $$$ for their cars. its the same everywhere in the world.
Old 04-19-2006, 08:22 AM
Tony@Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

From my personal experience, JIC's DE1 single exit exhaust can be reletively quiet if you are using the resonated mid-pipe, and keep the silencer in the muffler itself. This ends up quieting that exhaust down a lot. Also, since it's a large diameter piping setup, exhaust flow is improved. I liked the performance of this setup personally, when combined with a good y-pipe such as the JIC or Nismo.
Old 04-19-2006, 05:39 PM
taurran

Originally Posted by Tony@Performance
From my personal experience, JIC's DE1 single exit exhaust can be reletively quiet if you are using the resonated mid-pipe, and keep the silencer in the muffler itself. This ends up quieting that exhaust down a lot. Also, since it's a large diameter piping setup, exhaust flow is improved. I liked the performance of this setup personally, when combined with a good y-pipe such as the JIC or Nismo.
Actually, the resonated version of this exhaust is very restrictive (under 2"). Ask some of the guys in the FI forum. Many have cut out the resonator and replaced it completely.

Quick Reply: Quietest exhaust system.. period